• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Tasker profiles is everyone using?? (This thread is NOT for requesting help with profiles)

brilliant idea mate. I did try it but does not work.

i set the state as proximity sensor and load an app off it. but nothing happens. if i invert the promity sensor, once i close tasker the app loads - so something needs tweaking. I tried to google some examples but could not find anything, any help on how u set up your profile, cheers.

I just did it for show purpose, here's the profile:
Profile: Test
State: Proximity Sensor
Task: Load App, (App: Calculator)

Screen has to be on and unlocked for it to work.

Upvote 0
Think of the really old phones where the mouthpiece was on the body of the phone and the person had to hold the earpiece (and there was probably a crank):
Telephone hook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure kids these days have no clue that phones use to have hooks, dials, etc since modern phones don't have them but the same terms are still used.
Same with "dialing". Here's one with the hook and a dial.
1919_dial_telephone.jpg

We did not have dial telephone service in Wilson, Wyoming in 1956. Our number was 245J and the operator always answered. It was a party line with distinctive ringing.

Upvote 0
I just did it for show purpose, here's the profile:
Profile: Test
State: Proximity Sensor
Task: Load App, (App: Calculator)

Screen has to be on and unlocked for it to work.

Thanks for that, i actually got it to work before your post anyway. Its a pretty cool party trick.

I use it to load up doodledroid with a pre-saved picture. But i was trying to load a picture from the sd card. When it tries to load the picture it gives an error message about the picture viewer.

Any help on how to load a picture from the sd card as a task, cheers.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have a simple profile that will notify me ever 2 minutes with a notification sound, of missed calls?

Profile: Missed Call Reminder
Context: [state] Missed Call
Enter Task:
Wait 2 minutes
Stop If %PACTIVE Doesn't Match "*missed call reminder*"
Notify Sound "Missed Call Reminder"
Goto 1
Exit Task:
Notify Clear "Missed Call Reminder"

This is about as simple as I can think of for this purpose.

Upvote 0
My favorite two are ones if a) my phone is stolen or b) I lose it somewhere on silent/vibrate mode.

If my phone is stolen:
This profile activates GPS upon receiving a keyword text message, gets the current location with the GPS satellites (in the format 40.123214,-17.243243; to be plugged into google maps for location) and sends these back to the sender. Here is how I set it up:

New Context > Event > Phone > Received Text leave the sender blank (unless you want to specify only numbers that this can work with), make a tagline that isn't usual (so it doesn't trigger for weird people).

These are the tasks for the context:
1) New Task > GPS: Set ON
2) "+" [new task] > Misc > Get Location;
3) (tasks 3-whatever, in my case 8) "+" > Audio > (I turn down all audio so the thief doesn't get notifications, etc.)
9) "+" > Phone > Send SMS: Number = "%SMSRF" ; Message = "I am at GPS coordinates: %LOC" (no quotes in actual boxes)

(optional two tasks)
10) Calendar Insert Description = "%LOC" (again no quotes)
11) + > Display > Lock (this isn't a very good lock application, there are easy ways around it. Instead, you could get App Protector Pro and use + > App > Load App > App Protector Pro and lock everything).
12) Email photos snapped (you can figure this out, I don't find it useful)

If I lose my phone on Silent/Vibrate:
This profile is also triggered with a texted keyword and cranks up the media volume and plays a song from the SD (Only supports a few formats - MP3 for sure, I don't remember the others).

Same Context as above [New Context > Event > Phone > Received SMS: sender = blank, message = something_unique_to_not_be_triggered (mine, for example, is locate_me_please)]

Tasks:
1) + > Audio > Media Volume: 15
2) + > Media > Play Media: Select a Song on your SD

You need an exit event for this task to stop it (or you can enter tasker and disable it). I am on a DROID with the hardware camera button, so you may have to find one for yourself if you're on something else:
Context > Event > Hardware > Button: Camera [select STOP EVENT, high priority]
New Task > Media > Music Stop

I have a few others, but these are the only unique ones I haven't seen many places.

XML Downloads of Tasker Profiles:
Stolen Phone
Locate Me
Locate Me (toggle off)

Reactions: meissen and Tumeg
Upvote 0
@elbandito

I have a similar profile / task to locate phone but can't get it working silently. I use HandCent for SMS and can't get the phone to not display the received message (HandCent) or send the %LOC response without user intervention. In other words, it doesn't work !!

Suggestions anyone ? There is a thread similar to this question on the Tasker forums but as yet, no answers.

Upvote 0
@elbandito

I have a similar profile / task to locate phone but can't get it working silently. I use HandCent for SMS and can't get the phone to not display the received message (HandCent) or send the %LOC response without user intervention. In other words, it doesn't work !!

Suggestions anyone ? There is a thread similar to this question on the Tasker forums but as yet, no answers.

So I can look into it - some info may help, did you get rid of your stock messaging app to save the excess space, or is it still in your /system/app folder? This may help us make a round-about-way...

I will have some time tonight/this week, but my first thought to make it work (although not ideal; but would work if your phone was stolen) would be to rename the Handcent.apk to Handcent.apk.bak (basically disabling it), then doing the process... I will see if I can find something better though.

Edit:
I can make it work the long way [although it will still probably have the handcent pop-up at first] - but you'll need ROOT and to install the Locale Execute plug-in (you don't need the app it links to though). My tests showed this works:

Add these tasks before the rest else (notes at bottom):
+ > Plugin > Execute > edit > "@! su" (no quotes)
+ > Plugin > Execute > edit > "@! mv /data/app/com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk /data/app/com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk.bak"
[this essentially disables handcent, and android messaging will work]

and to re-enable handcent as the last task:
+ > Plugin > Execute > edit > "@! mv /data/app/com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk.bak /data/app/com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk"

This isn't the prettiest option, but it may save your phone if it's stolen!

notes:
-the @! keeps locale execute from popping up for user input, you will have to run this once to grant permanent SU permissions so it will work if your phone actually is stolen
-this causes a "force close" box to pop-up for Handcent, but I still got the GPS coordinates back
-you may consider putting the lock in there for the screen so the pop-up isn't forefront(Display > Lock)

Here is the profile, I left out all the sound settings so you can tailor it to your liking [note: you can do major damage with root privileges (if you're unfamiliar) - make sure you enter things properly!]
*your handcent may save differently on the HTC - check to make sure that's the same install location for the apk for you (so we don't change the settings and all)

Upvote 0
I want to create a profile where my wifi is OFF from 8am to 5pm monday through friday, and on at all other times and all the time on weekends. Forgive me if it's already been posted, I scanned through here but there is a LOT of info here and I did not see what I was looking for...

I've got it setup to be off from 8am to 5 pm, it's the monday through friday/ on all weekend thing that I'm hung up on...

Upvote 0
I want to create a profile where my wifi is OFF from 8am to 5pm monday through friday, and on at all other times and all the time on weekends. Forgive me if it's already been posted, I scanned through here but there is a LOT of info here and I did not see what I was looking for...

I've got it setup to be off from 8am to 5 pm, it's the monday through friday/ on all weekend thing that I'm hung up on...

Hey man, have you tried clicking on the current context you have set-up (the 8pm-5pm set-up) and click "Add" and Change the drop-down menu to "Week Day" and select the days?

I just added the days (M-F) and an exit task to set WiFi: ON when exiting the 8-5 m-f timeframes... Hope that helps!

Here is one I threw together if you just want to import the profile.

Upvote 0

You will need to use 2 profiles, one for the week and one for the weekend.

For during the week, you Add another Context for Day. It shows a month-type calendar, but if you select the Month Day box it changes to Week Day. Just select Mon. thru Fri.

For the weekend Profile, just do the same thing only choosing Sat. and Sun.

Upvote 0
You will need to use 2 profiles, one for the week and one for the weekend.

For during the week, you Add another Context for Day. It shows a month-type calendar, but if you select the Month Day box it changes to Week Day. Just select Mon. thru Fri.

For the weekend Profile, just do the same thing only choosing Sat. and Sun.

No. It's much simpler to do it in one profile.

Context:
* Time 8:00 - 17:00
* Day (select M,T,W,R,F)

Task: Wifi Off
Exit Task: Wifi On

Upvote 0
Seems the best place to ask a Tasker Question.

Before I purchase, I want to check something. I want my WiFi to switch on depending on location. I work various shifts in work, so time isn't the best. I obviously don't want my GPS on all the time though. I know it isn't as accurate, but would the mobile internet work for picking up my location? when I test it on Maps, it does it within a larger radius than Wifi/GPS of course, but would this do the job? Or is there an alternative?

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Before I purchase, I want to check something. I want my WiFi to switch on depending on location. I work various shifts in work, so time isn't the best. I obviously don't want my GPS on all the time though. I know it isn't as accurate, but would the mobile internet work for picking up my location? when I test it on Maps, it does it within a larger radius than Wifi/GPS of course, but would this do the job? Or is there an alternative?

Yes, you can do that.

For the context you would choose Location. Up pops a map that you would select the location of your work. At the bottom are two boxes, Net and GPS. Only check Net. You can also select the type of radius you want to check for, make sure it's big enough for your liking.

For the task simply use Net > WiFi On.

Reactions: barneystuta
Upvote 0

Cheers.

I use Network location daily with a radius of 3km (in conjunction with time and day contexts) to determine when I'm at work. I find it very accurate with Tasker (inaccuracy was why I dumped Locale whilst it was in Beta).

If you can give the profile a broad time constraint (eg Mon - Fri, or 6am to 6pm) that fits with your shift patterns it will keep battery usage down by restricting when the network location checks are run.

I believe you can now use known cell towers to accomplish this as well, but I've not tried this due to a rather temperamental tower near my office.

Upvote 0

Cheers.

You can also "try before you buy", if you go to Tasker's site, you can download the APK and install it (it allows 7 days of unregistered use).

1) Another alternative for you (if you decide the NET method is not accurate enough) would be to periodically turn on GPS to check your location, and auto back off once it determines where you're at.

2) As another said, you can also determine the cell towers near your work and use those to trigger it (sometimes tricky if you get spotty service or are in between a few towers).

3) You can have WiFi randomly turn on to search for networks and connect when you're near them (similar to number 1, but with WiFi).

I'm sure you can find lots of help to make any of these (seems like you have gotten quite a few replies)!

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I have a really simple question...and i'm sure the answer is obvious, but i'm not sure i get it.
What exactly is the difference between Wifi On and Wifi Toggle?
Does toggle mean that Wifi turns on and off alternately? is this to enable it to check that there is a wifi signal around? I thought that the settings in Tasker scans for wifi anyways...why would you set wifi to toggle?

Thanks for your patience in answering newbie questions

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I have a really simple question...and i'm sure the answer is obvious, but i'm not sure i get it.
What exactly is the difference between Wifi On and Wifi Toggle?
Does toggle mean that Wifi turns on and off alternately? is this to enable it to check that there is a wifi signal around? I thought that the settings in Tasker scans for wifi anyways...why would you set wifi to toggle?

Thanks for your patience in answering newbie questions

Toggle = reverse current state

ie if on, switch off.
if off, switch on

Personally I always use the absolute states (On, Off) to avoid confusion

Upvote 0
Hi all,I have a really simple question...and i'm sure the answer is obvious, but i'm not sure i get it.What exactly is the difference between Wifi On and Wifi Toggle?Does toggle mean that Wifi turns on and off alternately? is this to enable it to check that there is a wifi signal around? I thought that the settings in Tasker scans for wifi anyways...why would you set wifi to toggle?Thanks for your patience in answering newbie questions
There is a WiFi near context that will check if WiFi is available and the explanation of on/off/toggle is above

Upvote 0
As another said, you can also determine the cell towers near your work and use those to trigger it (sometimes tricky if you get spotty service or are in between a few towers).
To use Cell Near you really have to spend some time picking up as many towers in a given area as possible. I had to collect 8 towers for the Cell Near context for a profile that is active while I'm at the office and it is very reliable. When I first created this context I was just sitting in my office picking up maybe 2-3 towers and it was very unreliable. Of course, my office is in downtown Houston so tower density may be greater than it is in other locations.

Upvote 0
OK, I can't figure this out.

I have one profile that is simple. It turns off Wifi and 3G when the screen is turned off.

I have another that turn wifi/3G ON when the screen is turned on.

I have a third that turns them off when I start an ebook reader app, and then wife/3G resumes again once I exit that app.

So far, those work great for me, but today I ran into this. I tried using streaming music (ShoutCast through WinAmp). Works great until the screen turns off.

Is there any way to make it NOT turn off Wife/3G when the screen turns off if a specific app is running?

So far the only thing I've done to make it sort of work is a profile with task where when WinAmp is started, the screen is set to ON (on AC or USB), and the brightness is set to 0. Works except then as soon as the app is started the brightness goes down making it hard to read to select streams. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones