• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What the .. Am I the Only One?

I've been gone for a while and I feel like the dumbest thing on Earth now when I try to read these things.

I tried keeping up to date but I just never had time to go online or go on my phone. I was either making business calls or talking to clients.

So... What have I missed?

I see that there is a 2.2 SBF floating around. I just finished downloading that as well as the RSD LITE 4.8
From what I've learned so far this gives you the new kernel as well as the new bootloader.

IF 2.2SBF/OTA is flashed. What difference will I experience?

What roms are you people using now a days? I've been waiting for CVPCS to do something about Obsidian but it's been way too long. I understand that he's a busy man, but it would've been better off IMO if he kept everything under wraps or at least give an expected date of release.

OC? I just read about the Samsung Vibrant? Reaching 1.3 Ghz or some crazy speed and it made me drool. What is running best for the Dx now and if it's running good on YOUR phone - it doesn't necessarily mean it will on mine, right?

I'm currently running 2.3.13. I've never even upgraded to 2.3.15 out of speculation and laziness.

Am I really the only one in this situation? I feel like I'm the only kid at school with WalMart shoes and everyone's got on Jordans.

Please help me with each topic. I really feel lost now. :thinking:

lol you have missed plenty....yes there is a new sbf and i have used it numerous times and it works great .....some have experienced issues with 2.2 sbf but i have only had a better experience including bettter radio(louder) and some better batt life...thats just my experience though....as far as ROMS i personally love FABS APEX v1.0 its super fast and smooth but other top choices would be FISSION OR RUBIX or the new TRAQ 3.0 ,cant give a full blown experience measure with any of these but apex which im running now and is great and tranq 3.0 which i only had installed for ten minutes lol.Also we now can over/underclock our x.....two apps in the market dx/2 or dx/d2 overclock apps they have presets for voltage and frequency which is fast and easy ...also fabs apex comes pre overclock at 1.1....hope all this helps man!

Reactions: aloha.android
Upvote 0
lol you have missed plenty....yes there is a new sbf and i have used it numerous times and it works great .....some have experienced issues with 2.2 sbf but i have only had a better experience including bettter radio(louder) and some better batt life...thats just my experience though....

Thank you for your quick and and great response gmenfan! I appreciate you.

So with this SBF. I remember having to patch something to RSD Lite 4.7, is this issue still about? Is the process still the same? Camera+VOL UP+Power?

And I've read about Apex. I'm kinda hesitant because it's an 'already overclocked' rom. So the overclock app you suggested - is this compatible with ApeX?

Thanks again Broham.

Upvote 0
The overclock in ApeX is easily turned off with a couple of commands in a terminal window. Personally, my phone ran ok with it but would lock up and reboot every now and then. I turned it off and am now using JRummy's OC app at 1.2Ghz on low voltage. It's 20% faster and still uses less power than stock.

Go ahead and flash the sbf, root it, install Bootstrap, then ApeX. If your phone doesn't like the OC that Fab put in it, download one of the apps and try some other settings.

If you use RSD Lite 4.8 I don't think you have to worry about any patch.

Upvote 0
After I SBF and I end up not liking ApeX for any given reason can I still resort to my 2.3.13 nandroid? Or will it just be best to SBF and nandroid that clean build and flash back to that when it is necessary?

It is better to just start fresh and make a new nandroid and use it for backup

Upvote 0
The overclock in ApeX is easily turned off with a couple of commands in a terminal window. Personally, my phone ran ok with it but would lock up and reboot every now and then. I turned it off and am now using JRummy's OC app at 1.2Ghz on low voltage. It's 20% faster and still uses less power than stock.

Go ahead and flash the sbf, root it, install Bootstrap, then ApeX. If your phone doesn't like the OC that Fab put in it, download one of the apps and try some other settings.

If you use RSD Lite 4.8 I don't think you have to worry about any patch.

I just want to be sure that you are aware of the fact that the low voltage settings are actually higher than stock. They are lower than the medium or high settings but they are still quite a bit higher than the stock voltages. You might want to tinker around with the Custom settings, I'm able to run 1.35GHz with the following clock speeds and voltages:
1.35 - 66
1.00 - 52
.700 - 38
.400 - 30

Here are the Stock Voltages:

Here are the "Low" Voltages for 1.2GHz:

Upvote 0
I just want to be sure that you are aware of the fact that tkhe low voltage settings are actually higher than stock. They are lower than the medium or high settings but they are still quite a bit higher than the stock voltages. You might want to tinker around with the Custom settings, I'm able to run 1.35GHz with the following clock speeds and voltages:
1.35 - 66
1.00 - 52
.700 - 38
.400 - 30

I really wish I could run stable at these settings myself but everytime I go below low voltage in any frequency I am unstable

Upvote 0
I just want to be sure that you are aware of the fact that the low voltage settings are actually higher than stock. They are lower than the medium or high settings but they are still quite a bit higher than the stock voltages. You might want to tinker around with the Custom settings, I'm able to run 1.35GHz with the following clock speeds and voltages:
1.35 - 66
1.00 - 52
.700 - 38
.400 - 30

So how's the battery life while running this? Does overclocking give you that "snappier" feel with games and browsing too?

Upvote 0
So how's the battery life while running this? Does overclocking give you that "snappier" feel with games and browsing too?

My battery life doesn't seem any different than it was, I may be getting slightly less, but I really haven't noticed. Everything about the phone is snappier, I've been playing quite a bit of Reckless Racing and Angry Birds and have yet to experience any lag since OCing.

Upvote 0
I got scared. I remember how scared I was flashing from leaked 2.2 to 2.1 just to get 2.3.13.

I have 4.8RSD and the SBF (Gift2)??

When I put my phone into bootloader mode the first thing that threw me off was the display on the screen of my phone. It was just locked @ the "M".

It wasn't like that the first time I fllashed the SBF before. Is that normal for the 2.2 SBF? And then when I finally plugged my phone in - under device it bootloader and some random numbers, but it couldn't define my IMEI and all the other stuff. Is that normal too?

I really can't afford to brick my phone. I'm extremely paranoid guys! SORRY! Can someone run this down for me real quick? And to reroot is there a 1-click? I remember doing the Droid2 Method and having the hardest time. It said something had too many scripts in it.

Help me :[

Upvote 0
I got enough courage to do it. Im on apex now and my phone has random reboots. I turned off overclock assuming it was the issue. Nothing has happened so far.

About my problem from lastnight, I got into the bootloader the wrong way. I just held the middle of the volume buttons and power. And then I remembered to hold down and the camera too. Everything is all good now.

Thanks for everyones help!! Time to overclock this mafuggin thing!!

Upvote 0
lol you have missed plenty....yes there is a new sbf and i have used it numerous times and it works great .....some have experienced issues with 2.2 sbf but i have only had a better experience including bettter radio(louder) and some better batt life...thats just my experience though....as far as ROMS i personally love FABS APEX v1.0 its super fast and smooth but other top choices would be FISSION OR RUBIX or the new TRAQ 3.0 ,cant give a full blown experience measure with any of these but apex which im running now and is great and tranq 3.0 which i only had installed for ten minutes lol.Also we now can over/underclock our x.....two apps in the market dx/2 or dx/d2 overclock apps they have presets for voltage and frequency which is fast and easy ...also fabs apex comes pre overclock at 1.1....hope all this helps man!

Sounds like the beginning of a sequel lol, seems these events need a dx timeline lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones