1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whallon, Feb 23, 2011.

1. whallon

whallon Lurker

So I am really excited, I have decided to upgrade to the Inspire. I have an iPhone 3g, so it has been a while since I upgraded :)

I love my iPhone (except that is runs so sluggish now) and I am a bit nervous about the switch to Android. So my question is, what can I expect with the change? I have been lurking for a while, so I know there are several others who have switched from the iPhone 3g, what are the biggest differences - good and bad? (for example I read about how the Inspire does not have an external toggle to turn the phone to vibrate, there is nothing wrong with that, it is just a difference :) )

I am also interested in how to make the most of my switch, what are things that I should learn to utilize right away?

Thanks! :)

Advertisement

2. antioch216

antioch216 Well-Known Member

I did the saem thing, iPhone to 3G. I'm loving it so much lol.

First thing to learn, is app management. When ever you hit home, it'll background that app you were in, therefore it can still pull data and battery ie, Pandora and such. You'll have to force those apps closed under Applications---Running in settings.

As far as what to do first, condition the battery! run the initial charge down, then charge to full, run it down again and then let it charge to 100% and then a little more. The inspire's only downfall is arguably a small battery. Learn power and app management, it's no problem. I get 15 or so hours out of mine (it's been off the charger since 7, its now 4 and I'm at 66%).

I also recommend just reading about Android in general, it's different than iOS and takes a little bit of learning. If you don't learn about it, it can be a pain and hard to use. But don't get frustrated, we have lots of Android forums like this! We'd be more than happy to help!

3. whallon

whallon Lurker

antioch216, what do you like the most about it? (I can't wait for the phone to come!)

4. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast

I would really recommend you don't do this. :) Android handles background app management just fine on it's own.

5. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

And from what I'm reading, it's not necessary to "condition" the battery.

6. kb58

kb58 Well-Known Member

I think most people would say "versatility."

7. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast

Coming from an iPhone 3GS

I love the HUGE screen. Things look awesome. And I love the widgets that live update and don't even require you to open the app to get a quick preview of what is happening. I love the sounds, and little vibration that happens when I hit a letter on the keyboard, oh yeah, the keyboard is awesome. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to and then you are off and running.

HTC Sense 2.0 is great. Launcher Pro is even better.

Expect a learning curve. I don't mind learning because I am an adult, and it is worth it for this phone's features.

Expect most apps to be free and work better than apple's.

Expect people to ask you about your phone cause the screen is so awesome and big.

8. chief113

chief113 Well-Known Member

What can you expect? This phone cures cancer.

9. antioch216

antioch216 Well-Known Member

hmm, this is kind of a tough question for me. I definitely love the 4.3" beastly screen. And just the customization between home screens and widgets.

Still getting a hang of Android in general, like they said, Froyo does, management well so most of the time you don't need to force stop any applications.

I know it's a dead horse, but the battery is killing me. I can't seem to get it to last as long as others are doing. I honestly love the phone for what it is, but it doesn't really suit my usage (I go pretty heavy on usage). I'm waiting to see what rooting can do for my battery, but I may just take it back and wait for another HTC phone. But don't let my usage deter you!

10. If your usage is that heavy no Android phone will suit you. If you can't get on the low end 10 hours out of this phone then your not gonna get any better from any Android no matter the mah of the battery

11. whallon

whallon Lurker

Thanks for the info :) I expect a learning curve, just because it is a different platform. I remember when I got my first blackberry, there was a bit of a learning curve there too :)

Wow cures cancer huh? Sweet - they should be flooding the market! lol

I am curious how I will do with battery life, I think I have pretty heavy use, but use is so subjective, I will just have to wait and see. The phone should come today or tomorrow :)