1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What smartwatches have metal caseback?

Discussion in 'Wear Os' started by lvt, Feb 16, 2020.

1. lvt

lvt Android Expert

I'm currently considering to buy a smartwatch, but through the reviews they seem to have plastic casebacks which I don't like.

So far the TicWatch Pro and Huawei Watch 2 have metal casebacks.

Do you know other smartwatches with metal casebacks?

Thanks.

2. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Note: the watch doesn't need to be on Wear OS, I'm open to all kinds of smartwatches.

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  3. kobo

kobo Lurker

My Fossil 5th gen Carlyle has a metal back

lvt likes this.
  4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

I know it's out of the budget range for many smartwatch enthusiasts, but I have a Montblanc Summit 2 and I am thrilled with it. It has a gorgeous metal body with a timeless design. It runs on the Snapdragon Wear 3100 processor; it has useful controls and internal apps (like stopwatch and music controls); it's water-resistant and goes from car to track to pool to office. It is, without a doubt, the BEST smartwatch I've owned... which is quite a few, ever since the original Moto 360 was released.

lvt and codesplice like this.
  5. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

@The_Chief Montblanc, the ultimate pen company makes Smartwatches now? When did this happen?

6. lvt

lvt Android Expert

They used to make high-quality automatic wristwatches so it's not a surprise to see them making smartwatches.

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  7. lvt

lvt Android Expert

The Montblanc Summit 2 and the Fossil Gen 5 look strikingly similar.

8. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I hope they still do make high-quality automatic watches, since the cheapest automatic in their current range is £1,500 (I know that many watch enthusiasts call this "affordable", but I'd still expect quality at that price).

lvt likes this.
  9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Montblanc was one of the early adopters for the 3100 processor. I love that turning the crown scrolls the screen: so for things like Settings, I can just spin the crown to scroll instead of the old swipe-swipe-swipe on the screen. The two hardware buttons can be configured to any app I need (I have stopwatch on the top for my workout walks and Google Play Music on the bottom button). I'm hoping that if/when Qualcomm finally announces the mythical 3300 upgrade, which will replace the 3100's 28nm process with a 10nm process, Montblanc will grab the chip for the Summit 3.

lvt likes this.
  10. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Can you please tell me how the caseback is held to the watch case? Through the photos from Internet it seems that the caseback is glued to the case?

11. rjedgar

rjedgar Lurker

Casio ProTrek WSD-F30 has a metal back.Its held on with screws.

codesplice likes this.
  12. IvanS

IvanS Newbie