1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What smartphone feature do you never use?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by lunatic59, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Do Aeroflot still train pilots to perform instrument landings by pulling blinds down in the cockpit on fully loaded passenger flights?

Just curious ;)

lunatic59 and mikedt like this.
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Nope, and Aeroflot doesn't let the pilots' children fly the aircraft these days...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593
    Moscow to Hong Kong on Aeroflot, I've done that route as well.

My objective is an easy, cost effective, quick and safe way to get from China to UK and back again.

Yeh....derailed threads.. LOL

#52 mikedt, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Hadron likes this.
  3. PrinceCorwin

PrinceCorwin Android Expert

Fingerprint reader. I'm not sure if it's safe

4. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

I don't use:
    s-beam
    NFC
    pen

5. 12noon

12noon Newbie

I don't use my phone as a sat-nav and i've never used the book reader. One of the silliest things is that i hardly ever use my phone to actually talk to people. I do answer my phone if someone rings me, but in the two years that i've had this phone i bet you could count on one hand how many times ive actually rang someone up.

PrinceCorwin likes this.
  6. hiredgun

hiredgun Android Expert

I have to agree with you there, and I have something like over 1oo free minutes a month and I still don't call anyone!! I do think it's a good idea to answer when THEY call though, as you pointed out, lol.

12noon likes this.
  7. PrinceCorwin

Call someone? You can do that?

12noon, PattiCakeUS and lunatic59 like this.
  8. dan330

I thought only iphones makes calls!!! didn't they invent that?

PattiCakeUS and PrinceCorwin like this.
  9. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Miracast / other screen mirroring feature. There's nothing that I do on my smartphone that would be better served by blowing it up to a larger screen while keeping the same resolution.

Casting content via Chromecast, on the other hand, is a feature I use almost daily.

PrinceCorwin likes this.
  10. PrinceCorwin

Ditto and ditto

11. dan330

oh .. and the mulit screen / multi tasking.

I really want to use it.. I need to use it... but it is too hard.
    it does not reconfigure in a way for me to use... cuts off what I need to access or see.

PrinceCorwin likes this.
  12. Robert7107

Robert7107 Android Enthusiast

13. PrinceCorwin

Yeah, haven't seen a practical use for that either. I think a lot of these functions like the multi screen in the NFC are for people that don't know how to accomplish things the way people like us on these forums know how to do them

14. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I'm a big fan of NFC - particularly with the new and improved Android Pay that just launched. I've also used it a lot in the past for quickly "beaming" apps and other information from one device to another without requiring any sort of pairing, and also for triggering various profiles and automation with Tasker. In fact, I'd say NFC is one of my favorite hardware features - I'm way more interested in that than I am in expandable storage.

Just to name a few practical uses of NFC.... ;)

lunatic59, Clementine_3 and KOLIO like this.
  15. PrinceCorwin

Guess I just haven't needed that instant transfer yet. All my stuff gets synced to all the devices in my home via Dropbox /Dropsync. When I save something it's on the other devices in seconds.

lunatic59 likes this.
  16. Nomusa53

Nomusa53 Newbie

WiFi Direct = No but headphones & Hotspot = yes (to connect Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 when there's no WiFi)

lunatic59 likes this.
  17. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

Bluetooth. Absolutely no use to me. Tried it once years back but after that never really bother with it. Dont use developers options except to turn on usb debugging.

lunatic59 likes this.
  18. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

I've previously stated NFC was low on my go-to/gotta have features,but,if Android Pay/Samsung Pay gain traction in the places/areas I frequent,I may change my tune.
    A BTW/PSA:
    If anyone was curious as to if rooting breaks either Android Pay or Samsung Pay,ATM it appears so.
    Android Pay no workee on my rooted Note 5 or LG G Stylo.
    However,as soon as I removed root from the Stylo,it loaded up.
    On both when rooted,I got this Nasty-Gram:
    [​IMG]

codesplice and mikedt like this.
  19. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

Sorry to stray off-topic a bit,but,this is promising:

I unrooted my LG G STYLO (still had TWRP installed) & successfully installed ANDROID PAY,ready to go.
    Then,I re-rooted & Android Pay is still ready to go.
    Gonna ODIN my NOTE5 back to stock & try this out
    Although the root process is a bit different,I'm hoping for the best...................

20. Tringle

Tringle Lurker

The FM radio. Because Samsung in its infinite wisdom unilaterally and incorrectly decided that this was a feature I did not need.

mikedt, KOLIO and PrinceCorwin like this.
  21. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

I would actually welcome this w/a real functioning antenna as many of the phones in other markets have.
    I do not use wired earbuds (which act as the antenna),so,I kinda feel your pain.

Tringle likes this.
  22. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Don't use NFC or the fingerprint scanner.
    I use the headphone jack, but I plug a Square card reader into it. It's been decades since I used headphones of any sort for music (thank you bluetooth).
    I use the IR blaster semi-regularly, but never at home. I use it to turn off/down too loud TVs at restaurants. I know, I'm a bad person, but not once has anyone ever said "Hey, why is the TV volume so low?"

Tringle and KOLIO like this.
  23. Tringle

Tringle Lurker

[QUOTE="KOLIO, post: 7082518, memb how theer: 383516"
    I do not use wired earbuds (which act as the antenna),so,I kinda feel your pain.[/QUOTE]
    Yes you can see how the economics work though. Nothing in it for the carriers if Joe user listens to FM radio. But Internet radio is using up some of the data allowance. Samsung bowing to pressure or making decisions on features which maximise their products' attractiveness?

KOLIO likes this.
  24. It has been a long time since I had a phone with a FM radio.

I did not use ear buds. As memory serves me I had an ear bud cable with the buds chopped off and this when inserted in the headphone jack provided the antenna. The two severed leads were NOT connected. Sound came form the speaker.

... Thom

Tringle likes this.
  25. sleedeane

sleedeane Android Expert

The camera. Once in a blue moon I might take a picture of something.
    Almost seems like a waste having such a nice camera and never using it.
    I also don't use the fingerprint scanner.