1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

What to do while waiting...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BigRedNole, Aug 31, 2009.

1. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    OK, like many people out there/here, I am waiting for Android to come to Verizon. To be honest, I am not too familiar with Android other than the little bits I have read on several sites including here. Since I do not have a device, it is almost foreign to me.

1. I know it has a bunch of apps similar to the iPhone
    2. I know it is Google's Linux-type mobile OS
    3. Previously, my cell phone was for making and receiving calls when not at home. This is supposed to get me into the 21st century. I am not a techno-geek (sorry, lack of a better term for you geniuses out there) but I keep up with technology and do know quite a bit. I can stumble my way through Linux on the computer.

Now that I am waiting for a Verizon Android phone, what should I be doing to get educated?

1. The wiki states that apps can't be installed on the SD card. That's not good
    2. Some other guides talk about rooting, un-rooting, etc. What or where can you learn about that type of "stuff"?

In general, what can I do or where can I go to be ready when I purchase the Verizon Android?

Advertisement

2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Android Scientists
    The Lab
    I suggest hanging out here in the forums...clicking on current topics, and reading older topics. You can learn a lot, ask questions like you did and meet some long time android folks.

Rooting will allow you to install apps to the SD card. I am sure someone will be along shortly to point you to the best root guide. I haven't done it.