• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what SE messed up when making x10

i posted this on the official se x10 forum too but you guys n gals here generally know more than the official fanboys do lol

Why let networks brand YOUR phone making it.. well to be frank rubbish, it took vodafone ages to update from 014 to 024 leaving us all with poor battery grips among other things whilst generic os users had this fixed very early on? this in my opinion gives you and your device a bad name even though it is the network that is the root of the issue? you don't see anyone messing with apples baby do you!

Why is it not multi touch? flag ship phone and no MT are you mad? i suggest you take a look at this link and get your boffins on it as some sort of fix is more than possible Hacker cons HTC Touch Pro 2 into providing multitouch, other WinMo devices too (video) -- Engadget
if they can put MT on a restive touch screen surely our x10s would be a piece of cake?

Why android 1.6? we all want 2.1 or even better 2.2 and i think we all would gladly sacrifice timescape and blue wallpapers to have it, next time you make a so called killer app host it on the store and give us the choice..

Inventors of the walkman.... i think you could of done better especially on sound front, maybe you should talk to srs they make great add on software, would not be without the one i have for itunes srs iwow.. as for looks you was on the right track with the w960i walkman should of carried it over/improved on it

no infrared now i know its old school but i think the kid in us all would love a universal tv remote sort of app on this beautifull phone but alas no ir so no remote...

and possibly your biggest mistake, make some ps3 apps like messaging, check store, compare profiles, streaming, use phone as a keyboard to send messages when online limitless potential wasted on twitter apps that already exist in so many guises

Why does the screen lock the minute i put the phone down after a call? this is more of an annoyance than anything else

there, 7 questions/ideas would love a real answer and not a scripted one but hey your sony

feel free to add your own questions about things left out or overlooked that make little to no sense to you

people do mess with the iphone....its called jail break

SE have always updated to old technology...dunno why there bothering with 2.1 when 2.2 is out. They should be leading with technology, not trailing behind

Also the camera..even though is 8mb like the c905...but the 905 takes ALOT better pictures in my opinion.

I wished i held out for the iphone 4 (even though its only 5mb) but stuck in a 2 year plan with this hunk of old tech junk!

Hoping the old 2.1fw will improve it like a new phone....not holding my breath though

Upvote 0
You think 024 is bad with Vodaphone? Rogers is still on 020 as far as I know (I rooted to get around having to wait for updates). Unfortunately though, to my knowledge it's pretty standard for the handset manufacturers to let the carriers to distribute phone updates. Often the carriers want to tweak things for their own pre-installed apps, or simply to have network settings and such automatically entered. As annoying as this is, it's not at all limited only to SE.

The lack of multi-touch hardware support has been discussed in great detail going back well to before the X10 was released. It is a baffling decision, and the only logical explanation most can fathom is that SE wanted to stay protected from Apple's lawsuits regarding MT. It's much more likely that it was simply an uninformed decision made by upper management for the sake of cost cutting. Either way, I agree that it's a dumb move.

I don't think anyone will disagree that the X10 should've shipped with 2.1 from the get-go, or at the very least had 2.1 available within weeks of first release. What's even more baffling is that SE then went ahead with spending months on a 2.1 update (which still isn't out yet), instead of skipping 2.1 altogether and going straight for FroYo.

I have no complaints about the sound capabilities of the X10. An equalizer setting would've been a nice bonus, but not a requirement for me.

Infrared. Don't care. It would be one more thing to eat up battery power with a very limited use. We'd be better off if SE were to make a BT-to-IR box that you can attach to your devices. Personally, I use RemoteDroid to control my MMPC.

Don't have a PS3. App would be neat, but then I'd prefer to see an app for full Steam integration.

Reactions: Hunted
Upvote 0
people do mess with the iphone....its called jail break

jail breaking much like rooting is an end user choice im talkin about network providers putting junk (like 360 in vodas case) on the phone slowing updates down for contract customers compared to sim free un-branded handsets.. all of apples updates come out everywhere across the board no matter who you are with at the same time.

and i am aware now that sony lied about multitouch issue (it was stated in an interview with se exec and i took it as a statement and no longer researched the phone as i was happy with what i had heard) but if you look at the link for engadget in 1st post you will also see some very clever xda developer has made it possible for this too work on a resistive screen which makes me think some tinkering with the os/fw could make at the least dual touch an option.. do not just dismiss this as an option, and yeah it may not be a big deal but gaming without dual/multi touch is just rubbish... i don't care about pinch to zoom etc just want to be able to run a decent platform game/emulator

Upvote 0
well i agree with all you guys and i think pretty much most will, as fo the updates.... well all jus load of cock and bull tbh, as said before it should be across the board regardless, im still stuck on 16 so hav to baby sit the batt is jus a pain in the a*** on a handset that will cost a small fortune when buying it outright, (or even cotract) along wif the big issues the small ones are gripping me too, writing a txt or email the keyboard is shocking but also if i get part way thru and want to turn it sideways if u hadnt put a space in after a word it will delete it ? also if i connect to my headunit via 3.5mm and make a phone call u can hear people but they cant hear u so i think i shuts the mic off unless ur using there headphones, !!!

Upvote 0
Why let networks brand YOUR phone making it.. well to be frank rubbish,

Basically Apple won't let the networks mess with their phone. Their policy is unless you abide by our rules then we won't let you sell it ;)

I had, and was very happy with Nokia phones for a couple of years until Orange started messing with them, so I switched to SE as they remained untouched but even that eventually changed :mad:

Reactions: Hunted
Upvote 0
Basically Apple won't let the networks mess with their phone. Their policy is unless you abide by our rules then we won't let you sell it ;)

I had, and was very happy with Nokia phones for a couple of years until Orange started messing with them, so I switched to SE as they remained untouched but even that eventually changed :mad:

the phone makers should take a leaf out of apples book and tell the networks to keep there dirty inept little fingers out of their devices, for a while i was cussing sony for some of the issues i was suffering only to find out that they had fixed them and it was infact vodafone who where holding back the update and also thanx to voda we do not get play now or crea-touch among god knows what else sony intended for the handset that vodafone obviously new better than... gggrrr i hate branding it should be illegal lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones