• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What the Outlook sync options for HTC evo BESIDES google?

Hmm I am glad I do not have this issue. (Heh I am the head of our IT dept :) )...But if you have a Exchange server, then it is a simple matter of setting up the mobile ata with security and using it to push mail to your phone via the EAS service. If you have a acct on the server, it makes no sense not to be able to have the mobile access as well....it really makes no difference who the device belongs to. Set the correct security procedures and its a done deal.

But meh, I guess some companies want to think that not having a Mobile service on their Exchange server makes it secure..which is kinda of funny really.

Upvote 0
Will applications that work with Android work with the Evo? Isn't it running some sort of mongoloid, bastard hybrid of Sense and Android? :)

Yes, applications that work with Android the OS work with EVO.

The EVO is running the Android OS.

HTC has just incorporated their "sense user interface" which adds some extra widgets and apps.

The "mongoloid" part will come into play when Android 2.2 is released. You will want to download the 2.2 release from HTC as opposed to Google or you will lose all of your HTC native apps and widgets.

Upvote 0
Anyone know of a way to get HTC Sync to install on WinXP64?

I am spending HOURS fighting the various contact synching attempts every day between Companionlink, DejaOffice, and Gmail.

If I could just get Gmail to stop syncing I could at least reclaim some of that time.

Very unhappy.

I too would like to be able to directly sync between Outlook & EVO... no Google, no Gmail, etc. Something clean that I don't have to fight.

Upvote 0
Anyone know of a way to get HTC Sync to install on WinXP64?

I am spending HOURS fighting the various contact synching attempts every day between Companionlink, DejaOffice, and Gmail.

If I could just get Gmail to stop syncing I could at least reclaim some of that time.

Very unhappy.

I too would like to be able to directly sync between Outlook & EVO... no Google, no Gmail, etc. Something clean that I don't have to fight.

Go to Home ->Menu -> Settings -> Accounts and Sync, and select your gmail account. Uncheck the options you don't want to automatically sync. I kept getting duplicates and a bunch of extra crap from my google contacts that I didn't want to be involved with the contacts in my phone. This helped.

I've since just removed most of my contacts from google, and just let my phone and Outlook have that info.

Personally I'm not at all in terested in spending 40 bucks to install a 3rd party app that I can't test. The post above that CompanionLink's DejaOffice allows for sync, is only if you install the desktop side as well. That is either 14 day trial, or 40 bucks.
The calendar part of O2g sounds very similar to the software already provided by Google themselves: Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Still trying to figure out how to sync Outlook 2010 (64 bit) with the EVO.... But I'm sure there will be a new version of HTC Sync that'll support it. There was one released on the 16th, [(2.0.40) | 06.16.2010] but it still doesn't support 64bit Office Outlook apparently. The hunt is on...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help Levi, but for some reasons my sync choices are different. In Manage Accounts, I have Google listed (and within it: Calendar, Contacts, & Gmail), News, Stocks, Weather, and now Missing Sync. But within the Google account, I cannot select or deselect Calendar, Contacts, or Gmail. I can choose to delete the whole Google account so it won't sync, but that's about it. And if I delete the account, AppBrain won't sync either.

I ended up buying Missing Sync. It's giving me communication errors for just one sync process that I have yet to figure out: Calender Events. But other than that, it seems to be working well and once folded into my workflow, it should be worth the $$$.

I'm looking forward to new versions of HTC Sync as well as Froyo.

Upvote 0
I guess im failing to see the point of these cost based solutions. I use google calendar sync for free. What im a i missing?

Google Calendar Sync - Calendar only, no support for multiple Outlook calendars.

CompanionLink - Contacts, Calendar and Tasks, supports multiple Outlook folders, supports categories, date range options, free telephone support.

How about support for Lotus Organizer 6.0??

Sorry, just Lotus Notes :(

Upvote 0
I need to leave GMail out of the picture. This has to sync straight from the phone to Outlook. No cloud or internet involved. Just a USB cord. Is that possible?

I just read something on HTCs terribly designed website about "HTC Sync" which promises to sync Contacts and Calendar only. I could live with that, but I can't find the application.

You can sync directly using the HTC app. The HTC app is on your SD card. Follow the manual to install. It's worked for me and I don't have any of the issues others have complained about.

I only want direct sync so the HTC app worked just perfectly for me.

Upvote 0
When you connect your EVO to your computer, it should ask you an option about how to use the USB type. The first time you attach it, you should choose disc drive and then go to "My computer" if you're using PC. Find the removeable storage on your computer and then you will find a file called "HTCSync" and that contains an "exe" file. You install HTCSync on your computer. Then attach your EVO again, then you choose "HTC Sync". It should then sync your calendar and contacts. The problem I'm finding is that sometimes it doesn't work. I'm trying to figure all that out. I don't know if some of it is the Market software downloaded. It's frustrating because I've had to do a hard reset on my phone 2 times since June 4th in order to get it to sync again. Ready to do it again!!!

Upvote 0
I have always been a Palm Pilot and then Blackberry User. My contacts and calendars have always been synced through MS Outlook.

The HTC Hero is a disaster of a phone. I have 2600 Contacts used for mailing lists. A lot of those contacts have detailed notes stored with each name or company. The Hero and the EVO will only search by first and last name. They will not search by Company, Job Title or Category.

I purchased companion link software and downloaded the EVO App from the store. It has synced with my EVO and everything looks very similiar to my Blackberry Bold contacts. I can now search for an individual or if I want to search for all of the Pilots that are in my Contacts it will. If I want to just search for employees who work for one company ie Delta, no problem.

You can still use the crappy Android contacts or calendar or just go to your new Companion Link icon and you will see Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes etc that have been imported properly from Outlook and will sync back to your PC.

I don't know why Google felt it was necessary to reinvent the Wheel by making Google contacts and Android so far off the beaten track, when Blackberry, Palm and Outlook have a very good standard. Google should
have been able to implement their ideas without serving up a lousy phone system that's better suited for teenage girls and social website buffs.

I think Companion Link will probably just be implemented as standard Android software with full Gmail/Outlook compatability.

I have not trusted Gmail to sync with my data because the HERO did such a good job of leaving out tons of data of carefully managed Contacts.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I'm all for good software and for paying developers for their work, but $40 for software which should be a default program is crazy... I have about 25 days left to decide on keeping the EVO and I am really torn... The EVO is super sweet and it is blazing fast. However, $10 extra a month for 4G service that is rarely available AND an OS that does not have basic business functions, e.g. synchronization with MS Outlook may just be too much for me to overlook. No way I am paying $40 for a synch program. Someone from Companionlink decides to offer a 50% discount and we might have something. Yet, there still is no excuse for Google being total buffoons. The Blackberry synch software is seamless with Outlook and with all that brain power and money at the Google shop it is just beyond STUPID that this issue even exists.

Upvote 0
I'm all for good software and for paying developers for their work, but $40 for software which should be a default program is crazy... I have about 25 days left to decide on keeping the EVO and I am really torn... The EVO is super sweet and it is blazing fast. However, $10 extra a month for 4G service that is rarely available AND an OS that does not have basic business functions, e.g. synchronization with MS Outlook may just be too much for me to overlook. No way I am paying $40 for a synch program. Someone from Companionlink decides to offer a 50% discount and we might have something. Yet, there still is no excuse for Google being total buffoons. The Blackberry synch software is seamless with Outlook and with all that brain power and money at the Google shop it is just beyond STUPID that this issue even exists.

I am able to sync my Evo data pretty well with Outlook 2010 without using any paid software. The HTC Sync software included with the Evo 4G syncs Outlook's contacts & calendar directly through the USB cable with the People and Calendar apps on the Evo. I also use a front end for the celendar called Calendar Pad which give s great monthly and weekly text view. I am able to manually sync my tasks in a free Android app called Astrid Tasks on my Evo with a free web service at RememberTheMilk.com which has a plugin for Outlook which can auto-sync your data to your desktop or laptop Outlook task list and vice versa. Works pretty well for me and I don't have to sync with the Google cloud either. I don't know anyone that uses Outlook notes, but I haven't found a solution for those. I just keep my notes with my tasks and I have a pretty good sync each way.

Of course I can get my email on Android through K-9 mail with POP or IMAP. If I read my mail on Android I usually leave it on the server and download and archive on my laptop. If I ever decide I want to use more of Google services and sync with the Google cloud, that only takes a single screen press and I will have three way sync, including my laptop, Google and my Evo.Also if I ever migrate to a new device or new platform someday like Windows Mobile or whatever comes along I will already have contacts, calendar, email, tasks, and their archives in Outlook ready for sync to a new smartphone.

Upvote 0
Bottom line is the EVO is going back. And I won't be looking at
Android anytime soon. Like it or not, Microsoft is the standard when it comes to the business world and for Google to knowingly omit the ability to synch with MS Outlook is beyond stupid. I am going to wait on the new Windows Phone or just stick with Blackberry.

Upvote 0
Bottom line is the EVO is going back. And I won't be looking at
Android anytime soon. Like it or not, Microsoft is the standard when it comes to the business world and for Google to knowingly omit the ability to synch with MS Outlook is beyond stupid. I am going to wait on the new Windows Phone or just stick with Blackberry.

Hmm what changed? As of your last post it seemed you had gotten Syncing working the way you liked using HTC Sync and a few other free solutions?

Upvote 0
wtf are u guys talking about i have live sync setup though the default mail client? i have contacts calander notes meetings and everything else set to autosync from our 2007 server... just use your eas if you have 07 or newer you have it. tell your it department to use remote wipe if the device isnt theres and you leave it will wipe all outlook data from your phone there isnt anything to worry about. some it departments really need to learn to use all there software before they put stupid policys in place

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

CompanionLink's been hard at work getting ready for the EVO 4G. We recently pushed out a big update to DejaOffice, our super-charged suite of calendar, contacts, tasks and notes apps for Android. DejaOffice takes advantage of the huge screen on the EVO 4G to give you an address book with color-coded categories, variable font size, company name display, and advanced search and sort options. Calendar also has color-coded category support, with day, week, month, and list view modes (full year view coming soon). Tasks and Notes are there as well.

android-contacts-delightful.png
android-cal-day.png

DejaOffice is available on the Android Market at no cost. You can use DejaOffice standalone, or in conjunction with CompanionLink to sync contacts, calendar, tasks and notes between the HTC EVO 4G and Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT!, Palm Desktop and more. Try CompanionLink free for 14-days.

CompanionLink also has a new product called O2g. It's a simple, straightforward app that syncs contacts, calendar and tasks from Outlook to Google. Once in Google's hands, it will automatically sync with the EVO 4G. O2g is compatible with most versions of Outlook, including the new Outlook 2010 64-bit. O2g is available for $9.99 at www.o2gsync.com

Be careful if you go this route. Check their forums. There's a few folks who say they lose their contacts on sync. I know I had a problem with DejaOffice which purports to be free but is in reality trialware. Also, DejaOffice doesn't do anything on its own without also CompanionLink which is also not free.

Upvote 0
Hmm what changed? As of your last post it seemed you had gotten Syncing working the way you liked using HTC Sync and a few other free solutions?

You didn't get that from my post...there was a suggestion from someone else about various options, but it's just all too much for me. I use "Tasks" extensively and I am not paying $40 for a sync program from a third party. Aside from the sync issue, battery life is now causing me issues. I can sit and watch my battery meter go down by the minute. You have to turn everything off to get the EVO to stay up all day. I don't want to spend my life having to 'manage' my phone. The idea with a smart phone is that it help me 'manage' my life, not the other way around.

Upvote 0
You didn't get that from my post...there was a suggestion from someone else about various options, but it's just all to much for me. I use "Tasks" extensively and I am not paying $40 for a sync program from a third party. Aside from the sync issue, battery life is now causing me issues. I can sit and watch my battery meter go down by the minute. You have to turn everything off to get the EVO to stay up all day. I don't want to spend my life having to 'manage' my phone. The idea with a smart phone is that it help me 'manage' my life, not the other way around.

Oops Sorry Jimi, I got you confused with Jim. SOrry about your issues.. I am sure you have but have you gone to the battery threads. I get 16 Hours out of a pretty busy work day and well over 24 on a relaxing weekend (this of course is light usage). Anyway Godspeed

Upvote 0
wtf are u guys talking about i have live sync setup though the default mail client? i have contacts calander notes meetings and everything else set to autosync from our 2007 server... just use your eas if you have 07 or newer you have it. tell your it department to use remote wipe if the device isnt theres and you leave it will wipe all outlook data from your phone there isnt anything to worry about. some it departments really need to learn to use all there software before they put stupid policys in place

I work for a major corporation (50,000+ employees) and they don't just let every employee have a Blackberry or smart phone on the server. Only upper level managers have that access and they are ALL Blackberrys by the way, no other smart phones. I have to have USB/Bluetooth direct synch. I don't need the mail, just the calendar, tasks, memos and contacts. But again, I'm not paying a third party $40 for something as basic as sync to Outlook. Google is dumbest smart people I know...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones