• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Tasker profiles is everyone using?? (This thread is NOT for requesting help with profiles)

Well, as a newcomer to the forum and to tasker I will say that more details in how the profiles are set up would be helpful. I see a lot of the profiles which are utterly brilliant but I don't understand tasker enough yet to actually be able to do the more complicated things myself without more details.

ask whoever posted it :) or quote the post and ask for more details here, i (for one) will try to help, i'm sure others here will too

Upvote 0
When I first installed Tasker I went through a lot of things and had my phone where I liked it. I wanted to use location and Wifi services to activate profiles, so I removed most of my tasks and profiles and started over. I'm really close to where I want to be with it, but just as a friendly reminder to new users, start simple. It's easy to get in over your head.

Read the whole Tasker thread for Profile examples. You'll also see a link to the Wiki site where instructions and examples reside.

Can't stress how true this is..

I've just rewritten / reviewed all my profiles and tasks (27 profiles, 33 tasks!) based on what I've learnt since I purchased Tasker in August last year, primary goals being to streamline my profiles and reduce battery usage. I've been beta testing them all week to check that nothing is amiss :D

Upvote 0
Is there a way to adjust the scan frequency dynamically that would override the scan frequencies in preferences? So during most of the day it would use the default scan periods, but maybe from 5:00 to 7:00 pm I could have it check network location every 30 seconds or so? Can I set up a timer to do this?

Not sure (I don't think so though) - if it's not on the feature request list then you could ask for it to be added.

Upvote 0
I have a profile based on being within range of a cell tower at home
that sets a variable to 1, and then another profile that if that
variable is 1, it turns on WiFi near. When I am coming home, it will
turn on the WiFi Near, and when I arrive home, it will hooke to my
wifi SSID. But after a couple minutes, it turns the WiFi back off. and
so forth. Back and forth, WiFi won't stay on unless I manually turn
it on.

When I leave home, it never turns WiFi off. That happens when the
%HOME variable gets set back to 0 (when I disconnect from my SSID).
But given that WiFi is not running due to the WiFi near profile and it
is nto active, then it also does not turn off the WiFi, because of not
being active in the first place, it does not call that exit task.
I am on Android 2.2.1 (Serindipity 3.5.2 ROM). I am beginning to think there is something new in 2.2.1 that is messing with Tasker and WiFi near. This has worked flawlessly for me for quite some time on 2.2.

Anyone have any thoughts? I posted in the Google Tasker messages support area, and have no feedback there.

Upvote 0
I have a profile based on being within range of a cell tower at home
that sets a variable to 1, and then another profile that if that
variable is 1, it turns on WiFi near. When I am coming home, it will
turn on the WiFi Near, and when I arrive home, it will hooke to my
wifi SSID. But after a couple minutes, it turns the WiFi back off. and
so forth. Back and forth, WiFi won't stay on unless I manually turn
it on.

When I leave home, it never turns WiFi off. That happens when the
%HOME variable gets set back to 0 (when I disconnect from my SSID).
But given that WiFi is not running due to the WiFi near profile and it
is nto active, then it also does not turn off the WiFi, because of not
being active in the first place, it does not call that exit task.
I am on Android 2.2.1 (Serindipity 3.5.2 ROM). I am beginning to think there is something new in 2.2.1 that is messing with Tasker and WiFi near. This has worked flawlessly for me for quite some time on 2.2.

Anyone have any thoughts? I posted in the Google Tasker messages support area, and have no feedback there.

I have a similar profile and I'm on 2.1. It works flawlessly for me.

I have a profile "Near Home" - which sets the %NEARHOME variable to 1 *and* turns on Wifi. On the exit task, the variable sets to 0 and turns off Wifi. (So Near Home just ensures my Wifi radio is turned ON when I'm within 2kms the house or OFF if I'M farther than 2kms)

Separately, I have a "HOME" profile, determined by two contexts
Context:
Wifi Near (to home wifi ssid) - I found I had to set this context in order ensure that my HOME profile stays on while I'm home.
Wifi Connected (to home wifi ssid)

Entry Task:
%HOME = 1 (I use this variable to help decide/change my profiles automatically)
I set the volume, keyguard off, display timeout, wallpaper, etc.

Exit Task
%HOME = 0
Wait 1 minute
Perform Task "Decision" -- (which automatically determines which profile to turn on next if I'm not home, e.g., "work", "default, "car", etc)

Upvote 0
I changed mine again. :)
Wifi Near my home, it starts the Home profile/task.
It changes the wallpaper and changes audio settings.
On exit, it starts Normal, which changes to another wallpaper and a few other sound settings, turns GPS on.

I go a few places. When I'm near any of those then it makes other changes after starting another profile.

I have a profile menu also for when I need to manually set one, as well as USB power connected, AC power connected, headphones, etc.

And I have one called Studio, so when I manually set that, I plug in the speakers, it sets the phone to silent and starts Pandora or Doubletwist.

I still want to be creative though and do something else.

Upvote 0
just a quick question. i have a tasker profile for certain apps to trigger 3g being turned on. the only issue i have is that when I'm using it (with slacker radio in particular), the 3g turns off; this only occurs if i try to put slacker radio in the background and do something else (read email/text etc).

anyway to fix that so i could stream music and text/read email at the same time?

Upvote 0
This is my first post, so please forgive the ignorance. I'm trying to create a task that once connected to the car blue-tooth will open an app, raise the volume. Upon shutting the car off (disconnecting BT) want the app to close and volume to lower.

This is what I have so far:

Bluetooth Connected (To Car Name, address)
Tasks:
Kill APP Music
Load App Sirius XM
Media Volume 12

Exit
Tasks:
Kill App Sirius XM
Media Volume 5

Any help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
This is my first post, so please forgive the ignorance. I'm trying to create a task that once connected to the car blue-tooth will open an app, raise the volume. Upon shutting the car off (disconnecting BT) want the app to close and volume to lower.

This is what I have so far:

Bluetooth Connected (To Car Name, address)
Tasks:
Kill APP Music
Load App Sirius XM
Media Volume 12

Exit
Tasks:
Kill App Sirius XM
Media Volume 5

Any help would be much appreciated.

What do you need help with? The one thing I can say is that unless you have a phone with Android 2.1 or lower you can not use tasker to kill an app. That is the only thing I have missed since upgrading to Froyo and now Gingerbread.

Upvote 0
This thread has been a huge help to me. I now have a collection of tasker profiles that make life easier. Yet, I'm always looking for more.

I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of this one yet, and it was so simple. I was getting sick of listening to music or specifically talk radio on Sirius/XM and having it cut when someone text or called me (due to the alert/ringer).

I created a profile with the context of applications running that played music (Sirius/XM, Pandora, etc). Then I set Silent Mode -> Vibrate. For the exit task, I set Silent Mode -> Off.

Probably the easiest profile yet, but one that I can tell is going to to make me pretty happy.

Upvote 0
This thread has been a huge help to me. I now have a collection of tasker profiles that make life easier. Yet, I'm always looking for more.

I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of this one yet, and it was so simple. I was getting sick of listening to music or specifically talk radio on Sirius/XM and having it cut when someone text or called me (due to the alert/ringer).

I created a profile with the context of applications running that played music (Sirius/XM, Pandora, etc). Then I set Silent Mode -> Vibrate. For the exit task, I set Silent Mode -> Off.

Probably the easiest profile yet, but one that I can tell is going to to make me pretty happy.

I use one like this for when I listen to music during a photo shoot. I don't need it bothering me.

Upvote 0
Pardon me if this has already been covered, I did do some searches but couldn't find what I'm looking for... I wanting to setup a task that if a specific person in my contacts calls at a specific time, it silences the phone, just for his phone calls, and turns the ringer back on after he calls.

In other words, I'm wanting to ignore a specific contact during a specific time only. Is this possible?

Upvote 0
Pardon me if this has already been covered, I did do some searches but couldn't find what I'm looking for... I wanting to setup a task that if a specific person in my contacts calls at a specific time, it silences the phone, just for his phone calls, and turns the ringer back on after he calls.

In other words, I'm wanting to ignore a specific contact during a specific time only. Is this possible?

Yes, it is possible.You would need two Contexts (Phone Ringing with your contact's name, and a Time frame to be checking - 08:00-08:30). Then your only task would be Phone > Silence Ringer.

Profile: "Unwanted Call"
Event > Phone > Phone Ringing, Caller: 1234567890
Time, 08:00-08:30 (or whatever you want)
Task:
Phone > Silence Ringer

Reactions: joehornback
Upvote 0
Is there any simple way to have a task that disables all profiles (changes the status of all profiles to off)?

I know I can change individual profiles. What I want is to be able to create a widget which will turn on Airplane mode + Disable all Tasker profiles. I found that if I only activate Airplane mode that some things still turn on (like Wifi Near checks will still toggle Wifi on and off). However, I don't want to disable the Tasker monitor because I have Tasker widgets that I would still want to function.

Is there a simple way to do this without having to add EVERY profile to the task (and then update it anytime I create a new profile)?

Upvote 0
Yes, it is possible.You would need two Contexts (Phone Ringing with your contact's name, and a Time frame to be checking - 08:00-08:30). Then your only task would be Phone > Silence Ringer.

Profile: "Unwanted Call"
Event > Phone > Phone Ringing, Caller: 1234567890
Time, 08:00-08:30 (or whatever you want)
Task:
Phone > Silence Ringer

Thanks Rob, I have set it up like this, but one thing, if the specified caller calls, it will silence the ringer, will it remain silenced from that point on? I only want it silenced while he's calling. I seem to remember tasker telling me that it would reverse after the event but I cannot remember and I want to be sure...

Upvote 0
Thanks Rob, I have set it up like this, but one thing, if the specified caller calls, it will silence the ringer, will it remain silenced from that point on? I only want it silenced while he's calling. I seem to remember tasker telling me that it would reverse after the event but I cannot remember and I want to be sure...

Yes, it will return to normal after your pest calls. :)

Reactions: joehornback
Upvote 0
Same - here, I really like tasker - still learning!
These are my profiles
For Battery Saving:
Screen On - enables data
Screen Off - Disables data if screen does not come back on in 10 minutes
Auto Sync Shed - Enables data and auto sync every 2 hours between 6am and 10pm and disables if screen is not on.
Low Signal: if signal is low, disable Auto Sync Sched

Data App: On Entry (Pandora, TuneIn, etc.) diasable data disable on screen off, On Exit, enables data disable (so music will not be cut by disabling data)

Face Down: activate speakerphone if I put the phone face down during a call.

Upvote 0
multiple condition question.

What i want to do is if I have an Unread text AND I open my keyboard, launch Messaging.

I set up a profile and added Unread Text and Keyboard Open as my condition with my Task to open Messaging...but Unread Text and Keyboard Open act as if they are joined by an OR...not an AND.

Do I need separate nested Profiles for multiple conditions where both need to be true in order for the task to run?

Upvote 0
It's amazing the things that can be done with Tasker sometimes. I had a reason to ignore a caller for a while after getting off the phone with her (ex gf if you must know and I knew I would need it ahead of time). So, I created a profile which is started by a widget. When I press the widget up pops a dialog asking which call to block and I have it list the last caller by default. If I choose this or enter another number it blocks the call until I press the widget again to deactivate the profile.

New Task, Name: Call Block
If %BLOCKED Is Not Set
- Variable Query, Name: %BLOCKED, Label: Block which number?, Type: Phone Number, Default: %CNUM
- Profile Status, Name: Block Call, Set On
- Notify Sound, Title: Call Blocking Active, Text: Blocking calls from %BLOCKED, Icon: (your choice)
- Stop
End If
Variable Clear, Name: %BLOCKED
Profile Status, Name: Block Call, Set Off
Notify Cancel, Title: Call Blocking Active
Flash, Text: Call Blocking is now off!

New Profile, Name: Block Call
Context: State > Incoming Call, Caller: %BLOCKED
Task: End Call

You could also do: Take Call, then End Call so this person doesn't go to voicemail, however this works fine for me.

Be sure to Disable this profile at first by pressing the green check mark so that a red circle slash is present.

Then on your home screen Add a widget that calls your named task Call Block, add an icon, press Make Widget, and presto!

I know that I could use a blacklist app or even set up a blacklist profile in Tasker, but this way, after immediately hanging up the phone I press the widget and within seconds the caller is blocked. The other ways would take up precious time when I know that this person is calling back right away. This will give me the time needed to use the other methods without being interrupted.

As with all things that are Tasker, there is more than one way to accomplish this and remember
- If you think it, it can be done :)

Upvote 0
Last year, I noticed that any time I went to a baseball game, my battery would just plummet and the phone would get hot, which I guess means it was working overdrive to get data or something. Anyone have any suggestions for a profile that would tell my phone to chill out and relax when I'm at the game? My knee jerk reaction would be to incorporate some sort of location based context, but because of other profiles I have set up, my GPS is only turned on when I need it, and I'm not sure network-based location would be precise enough.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones