• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What ROM's are people using and why?

Baadnewz 1.8f is by far the best Rom I have put in my desire.

Why?

My first rom was Leedroid but I was tempted to try some of the DHD roms, my favourite so far has been Baadnewz DHD, I like(d) the skin options and the (now no longer functioning for me) phone finder. I have that as my Nandroid back up, but I'm currently trying out a 0.6 Z rom (bigger fonts ...yaaaay).

I've also tried one of the MIUI roms but it wasn't really to my liking, also just removed Gingervillain 0.9 but I found that I was making it look like a HTC Sense rom .... so I thought I may as well go back to what I seem to like the most.

I agree, every other Rom I used, I found myself trying to replicate sense. Then I tried Miui and I loved it. Neat touches like the ability to change the LED colour, the messaging themes or the power bar widget all built right into the rom. Sure, some of these can be done in sense, but it's a hassle and they never work as seamlessly and flawlessly. I find myself torn between the two roms. I love miui, but miss things like the official sense clock, the linking contacts and the widgets. There are alternatives, but they are never the same.

As much choice as android offers, I am still to find my perfect solution (/ rom).

Upvote 0
Too bad the dev is a jerk and throws temper tantrums every time you ask a question though.

To be fair to him he was pretty good at the start but people kept on asking the same old questions over and over...despite most of the answers being on the pg1 FAQ...

Stuff like..how do i create an EXT partition and will this ruin my warranty.... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
To be fair to him he was pretty good at the start but people kept on asking the same old questions over and over...despite most of the answers being on the pg1 FAQ...

Stuff like..how do i create an EXT partition and will this ruin my warranty.... :rolleyes:
Then he needs to ignore those posts, it's that simple. ;)

Not everyone is a dev and he comes off as an arrogant ... in the process.

Don't really care, I'll just use his rom and he has to live with himself. :D

Upvote 0
I am on stock rom. Why? I love it and I love to see the "An update is available..." when an official OTA update is rolled out!

+ I think it must be one of the most stable roms.

I remember when I had Omnia i900 I was constantly wasting time upgrading to different roms in order to make it better. It was like a quest for a "holy grail", never to be found...

The Desire on the other hand has a f&*() great stock rom! :)

Upvote 0
I am on stock rom. Why? I love it and I love to see the "An update is available..." when an official OTA update is rolled out!

+ I think it must be one of the most stable roms.

I remember when I had Omnia i900 I was constantly wasting time upgrading to different roms in order to make it better. It was like a quest for a "holy grail", never to be found...

The Desire on the other hand has a f&*() great stock rom! :)

I thought the same until i tried some of the better modded roms....:)

Upvote 0
stay with stock as long as you can as then your desire will take longer to become dated in your mind!!!
my train of thought is like this
if you start customising immediately then you get used to the top end side of roms quickly and once youve found the holy grail there is no where else to go, you get bored and start over tweeking
if you take your time and only make a change when you have got tired of your desire in its current state then adding a new custom rom will give it a new lease of life again.

Upvote 0
I agree Rastaman. I used my Desire on 2.1 for about 4 months waiting for the FroYo update, then after another month of constant low storage warnings I rooted and added a ROM with A2SD+ support. THAT was my only reason to flash a new ROM, but I'm so glad I did. Having experienced the factory installed ROM for a while I could see the improvements and had a benchmark to compare against.

Upvote 0
stay with stock as long as you can as then your desire will take longer to become dated in your mind!!!
my train of thought is like this
if you start customising immediately then you get used to the top end side of roms quickly and once youve found the holy grail there is no where else to go, you get bored and start over tweeking
if you take your time and only make a change when you have got tired of your desire in its current state then adding a new custom rom will give it a new lease of life again.

I think I'm a case in point here

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones