1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What should I do first?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SkipShowers, Jan 13, 2012.

1. SkipShowers

SkipShowers Newbie
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    HVAC Tech
    North of Boston
    Just received my first smart phone, the Commando. I'm pretty good with the PC but a complete noob when it comes to this Android. I'm charging it now and after I activate it and reload my contacts, was wondering what I should do next? Should I update the firmware? How do I know what version I have? I've also read about "rooting" the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong, that is unlocking the phone so I can remove or freeze apps that I don't want to use. I take it it will help the phone operate smoother. Also read about problems people have updating the phone after rooting it because they deleted apps. So I should only freeze them? What app do I need for rooting the phone? Or should I?
    What keyboard should I get? and anything else for that matter?
    Sorry for so many questions with my first post, but I've learnd to get it right the first time. I'm sure I'll have alot more questions.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement

2. h20534

h20534 Newbie
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    New York, USA
    First of all, welcome! :cool:

Second, I wouldn't worry about rooting your phone right now. Chances are you won't need any of the additional features that rooting provides, and if this is your first experience with a smart-phone I would just stay stock until your fully comfortable with it, and than move on from there. Basically, what I'm saying is don't just jump right into it and root your phone-give it a few months time and see if you really need any of the additional advantages rooting may provide. Usually most people don't need to root.

Also, to check if your updated hit the menu button on the bottom of your phone, click settings, click "about" and than click "System Update". If your phone says your updated, your done! If not, it'll tell you there's an update waiting. For future reference, any updates that Verizon/Casio/Google push out to your phone should notify you automatically, so you don't need to keep manually checking yourself.

As for alternate keyboards, the best FREE one you actually have to download from the internet. It's an alternate/upgraded version of HTC's keyboard that they use in their phone, click on the link here for the download and instructions (Make sure you download the one that says "High Resolution/Froyo). Note that if you decide to download this keyboard, you'll first need to do this beforehand.