1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support What the hell happened to my contacts???!!?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chenry888, Jul 19, 2010.

1. chenry888

chenry888 Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    This makes no sense. When I first got my X at Best Buy, they loaded all my contacts from my old phone to my X. Now, after using it for several days, all of those phone numbers are GONE. Don't know what I did - I didnt do anything crazy- they are just GONE. Sure it loaded all of my facebook/twitter/gchat friends, but now my PHONE numbers are gone.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? Whatever it is, it's absolutely unacceptable! :mad:

and NO my contacts are NOT backed up anywhere. I came from a dumbphone (but god damn right now it seems like the smartphone is dumber!) Please help! Thanks in advance!

EDIT After quite of bit of reviewing my contacts, it turns out some of my contacts retained its phone number but now is synced with their facebook/twitter/gchat profiles. But still most of my contacts are gone completely from the phone OR they are missing the phone numbers but I have their facebook profile

Advertisement

2. svensett

svensett Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Illinois
    Go into your contacts, hit the menu button, hit groups, and choose either all contacts or phone contacts. See if that helps.

3. chenry888

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks I tried this and under phone contacts, nearly every contact is gone except for maybe 2 (I used to have over 150). I tried displaying ALL contacts, its the same list I had before minus my old phone contacts.

My contacts REALLY ARE GONE. I have friends calling me and the phone has no idea who it is and only shows the phone number - not the name assigned to it.

I can't believe a phone could possibly lose this!!

4. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Near PDx
    Try taking off the facebook account and see if that helps. Also you can scroll left and right on the contacts page have you tried that?

Jayme

Also might I suggest once you DO get your contacts back, use backup assistant. Its free if you have VZW online account. :) :)

5. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    engineer
    The South

They might be in a category that's not viable in the cloud. Not the first time we have heard about this transfer and errors. What network was your old phone on? Were contacts on a sim if it was a gsm type network?

6. chenry888

Jul 1, 2010
    Tried both of these, doesn't get my contacts back. Oh yes I definitely am using the backup assistant now... but COULD HAVE SWORN i enabled this backup to run every night right when i got the phone!

Nothing much shows in Gmail's contacts. My old phone was on Verizon - no SIM card. I've had 4-5 phones on verizon - each time, transfers went smoothly until the X, my 1st smartphone :(

7. copr165

copr165 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
  8. mIQ Live

mIQ Live Well-Known Member

Did the Best Buy store not recommend a backup system?

Best Buy's free MIQ Live, is the easiest way to always have everything synced and backed up to a private online account. All you have to do is go to the market and download it. That way even if you lose your phone you can just download the app on the new phone, log in, and you have everything back....

I you happen to still have the old phone you should be able to get the contacts off there.

Hope that helps. Sorry to hear about the missing data!