• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What screw size do I need for the triumph?

I'm replacing the LCD and digitizer screens so I can give my old Triumph to my brother. But while in the process of taking the phone apart, two of my screws have been completely stripped. I managed to get them out but am going to need to find replacements for them. What size do I need and where in the world can I find them? I have already searched and searched and I cannot find any information. I see some cell phone screws on eBay but do not want to risk buying any that are the incorrect size. I figured you guys might be able to help me out with my quest. I already have everything I need to fix the phone, I am just missing screws. Oh and one last question, how do I glue the digitizer back in to place?

Thanks!!

First, I don't know the screw dimensions without taking my phone apart again and measuring them... Wish I'd have thought of that while it was apart.

Now, you say they are stripped. Are you talking about the torx head of the screw?

If not, I suspect that the screws themselves are not stripped. Are you SURE that it's not the screw HOLES that are stripped?

I would think that would be more likely since the screws thread into plastic. If that is indeed the case, new screws won't help. I can't remember if some of the screws thread into brass inserts.

If it's the plastic that the screws thread into, I would suggest rebuilding the holes by carefully using a drop of glue/epoxy/something to get the screws to cut new threads.

Just a thought...

Upvote 0
The screws themselves are stripped as I had trouble unscrewing them, but not the other screws. The rest of the screws in the phone came out in seconds but I tried to work with these two particular screws for a good hour before I gave up. Doing so stripped them completely. It was the two screws that held the top half of the phone together, where the camera bezel is. And that little piece of plastic on top, I basically just had to pull it off. I had to use a small pair of needle nose pliers afterwards in order to get the screws out successfully.

I'm going to go to a hobby store and see if I can match the sizes. But thank you for the advice. I'll get some glue while I am there. Can I get replacements for the plastic casing that goes on top of the camera bezel? A little piece broke, but I guess worst comes to worst I could glue it back together. :(

Upvote 0
The screws themselves are stripped as I had trouble unscrewing them, but not the other screws. The rest of the screws in the phone came out in seconds but I tried to work with these two particular screws for a good hour before I gave up. Doing so stripped them completely. It was the two screws that held the top half of the phone together, where the camera bezel is. And that little piece of plastic on top, I basically just had to pull it off. I had to use a small pair of needle nose pliers afterwards in order to get the screws out successfully.

I'm going to go to a hobby store and see if I can match the sizes. But thank you for the advice. I'll get some glue while I am there. Can I get replacements for the plastic casing that goes on top of the camera bezel? A little piece broke, but I guess worst comes to worst I could glue it back together. :(

Pretty sure what thangfish was asking was "did you strip the head or did you strip the threads". Sounds to me like you stripped the head if you had that much trouble getting them out, if you'd stripped the threads they would virtually fall out on their own, or just require you to pry on the reverse side of the head as you turned them.
What kind of driver were you using to get them out? The head on those are a T6 IIRC. When I took mine apart (to resolder the charge port shell) I had a T6 but not a T5 to remove the inner screws so I used a couple of jeweler's needle files to make a T5/6 hybrid, filing down multiple splines of just the very tip, as I still needed the T6 to reassemble it.
(the point there is if the driver you were using fit the inner screws and you used it on the first two outer screws, that's what did it. It was too small and they are in fact two different sized heads)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones