1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What tablet should I get?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Amagrace, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Amagrace

Amagrace Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2012
    I would like to purchase my first tablet. I'm a university student and being as i'm in my 2nd year now, writing notes with a pen just really hurts my fingers and consumes quite a bit of time and with the course that I study, there are a lot of notes to be written; in lectures, seminars, private studies and so on. In addition, my laptop is just too heavy for me to take it everywhere and I have pdf files that I would like to study from while i'm not in my flat.

I want a tablet that allows me to make my own notes the way I would be able to do with paper and pen and make diagrams (not high quality drawings) along with my notes; as well as read pdfs and other text files. I am no computer wizz/geek and to be honest from the reviews i've looked at relating to the tablets i'm considering, I have no idea what the reviewer is saying most of the time; talking about jelly beans and gigahertz and technological terms I have no idea what they mean.

I know that I want a 10" tablet because of small texts that I would have to read on it. I have decided on either the asus memo pad 10 me102a or the samsung galaxy tab 3 10.1. My main concern is the price and longevity of the tablet. Like I said, i'm in university and the course that I study just doesn't allow time to have a job as well, so I am completely that broke uni student. I still have almost 5 years of university left, so I don't have a whole bunch of money to throw away. The Asus is cheaper than the galaxy tab and from the little that I know of tablets, they seem to basically be able to do the same things. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a popular brand name when there are other not so popular branded tablets out there that can do the same things big brand named tablets do. I want something that would last and not give me any problems, i.e. I don't want to have to spend money on repairs or buying another tablet a year from now due to shoddy tenchnology. So please, I would like advice on which of these tablets best fulfil my requirements. Thanks and I apologise in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.

Advertisement

2. aerophoenix1

aerophoenix1 Newbie
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    Male
    PERSONALLY..... nexus 7 is the way to go.... but for a great screen.... galaxy tab 10.1 .... or NOTE 10.1

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi Amagrace, I moved your thread to the Device/Carrier Comparisons forum which is dedicated to discussions about comparing and choosing different devices and carriers.

Hope you're able to find a great tablet :)

DragonSlayer95 likes this.
  4. Amagrace

Amagrace Lurker
    None

Apr 9, 2012
    The question was really a comparison between asus and samsung galaxy tab. And i'm not sure about a great screen, a screen is a screen to me as long as what I can read is clearly visible.

5. aerophoenix1

aerophoenix1 Newbie
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    Male
    Then the prefered tablet should be an asus nexus 7... or if u want to go big... then nexus 10

6. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast
    None

May 26, 2013
    i have a nexus 7, both models, and the nexus fanboys are wrong. it is NOT the way to go. a uni student needs a 10" model for pdf viewing.

if i had little money to spare, and needed a respected tablet that would be able to muddle through, i'd look into an asus transformer line. i mean, you can probably pick up a transformer prime, which i have and is perfectly functional, for less than 200 USD. you pick up a dock to go with it, and you'd be set.

i love the nexus line, and i have 4 nexus devices. it kink of makes me puke though that it is the first recommendation you see, and then the fanboys jump in. it makes it so you cannot get valid feedback and input. i mean, someone might ask for the best 8" windows tablet, and you'll see the N7 recommended. wtf.

the nexus 10 is fine device, i admit. but it'll cost you.

good luck my friend.

7. aerophoenix1

aerophoenix1 Newbie
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    Male
    I have the n7 and i have no issues with it

8. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    The OP asked for opinions on the 10" Asus Memo Pad vs the 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, so please keep responses relevant to those two devices.