• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what should i do????

getting htc hero today...need help on what i should do,such as gingerbread,updtes etc..:thinking:..please any advice welcome

If you are getting a new Sprint HTC Hero today and you want to remain stock, as in unrooted, then you are stuck at Android 2.1, which is Eclair. If you want to root and flash a custom ROM, you can update to Android 2.2 or Android 2.3, which are FroYo and Gingerbread respectively.

Sprint and HTC do not have an update that will get you to Android 2.3 on the Sprint HTC Hero. Create a thread in the root section to ask how to deal with rooting and custom ROMs if you want: Sprint Hero - All Things Root - Android Forums . There are lots of knowledgeable folks on these forums that are more than willing to help you out.

Upvote 0
If it's a Sprint Hero, then unless it's a 'free' hand-me-down, don't get it since it's at end of life. If your getting it from the Sprint store or authorized retailer, then get the Sprint Evo Shift instead since it is practically the same physical size as the Sprint Hero, but with a larger screen and upgraded processor/memory. Not to mention the Sprint Evo Shift is running Android 2.2 out of the box. Here's a Sprint HTC phone comparison.

Also, Sprint corporation just tweeted a teaser about a 'next new Sprint phone' being announced on Thursday. So, you may want to wait until then if your buying from Sprint or authorized retailer.

Upvote 0
If it's a Sprint Hero, then unless it's a 'free' hand-me-down, don't get it since it's at end of life. If your getting it from the Sprint store or authorized retailer, then get the Sprint Evo Shift instead since it is practically the same physical size as the Sprint Hero, but with a larger screen and upgraded processor/memory. Not to mention the Sprint Evo Shift is running Android 2.2 out of the box. Here's a Sprint HTC phone comparison.

Also, Sprint corporation just tweeted a teaser about a 'next new Sprint phone' being announced on Thursday. So, you may want to wait until then if your buying from Sprint or authorized retailer.

Not everyone has the $150 + (after upgrade money) to spend on the Evo Shift. I saw the Hero this weekend at our Sams's Club for $.96 (96 cents) after upgrade money. The Hero is still a good phone, when rooted, especially at that price. End of life? My laptop was end of life after 6 months...3 years ago, and still does what it needs to do for me just fine.

Just tryng to put a little perspective on it, as not everyone has to have the latest and greatest device every 6 months. :cool:

Anyway, the OPs question had more to do with how to optimize the Hero, then second guessing the purchase decision.

So, motogpgirl, as it was mentioned already, please feel free to ask for help rooting your hero, and we will help you make it a great phone. :)

And, welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0
Not everyone has the $150 + (after upgrade money) to spend on the Evo Shift. I saw the Hero this weekend at our Sams's Club for $.96 (96 cents) after upgrade money. The Hero is still a good phone, when rooted, especially at that price. End of life? My laptop was end of life after 6 months...3 years ago, and still does what it needs to do for me just fine.

Just tryng to put a little perspective on it, as not everyone has to have the latest and greatest device every 6 months. :cool:

Anyway, the OPs question had more to do with how to optimize the Hero, then second guessing the purchase decision.

So, motogpgirl, as it was mentioned already, please feel free to ask for help rooting your hero, and we will help you make it a great phone. :)

And, welcome to the forums!

thanks for the advice..however where should i begin??i dont have a clue about "rooting" roms,etc...dont want to sound incompetent,but i am clueless on where i should begin.. i kinda need step by step..also..will it slow the phone down any?what exactly does the rooting,and roms do for the phone??

Upvote 0
Did you see my post above? If you are interested in rooting, go ahead and post here: Sprint Hero - All Things Root - Android Forums . Just call it something like "I would like to root my phone, please help" and people will be glad to help, me included. ;)

A brief explanation of rooting would be that it gives you access to everything on your Sprint HTC Hero, including system files and internal files. With that access you can make changes, like deleting Sprint bloatware, or flashing a new ROM. Think of a ROM as a customized build of your handset's operating system. It could be plain and vanilla Android like one sees on a Google Nexus One, or it could have a skin like HTC phones do with Sense UI. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones