• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What ROM's are people using and why?

Well I've not been able to find a description of how physically the cpu voltage is controlled, so I'm going to resort to (very!) basic circuit theory:

If you have a fixed voltage across a circuit (e.g. between 2 terminals of a battery) the way I can think of controlling the voltage across one component is by varying the resistance of something that's in series with it.

So if I have a variable resistance R in series with a fixed resistance r:

V = I * (R + r) = I*R + I*r

and so the voltage across r is V*r/(R+r). Thus increasing R decreases the voltage across r (as more of the potential drop is over the larger resistor). And if V might decrease (as the battery discharges) adjusting R would allow you to keep the voltage across r constant.

Moreover, since the current I is given by V/(R+r), and power = V*I = V^2/(R+r), increasing R (and hence the total resistance) reduces the net power usage in the circuit as a whole. So reducing the voltage across r this way would save power.

Now I've no idea whether that's remotely close to what goes on inside the phone, but the principle seems plausible. If I remember I'll ask our electronics engineer tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was looking for the battery % thing myself. Like the side-scrolling notification power widget - guess IB's been rocking that for at least five days though :)

Just been playing with kernels, themes next...

Does he mean me? He surely does. That particular widget was introduced around build 14 so its been about a week since that appeared. All the nightlies have been very stable apart from one that had so much lag at start up I flashed back to the previous. Thing is now if GV 1.0 is out, CM7 is still building nightlies, so GV still going to have to be updated if its to keep parallel.

I'm off to the kitchen, I want the Miui style battery bar.

Upvote 0
Well I went for a small scotch in the end - keeping it away from the phone though!

I may be going back to the theme kitchen tomorrow, but I've done so many flashes, installs, cache clears etc tonight that I don't have the juice left. It's only a % battery I'd want though - would leave the rest as is. That's if it's compatible with my new theme-chooser setup...

It tends to give you pretty good previews of what it is you are building, and it's very mix and match, so pick just the bits you want. I've not had anything that really didn't work from there - a few things that didn't look as good as I thought, and were undone quickly, and have never used it for boot animations or window animations (I'm sure you don't need those with CM anyway). Adding a battery % to the gingerbread-style battery didn't really work for me - I found the battery icon slightly too narrow for the numbers.

Upvote 0
Yeah stolen stright from Miui, or that's where I saw it first anyway and there were more options on that one, I'll wait till morn to flash to flash the next nightly, then I going to sit tight until the signed zip I think, all this updating is rediculous, sometimes there is no perceivable change in the builds.

Tomorrow I might go to the trouble of rebuilding the old hard drive, I managed to fill 145Gb in 8 days!

Upvote 0
Have a look at the FAQ.

Being in the US isn't a limitation in itself, but if you are CDMA rather than GSM your choice of ROMs is much more limited. That's the main difference I know of. On the other hand, the preferred rooting tool (unrevoked) provides S-Off (more complete system access) on many CDMA Desires, so it's not all one-sided.

Upvote 0
I am back to using leedroid as I tryed oxygen and it was nice but don't like Zeam, I tryed Cyanogen but didn't like the fact it doesn't include the market, I am not too keen on sense but leedroid at the moment seems the simplest rom to use, can any one recommend some really good roms with a great UI that I can customize easily?

gingervillain is a bit like cyanogen but does include google apps.

Upvote 0
I'm on leedriod 2.3d... it was the first time I rom'd anything .. but with ROM manager it's far to easy !!!!!!
My Desire is now faster , battery is better etc and it has not got any of the ORANGE UK rubbish ...
I was told at first I had to do X , Y , Z etc to do it .. by rooted ( unrevoked ) and then rom'd.. took me 4 months to rom it... LOL as I was a wee bit iffy about it !!..

Fab ... love it

Upvote 0
Google apps is just a simple zip! It funny how some people dont like things that other people see as a good idea. I don't like the way tyres contact with asphalt, there has to be a better propulsion.............solution.

I'm already flashing 4 zips per rom. I also like knowing in advance how much system space I need as I like to over-complicate things

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones