1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What tablet do I get?!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by LeOldDroid, Mar 17, 2016.

1. LeOldDroid

LeOldDroid Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2016
    Female
    housefrau
    USA
    I have a quandary; my Tab 3 8.0 is approaching 3 years of age and I need to start saving up for a replacement when my Tab 3 starts to not work as well. It's starting to need reboots more often. Problem is I have yet to FIND a suitable replacement; many of the android tablets now seem to be not very good. This makes me sad, I love my Tab 3! Yes, I actually use and need a tablet.

I need a tab that doesn't have grievous flaws and has plenty of RAM/storage etc; ie: an upgrade not a downgrade. :/

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    If you have had your tab3 for a few years a factory reset may solve some of its issues . I have a tab 10.1 that I've had over 4 years that is still working well though slow compared to new devices. It's last update was to 4.0.1 but I found CM10.1 built for it that helped.
    Lots of development for your tab at XDA. Custom ROM might let you squeeze more life out of it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-3/development

LeOldDroid likes this.
  3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    A Tab S2 is the most obvious choice. Top of the line Android tablet and specs alone blow the Tab 3 out of the water. The Tab 3 never had great specs even at launch anyway.

If you're going on a budget, I'd take a look at what ASUS offers. Samsung also has mid range tablets but they don't seem to have good bang for buck.

tube517 and LeOldDroid like this.
  4. LeOldDroid

LeOldDroid Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2016
    Female
    housefrau
    USA
    I have factory reset it ah, once. I am always reticent to factory reset any device lol. I will have to back up everything on Google Drive and reset my "baby." Money is a factor; I will have to save up for quite some time to get a new tab and thus, I need to make the right choice. The s2 is interesting, I think I will stick with an 8" tab no matter what I get.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  5. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    I picked up a Nexus 9 a few months ago that I have been happy with. Trying to break away from Samsung's bloat and slow updates. I'm not a gamer and use tab mostly for web so it's specs suite me fine and 32gig WiFi about $300 at Amazon. Can pick up used devices in good condition reasonable at Swapa also.

https://swappa.com/

LeOldDroid likes this.
  6. LeOldDroid

LeOldDroid Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2016
    Female
    housefrau
    USA
    I heavily use my Tab 3 for PDF annotating, Youtube viewing, Netflix, Instagram, Fakebook, researching, even use it to shoot video and photos in a pinch. Also use it for reading, email, forums, banking, google drive, downloading stuff, light gaming. Basically, it's my go-to portable consumption device that I still use the heck out of even though I now have a laptop. I went from a Nook tab 16gb (which I adored!) to this device. :)

7. admob

admob Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Galaxy tab S first gen, great prices now.. better specs than 2nd one, but lower prices.. great bit of kit.

LeOldDroid likes this.