• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What SSD should I get?

This is what I found from my research:

- Crucial is good budget, Marvel controller ~ $300
- Samsung uses their own controller (so reliable firmware updates) ~ $330
- Plextor has a custom firmware for the Marvel controller ~ $340
That sounds about right. Crucial and Samsung are fairly reliable. Samsung has been making SSDs for a long time and I believe their SSDs are the ones commonly used by OEMs (e.g. Lenovo, etc). I believe Apple also uses Samsung SSDs for their Macs (seriously, though, $600 to upgrade to a smallish SSD?).

And yes, you're right, the difference in performance between SF-2000 SSDs and other SSDs in the same class is barely noticeable in daily use unless you're in the habit of running benchmarks.

Upvote 0
I also really dont trust OCZ, I'm not sure why -- kind of a gut feeling. Some people have great luck with them, but at least a few have quite the opposite.

That statement can apply to any manufacturer you look at. I have heard bad about all of them as well as good.

OCZ has been ruling the pack for quite some time and they have left SF for the Vertex 4 and are going with... Da da DAAA...Indilinx:eek:. Aparantly the results are good though, they are getting rave reviews on it.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
Just checked newegg, the prices have definitely dropped. Drops seem to be by $20-$60 bucks on 256 & 240 GB drives.

Crucial M4 is now $250ish (from $300ish)
Samsung 830 now $280 (from $340)
Intel 520 is now $320 (from $360ish?)
OCZ has a range of drives from $200-$420....So no idea about those.

I'm very tempted to give the Crucial M4 a try. It's not gonna win any performance awards, but it doesnt seem to trail behind by much.

Upvote 0
I received an ad this morning from my local Micro Center which is selling the 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD for $49.99. At the end, I decided to not buy any SSD since I don't really NEED one, but wanted one.

:eek::eek::eek: At that price you should have gotten two! I won't build a system without ssd's anymore, the speed difference is amazing.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
:eek::eek::eek: At that price you should have gotten two! I won't build a system without ssd's anymore, the speed difference is amazing.

Meh, better off buying a single 120/128GB for $99.99. Similar performance as 2x60/64GB in RAID-0.

SAMSUNG 830 Series 512GB SATA III (SSD)

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC512D/AM 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit

$35 off w/ promo code SAMSSD514, ends 5/17 (newegg promo code not mine)

I was considering it last night at $675 (after coupon) but they dropped the price $50 while i slept! :D

So total was $625 and no tax or shipping. :thumbup:
Nice. That's a bit too rich for my taste (the laptop it's going inside only cost $600). :rolleyes:

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
Just ordered this:

SAMSUNG 830 Series 512GB SATA III (SSD)

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC512D/AM 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit

$35 off w/ promo code SAMSSD514, ends 5/17 (newegg promo code not mine)

I was considering it last night at $675 (after coupon) but they dropped the price $50 while i slept! :D

So total was $625 and no tax or shipping. :thumbup:

If your spending that much you should definitely be buying one of my cases!:D

Upvote 0
If your spending that much you should definitely be buying one of my cases!:D

lol I totally might. I may be needing something cool for a HTPC in a few months. Might be interesting to mount one of your cases on a wall or something :D How is the open design with a dry, static-laden climate like a Northeastern winter?

This was the last upgrade for my main puter though.* I built my gaming rig about 2.5 years ago and am trying to keep it running strong for another 2-3.

I replaced:
- 6GB 1066 RAM with 12GB 1600
- 2x GTX260's in SLI with GTX480 (and a old cheap geforce for extra monitor)
- Trying to push my overclock to 4.0 GHZ (core i7 2.66 OC'd to 3.8ish)
- But unfortunately I need to re-seat my CPU heatsink and get some fans on my Northbridge. The temps are insane in there.
- Mobo is fine (EVGA X58 SLI)
- now replacing my Samsung spinpoint F1 7200 1TB drive with the SSD.

(* although I think im gonna swap my GTX 480 for a GTX 670 using evga step up)

Upvote 0
lol I totally might. I may be needing something cool for a HTPC in a few months. Might be interesting to mount one of your cases on a wall or something :D How is the open design with a dry, static-laden climate like a Northeastern winter?

Not sure on that one yet and not sure how well it would work as a wall mount. The frame is strong enough, the question is how to pull it off.

Upvote 0
Heck yeah! :burnout:

Actually the thing that really got my attention about the 670 was that it was a beast of a card but used very little power and they finally hit the $400 mark. (the 690 is like what $1100? :D )

Makes me feel like I should have waited on getting my 580. I paid almost $400 for that bad boy. Dang poo.

Upvote 0
Yeah I felt like I made a mistake getting my 480. It was way faster than my dual 260s in SLI, but it's loud and hot and just barely run skyrim at ultra settings (so, not very future proof). And since the difference in price isn't huge, I think I will step up to the 670 soon. I'd love to have a card that "laughs" at skyrim's ultra settings. :D

The 580 is a beast though. That should do well for at least another year or two.

The only cards that dont seem worth it to me are the "90s" 590 and 690. So expensive...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones