• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What to do with the internal 6.6gb storage?

Bulldog

Mar 21, 2010
Most apps cannot see this, and I doubt they ever will unless this becomes more commonplace. What do you do with your internal storage? I have my camera set to store there, but i have a slideshow app i use when charging and it only reads the SD card so I move the "keepers" to SD. My mp3's and divx movies are also on SD. So out of 6.6gb internal storage I usually have about 6.5gb free. :)

How do you use yours? And do you feel app developers will ever write apps to access the internal storage?

I use BeyondPod as by podcast manager. It stores all my podcast (audio/Video) on the internal storage.

Similarly I put my DoggCatcher podcasts onto the internal Memory. My assumption is it's easier on the battery than accessing an external card. I Listen to podcasts enough that I figured it would be with some battery savings if it exists :)

Upvote 0
if I were to move my music there, say 4 Gb, would that slow down the phone's performance? (I would like to free up space on my SD card)
no, it wont. to my knowledge, the system isn't even installed to that storage space. it has it's own limited storage space like other android phones "without internal storage".

even if they did share the same storage space, with flash memory on android, you wouldn't notice the same type of performance difference you would as if you were running windows on a hdd.

Upvote 0
i'm like Argent. I don't use it either, and rarely store any media on my phone except for the pictures I've taken.

All my computing machines always run fast cause I never use the the storage to it's full capabilities.

Since I am a fellow Rochesterian I would like to clear this up by telling you that the amount of storage ( hard disk drive or flash ) you use on any computing device will have no effect on the machine's speed unless you are using extremely close to 100% on windows XP or older machine. The only reason you will notice a slight performance dropoff when approaching 100% is because with windows XP and previous versions computers are set up to use a small part of the hard drive as a virtual memory page file.

So go out there and feel free to store all you want!

Upvote 0
Since I am a fellow Rochesterian I would like to clear this up by telling you that the amount of storage ( hard disk drive or flash ) you use on any computing device will have no effect on the machine's speed unless you are using extremely close to 100% on windows XP or older machine. The only reason you will notice a slight performance dropoff when approaching 100% is because with windows XP and previous versions computers are set up to use a small part of the hard drive as a virtual memory page file.

So go out there and feel free to store all you want!
As someone who has worked in the storage industry for the past 10 years I will have to disagree with you 100%. The more of a disks capacity you use, the lower the performance. That's why the industry average for utilization is in the 30-40% range.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones