• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What smartphone feature do you never use?

Do Aeroflot still train pilots to perform instrument landings by pulling blinds down in the cockpit on fully loaded passenger flights?

Just curious ;)

Nope, and Aeroflot doesn't let the pilots' children fly the aircraft these days...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593
Moscow to Hong Kong on Aeroflot, I've done that route as well.

My objective is an easy, cost effective, quick and safe way to get from China to UK and back again.

Yeh....derailed threads.. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
I have to agree with you there, and I have something like over 1oo free minutes a month and I still don't call anyone!! I do think it's a good idea to answer when THEY call though, as you pointed out, lol.

I don't use my phone as a sat-nav and i've never used the book reader. One of the silliest things is that i hardly ever use my phone to actually talk to people. I do answer my phone if someone rings me, but in the two years that i've had this phone i bet you could count on one hand how many times ive actually rang someone up.

Reactions: 12noon
Upvote 0
I don't use my phone as a sat-nav and i've never used the book reader. One of the silliest things is that i hardly ever use my phone to actually talk to people. I do answer my phone if someone rings me, but in the two years that i've had this phone i bet you could count on one hand how many times ive actually rang someone up.
Call someone? You can do that?

Upvote 0
I'm a big fan of NFC - particularly with the new and improved Android Pay that just launched. I've also used it a lot in the past for quickly "beaming" apps and other information from one device to another without requiring any sort of pairing, and also for triggering various profiles and automation with Tasker. In fact, I'd say NFC is one of my favorite hardware features - I'm way more interested in that than I am in expandable storage.

Just to name a few practical uses of NFC.... ;)

Upvote 0
I'm a big fan of NFC - particularly with the new and improved Android Pay that just launched. I've also used it a lot in the past for quickly "beaming" apps and other information from one device to another without requiring any sort of pairing, and also for triggering various profiles and automation with Tasker. In fact, I'd say NFC is one of my favorite hardware features - I'm way more interested in that than I am in expandable storage.

Just to name a few practical uses of NFC.... ;)
Guess I just haven't needed that instant transfer yet. All my stuff gets synced to all the devices in my home via Dropbox /Dropsync. When I save something it's on the other devices in seconds.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
What smartphone feature do you never use?

I was putting my phone in my car dock this morning, like I do every morning and I noticed a hole on the top of it. For a second I thought "I don't remember that being there" and then I realized it was the headphone jack. It occurred to me that I NEVER use headphones with my phone. I have a separate device (okay, it's an iPod -- 3rd generation nano -- the square one) that I use for tunes with a head set.
WiFi Direct = No but headphones & Hotspot = yes (to connect Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 when there's no WiFi)

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I've previously stated NFC was low on my go-to/gotta have features,but,if Android Pay/Samsung Pay gain traction in the places/areas I frequent,I may change my tune.
A BTW/PSA:
If anyone was curious as to if rooting breaks either Android Pay or Samsung Pay,ATM it appears so.
Android Pay no workee on my rooted Note 5 or LG G Stylo.
However,as soon as I removed root from the Stylo,it loaded up.
On both when rooted,I got this Nasty-Gram:
u9uY8Kel.png

Upvote 0
I've previously stated NFC was low on my go-to/gotta have features,but,if Android Pay/Samsung Pay gain traction in the places/areas I frequent,I may change my tune.
A BTW/PSA:
If anyone was curious as to if rooting breaks either Android Pay or Samsung Pay,ATM it appears so.
Android Pay no workee on my rooted Note 5 or LG G Stylo.
However,as soon as I removed root from the Stylo,it loaded up.
On both when rooted,I got this Nasty-Gram:
u9uY8Kel.png

Sorry to stray off-topic a bit,but,this is promising:

I unrooted my LG G STYLO (still had TWRP installed) & successfully installed ANDROID PAY,ready to go.
Then,I re-rooted & Android Pay is still ready to go.
Gonna ODIN my NOTE5 back to stock & try this out
Although the root process is a bit different,I'm hoping for the best...................

Upvote 0
Don't use NFC or the fingerprint scanner.
I use the headphone jack, but I plug a Square card reader into it. It's been decades since I used headphones of any sort for music (thank you bluetooth).
I use the IR blaster semi-regularly, but never at home. I use it to turn off/down too loud TVs at restaurants. I know, I'm a bad person, but not once has anyone ever said "Hey, why is the TV volume so low?"

Reactions: Tringle and KOLIO
Upvote 0
[QUOTE="KOLIO, post: 7082518, memb how theer: 383516"
I do not use wired earbuds (which act as the antenna),so,I kinda feel your pain.[/QUOTE]
Yes you can see how the economics work though. Nothing in it for the carriers if Joe user listens to FM radio. But Internet radio is using up some of the data allowance. Samsung bowing to pressure or making decisions on features which maximise their products' attractiveness?

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones