• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What should be the directory setup on the Incredible's Micro SD card?

What directory should I create for pictures on the micro SD card that I put in my HTC Incredible so that Android recognizes them and adds them to the photo application? What should be the directory name for music files so that the music player knows where to look for them? What should be the directory for video files?

Upvote 0
What directory should I create for pictures on the micro SD card that I put in my HTC Incredible so that Android recognizes them and adds them to the photo application? What should be the directory name for music files so that the music player knows where to look for them? What should be the directory for video files?

I'm a noob to Android but here's my experience when I first got my Incredible, I moved a SD card from my old phone to the Incredible and the card already had mp3s and wma files in folders labeled "English", "Classicals", "Spanish", "Mid Eastern", etc. and the in-built HTC music app just saw them and played them (at least the mp3s) without any problem. Something similar happened with the jpg files I already had on the SD card.

With the SD card in Incredible I used the Astro app to create more folders like "mp3" on the card and moved all folders containing mp3s in to this new folder and they were still found/recognized by the HTC music app. So I guess it doesn't really matter where they are - the apps should find them.

But I'll let other more experienced/senior members of this forum weigh in with more insight.

Upvote 0
For photos, it depends on how you are saving them via the camera app. If you set it to save on the microSD, it should create a DCIM/100MEDIA folder, which is where you would place your photos. I think if you use Astro to create a folder within the root directory of the microSD, it will also recognize that, however all pictures taken will end up in the DCIM folder, which means you have to manually move them over if you would like those pictures to be in a different folder.

Music, you can just make an MP3 folder on the root of the microSD

Videos, although I have not done this, should be under the same photo directory, if not, then probably /media

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I'm having an issue with this. At first when I installed and formatted my SD card I moved the MP3 folder that was on the internal memory to the SD card and deleted it from the internal memory. The music player still saw the files. I then added a Podcast folder into that same MP3 root directory and added some podcasts and audio books to it, and again the music player still saw the files. But then I created a MEDIA folder at the root directory and moved my podcasts and videos into it. The stock PHOTOS app still sees and plays my videos, but now the music apps do not see my podcasts and audio books. Where did I go wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones