1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What smartphones have SD problems?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by CybrGuy, Jun 26, 2013.

1. CybrGuy

CybrGuy Member

So, everyone knows, due to it's popularity, that Samsung's GS3 (and Note) have serious problems for some users with SD card failure. It may be a problem with the phones, or the cards, or some common app. I have recently read that some folks with HTC phones are having a similar problem. Since there are relatively few smartphones models with SD card slots it has been hard to pin down exactly where the problem lies.

My theory is that something in the Samsungs is exposing a flaw in SD cards rather than the other way around, but it would be very helpful if other users of other smartphones came forward with their own SD card failures. The overwhelming numbers of GS3s out there skews the data making it look more like a Samsung problem, so it is critical that non-Samsung failures are reported to the community or the card makers and the data is made available.

How do we go about making that happen? Has anyone seen any data from Sandisk on who has been complaining?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bhero

bhero Android Enthusiast

you sound like you are more interested in whos to blame. you forget to mention jellybean

3. CybrGuy

CybrGuy Member

Actually not at all. I am interested in preventing it from happening again to my phone. But finding the reason or source of the problem is necessary in any hope to resolve it. If Samsung is the source, they have to fix it. If it is sd card makers, they will have to fix it unless the phone vendors can work around it, etc, etc.

If it turns out it is happening on all vendors smartphones with sd capability, it may be something in the card or common among smartphone oses, which yes, may be JB. This problem didn't happen to me until I was using 4.1.1, but only happened once and I have since upgraded to 4.1.2. There are many variables that must be collated before we are likely to get an answer and that is difficult on a rapidly moving target like the Android phone market.

4. Stannis the Mannis

Stannis the Mannis Rapscallion

I use a SanDisk Ultra 16gb on my Optimus L9, since updating to JB 4.1.2 LG has implemented the move to SD card feature and i've had no problems with the SD card.

5. musiclover56

musiclover56 Lurker

Actually, I cant find the things I saved in my SD card too....

6. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert

I have a class 10 32gb Sandisk card in my razr and it works flawlessly.

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

It's not an Android issue.

A few specific Samsungs have known issues with a few specific sd card models.

The Samsungs work with other cards and the cards that don't work with other phones.

Compatibility issues happen.

It's not a perfect world.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I've never had memory card issues across 4 differen brands, 5 different OS. I mean the old 2GB memory card I have still works and its older than my phone or tablet. Heck the 16GB card in my Tab right now is about 3 or 4 years old I think.

9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

SD cards do eventually wear out, especially if one is taking a lot of pictures and erasing them repeatedly. I've never heard of any particular problems with Samsung phones and SD cards. There's a huge problem with a lot of fake SD cards, especially counterfeit Sandisk, which either just don't work at all or fail prematurely.

10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

There are certain compatibility issues, the ones to avoid show up in a few of our Samsung device forums.

One that I recall is some models won't accept a card rated only as UHS-1 from SanDisk, only ones rated Class 10/UHS-1. That's the 64 GB example but there are others.

Meanwhile, last year's HTCs do just fine with a UHS-1 card, although not properly rated. I'm using one myself.

A few of the higher end Sammies are simply incompatible with a few cards. One will wear the incompatible cards very quickly.

Known issue, but not an Android one. I've yet to see it reported for other brands.

Counterfeit cards still pop up as well.

mikedt likes this.