• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What the Outlook sync options for HTC evo BESIDES google?

Well, today I joined the GoogleBorg. After trying 5 different syncing apps and paying for a few - the last one being Missing Sync, that worked for a while but has now stopped communicating - I'm now a member of The Collective.

I found an app ($$$) that syncs contact photos (one of my personal requirements) and is very flexible with its settings. Since setting it up, I have been able to get just the right type of data up to GMail's Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, & Notes and then back down to my phone. gSyncit is the name of the app & it's available for $15.

I still need to tweak the timing of this three-way syncfest and make sure everything on the "GMail Cloud" is private, but once those things are done, I might be able to live with it.

Upvote 0
Well, today I joined the GoogleBorg. After trying 5 different syncing apps and paying for a few - the last one being Missing Sync, that worked for a while but has now stopped communicating - I'm now a member of The Collective.

I found an app ($$$) that syncs contact photos (one of my personal requirements) and is very flexible with its settings. Since setting it up, I have been able to get just the right type of data up to GMail's Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, & Notes and then back down to my phone. gSyncit is the name of the app & it's available for $15.

I still need to tweak the timing of this three-way syncfest and make sure everything on the "GMail Cloud" is private, but once those things are done, I might be able to live with it.

Privacy and security has been one of my concerns since I got an Evo as my first smartphone. Just because I have own an Android phone doesn't mean that I automatically want to upload all my personal and business data to a Google server somewhere not under my control. Who knows what data breaches may occur or privacy violations. I rather have a direct sync through USB from my laptop to my smartphone. Of course if I ever change my mind and decide that's hardly a real concern, I can always press a button and have three-way sync as well.

So far Evo 4G <-> HTC Sync <-> Outlook 2010 has been working for me for contacts & calendar. And Astrid <-> RememberTheMilk <-> Outlook 2010 for tasks, and no Google involved in either. So far I haven't run into any serious limitations, but I haven't used all the features like multiple or shared calendars, recurring appointments or contact photos, so maybe I may run into more limitations later.

Upvote 0
$40 for a sync program? Dude...that is insane. It is unthinkable that HTC did not create a sync program that would fully support Outlook. I'm moving from Blackberry to Android and this is a major flaw not having tasks and memos...but I'm sure as hell not going to pay $40 for a sync program.

Yes, and at $40 you would expect that it works REALLY well.

But it doesn't.

Unfortunately, there's really no other option if you really need *local* sync with Outlook.

Otherwise, just grab Google Calendar Sync and go with it. No contact sync through.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have been reading all this with interest however it doesnt solve my problem. I have a HTC wildfire which i have synced to my laptop using HTC sync. It worked well the first time and my appointments did sync to my phone. however - now when I run the sync none of the new items from outlook come over to the phone ie it does not update with new caalender entries -- why is this???

Upvote 0
Hi

I have been reading all this with interest however it doesnt solve my problem. I have a HTC wildfire which i have synced to my laptop using HTC sync. It worked well the first time and my appointments did sync to my phone. however - now when I run the sync none of the new items from outlook come over to the phone ie it does not update with new caalender entries -- why is this???

I have a Desire HD and the wife has a Wildfire S. I sync both to my PC/Outlook with MyPhoneExplorer over wifi. Works much better than HTC Sync.

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones