• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What smartphone feature do you never use?

I have an old HTC EVO3D. Ironically enough, I never use the 3D camera.
+1

It never got used on my former 3vo with the exception of 3d spiderman game that came on it lol

Nfc, Bluetooth, swipe to capture etc etc everything bloat in Samsung that tries to make it more than just a smartphone never gets used.

Reactions: Revenant Ghost
Upvote 0
Guessing this is a factor that went into OnePlus' decision to cut NFC from their latest offering (s).
I know a lot of people were howling about that, and probably most of whom likely never used it. On the other hand, NFC is a flagship feature, and the OP2 was supposed to be a "flagship killer" LOL

Wechat supports NFC for exchanging contact details, you touch the phones together, but I've never used it for that either. I've found it's just as easy to scan a Wechat QR code from the screen, and every smartphone has a camera of course.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I know a lot of people were howling about that, and probably most of whom likely never used it. On the other hand, NFC is a flagship feature, and the OP2 was supposed to be a "flagship killer" LOL

Wechat supports NFC for exchanging contact details, you touch the phones together, but I've never used it for that either. I've found it's just as easy to scan a Wechat QR code from the screen, and every smartphone has a camera of course.
I think the NFC/I-R Blaster & SD Card are all flagship features.
Those that are steering away from Samsung's latest have valid points,as one is supposed to be a multi-tasker/Swiss-Army knife (NOTE5) & the other a media powerhouse (S6 Edge+).
Stripping features perfectly suited for those qualities is a real head scratcher...........

If we follow the logic that Samsung & OnePlus presumably used to ditch these features (seldom used/not necessary/etc...),what's gonna be next?
At this rate,in about 3-4 years,we'll be right back to where we were about 10-15 yrs ago,or worse,on par w/Crapple......... :eek:

Upvote 0
For what it's worth ... I know one Android user who had used his phone for 14 months and never knew that he could add applications to it. He only used the pre-installed apps.

No I am not making this up.

... Thom
Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If we follow the logic that Samsung & OnePlus presumably used to ditch these features (seldom used/not necessary/etc...),what's gonna be next?
At this rate,in about 3-4 years,we'll be right back to where we were about 10-15 yrs ago,or worse,on par w/Crapple......... :eek:
Although there certainly are people who never bought an sd card, I doubt even their marketing department could call that "seldom used" with a straight face.

Samsung claim it's because their new storage tech is so much better that sd is too second-class to inflict on people, but that smells of self-serving bovine excrement. My guess is that they figured that it would be more profitable to sell larger fixed storage, and the technology story is trying to hide the motivation while claiming that everyone else's products are inferior.

Upvote 0
Although there certainly are people who never bought an sd card, I doubt even their marketing department could call that "seldom used" with a straight face.

Samsung claim it's because their new storage tech is so much better that sd is too second-class to inflict on people, but that smells of self-serving bovine excrement. My guess is that they figured that it would be more profitable to sell larger fixed storage, and the technology story is trying to hide the motivation while claiming that everyone else's products are inferior.

That's true, that Samsung 64GB of flash storage is a lot more costly and precious and profitable when it's internal.
samsungmi-1358671007-2840.jpg

"Smartphone" but not Samsung Smartphone.

Upvote 0
this thread has revealed to me how little i actually need a cellphone.

i never use: nfc. headphone jack. google now. camera. bluetooth.

rarely use (maybe once a month): dialer

i think the only time this past week that i even pulled the thing out of my pocket was to cast netflix to my t.v. and i could have easily just used the roku, but i was too lazy to sit up and reach for the roku remote that was 8 inches out of reach.

so what the heck do i even have the damn thing. i'd be adequately served with semaphore, or maybe even smoke signals.

Upvote 0
Definitely the fingerprint sensor. Still a gimmick IMO.
Wi Fi Direct. With 74 (?) some odd radios in the thing, it's vulnerable enough. Nope.
Headphone jack? Want it there but hardly use it.
NFC, unexplored but looking for an app that would make use of it.
Wireless charging? Unexplored as well.

IR sensor? Love it, use it daily since I am surrounded by TVs and converter boxes at work.

Upvote 0
Let's see, I don't even know what an IR blaster is, so I guess that should top the list for sure, lol. But I have never ever used bluetooth, and being Italian I never use Google Maps either! If Columbus could find American by himself, I can find any place on my own too, lol.
But Columbus was trying to sail to India...
Yeh, Columbus was trying to find India, finding America wasn't his intent.

What's so wrong about heading out to the gym and ending up at a Dunkin Donuts by mistake? ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones