• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What to do before OTA? Have never rooted the phone in any way. [NOOB]

dc006

Apr 2, 2010
Ok, so, forgive me, but I am trying to decipher this and I am not exactly sure what the straight answer is. I have looked through many threads, but I havn't been able to cobble it together. I am willing to accept the fact that I just might be a moron when it comes to this process.

I got my Incredible two days before it was released (pre-ordered) and have not rooted or done anything to it other than accept that one OTA a long time ago that fixed the Exchange Bug.

Can someone dumb this down for me? What are the exact steps that I should take to reach my goal:

My goal. Not have to reload my phone (aka not lose my settings and etc), get rooted so I can wifi tether, accept the 2.2 OTA, and then still be able to wifi tether after with root access. I'd like to have the option to install ROM's and etc in the future if I decide to proceed further.

Right now, i'm not ready for the full world of ROM's and etc. I just want to do what I laid out above.

Your help would be greatly accepted and you can also make fun of me if you want. LOL. I just want to achieve my goal.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones