1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

what texting app do you use?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by beesknees, Sep 7, 2011.

1. beesknees

beesknees Member

just want to know what everyone is using/has used. likes/dislikes, etc.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mavis Cruet

Mavis Cruet Well-Known Member

Go SMS ..

I've tried most of them and this is by far the best. Loads of customisations, No ads and it's free.

3. rtb35

rtb35 Android Enthusiast

just the stock app,it works and that is all i need for texting.

4. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast

Handcent.

5. Nagrom

Nagrom Android Expert

Go here too. For the same reasons. Tried Chomp, Handcent, and Go. Love Go.

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Android stock

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Handcent. Prefer it to stock & chomp. Would like option to get rid of ads though.

Tried Go some time back and it seemed very much to be a copy - I compared it side by side with handcent, and most options and even the layout of the customisation dialogs were the same, so I ditched it. May have developed since then though, as this was an early release, but that left a bad taste.

8. Foxhunter123

Foxhunter123 Newbie

I also use Handcent - but the only reason for this over the stock program is that I cannot send big pictures in MMS when using the stock sms program...?

It always scale the picture down to a minimum of Kb whereas Handcent uses the 300 Kb limit...???

9. adskankster

adskankster Well-Known Member

I use Go, and I originally switched for the same reason.

I tried Handcent but didn't like the ads - if they'd had a paid for version at the time I'd probably have bought it though, and never tried Go.

10. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast

Ads?? What Ads?

Never noticed them myself, so they must be fairly unobtrusive.

Edit: Nope, just opened it again - no ads.

11. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert

The stock MIUI messaging app.
    Though when not using MIUI, i tend to use GoSMS

12. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert

stock android one for me...with black theme in gv 2.8 :p

I tried handcent, got tired of the ads in the options...tried go, stuck with go for awhile but was just tired with it slowing at times which was annoying..

13. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

They are unobtrusive - they are in the settings menu, but not the thread list or message view. So it is easy to go a long time without seeing them.

14. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert

Ahh, glad you noticed it too. Even in "Lite mode" it still sometimes went very slow. Even with the option to have it run in the background for faster startups turned on.

15. zafonic

zafonic Android Enthusiast

Handcent for me too. Great app with plenty of customisation too!

EDIT:

One thing that is annoying is that for whatever reason Handcent font packs 1 and 3 are missing from the market and have been for sometime now.

16. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

Used to use Handcent but later versions of Go are far superior IMO.

17. zafonic

zafonic Android Enthusiast

In what way exactly?.....I am just curious.

18. deanshep85

it wasn't like all the time, just every so often it would take a second or two to relay what I wanted it to do, to what it *WOULD* do..

19. DNick

DNick Android Enthusiast

I'm exactly the same. I really enjoy the MIUI messaging app. Only complaint is it doesn't show the emoticons. just the symbols.

20. deanshep85

to be fair though, unless whoever your sending the message to can read emoticons as well, its fairly pointless 'you' seeing them as nice fancy graphics if all they see is symbols lol

21. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert

i tend to know what :) :-( :-O mean, oh and..:p

So im happy.

22. DNick

DNick Android Enthusiast

Oh, I know. My girlfriend loves those things, and if she sends me one she wants me to be able to see it. I don't care to much really. Though it be nice.

23. SiHa

SiHa Android Enthusiast

Evidently!

Perhaps I just don't tinker enough. Once I'd got it setup the way I wanted (about 1/2 hr in), I don't think I've ever gone into the settings menu in over a year now.
    I've even just set it up for the missus on her phone and didn't notice the ads.

Perhaps I should go to Specsavers???

24. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member

The interface is slicker and I just find the user experience better with Go. I was a fan of Handcent over the stock app and did use it for over a year but I think Go is the better app now.

25. adskankster

adskankster Well-Known Member

I suppose that was the issue. While I was trying it out, I was tinkering - I always play with a new app to see what it can do, etc. IIRC the ads were delaying so I *think* (it was a while ago now, and I could be getting muddled up with a different app) I ended up pressing the wrong menu item as the menu moved when the ad appeared.

Anyway as I was still in try-out mode at the time, I decided to try Go instead, and I've not yet had a reason to move from that.

Given the choice, I'd always rather pay than have ads - I'm happy for a an ad enabled trial version, but once I've decided to stick with an app, I'd like to be able to pay to get rid of them. That's just a personal foible though. :)