1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What to do...?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Philadelph, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Philadelph

Philadelph Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Alright, so my EVO has been great so far, but my g/f's has been a huge pain. Here's the latest- her front facing camera won't work. Started happening after I rooted it for her (unrevoked, stock rom, sbc kernal, Amon RA). Basically it won't switch to the front camera, ever. Tried battery pull, nandroid backup (which didn't work... had an error??), then factory reset. Now the screen looks messed up whenever I reboot the phone- lines up and down the screen. We are within 30 days so I'm sure we COULD get it replaced... BUT I deleted some bloatware. Sprint Nascar, etc. sooooo- am I screwed here or what? Good reason to buy Titanium and just freeze that stuff... learning the hard way. Maybe there is a ROM which includes that stuff that I can flash? Basically I want to unroot and return the phone...

Advertisement

2. Philadelph

Philadelph Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Checking out the recovery log (to see about the failed nandroid backup) it said "can't open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory". Then a bunch of code stuff I don't understand. Is that bad?

3. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    First off I would like to welcome you to the forums. Now from the sound of it her phone doesn't like the kernel. Not all kernels work on all phones I would suggest trying the netarchy kernel in my signature and if it is still having problems try the same exact kernel but with less HAVS. When it comes to kernels it is trial and error some may cause problems like you are having now.

Now I don't know about the backup problem for that I would suggest trying to reflash recovery or try a different recovery such as clockwork.

Also if none of this works I can give you a link to a completely stock ROM with nothing deleted.

Philadelph likes this.
  4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    1) There are a few things that can cause your camera/ROM issues. I would start with what Urge suggested, and try a different kernel. Did your problems start before or after you flashed whatever kernel you flashed? What kernel was it, anyway? Also, a factory reset does not touch your ROM or kernel, so if it is a kernel issue, that's why it didn't stop.

2) Can you post your recovery log here? Just attach it, or post more lines than just that one (but hide it if it's too long)? Did you rename any backups or anything like that?

3) It's pretty easy to unroot a phone if you need to return it (I don't think you do, though). It involves flashing a file that will restore your phone to the exact way it was when you bought it, bloatware and all.

One last question - if you turn your phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding volume down to get to hboot, you will see your hboot version. What is it?

Philadelph likes this.
  5. Philadelph

Philadelph Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Hboot: 2.10.0001

Kernal: 2.6.32.27-SBC-net-4.2.2-more-havs
    root@paris-laptop #18

1) Maybe I should try the less-havs version first? Problems started AFTER I flashed that kernal- should have occurred to me to just try changing that first. (related question- will flashing nandroids change the kernal to whatever the kernal was when the nandroid was created?) I like the SBC kernal on my phone because of the great battery life. I'm actually getting the urge to try some AOSP roms on my phone too... but back to hers-

2) Here's the recovery.log text:

Starting recovery on Mon Feb 28 16:17:57 2011
    can't open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory
    framebuffer: fd 3 (480 x 800)
    Build : RA-supersonic-v2.3
    Fixing execute permissions for /cache
    I:Set boot command "boot-recovery"
    Command: "/sbin/recovery"

ro.secure=0
    ro.allow.mock.location=0
    ro.debuggable=1
    persist.service.adb.enable=1
    ro.config.ringtone=Windchimer.mp3
    ro.config.notification_sound=Little.mp3
    ro.build.id=ERE27
    ro.build.display.id=1.32.651.1
    ro.build.version.incremental=171253
    ro.build.version.sdk=7
    ro.build.version.codename=REL
    ro.build.version.release=2.1-update1
    ro.build.date=Wed Apr 28 21:39:52 CST 2010
    ro.build.date.utc=1272461992
    ro.build.type=userdebug
    ro.build.user=lala-01
    ro.build.host=lala-01-desktop
    ro.build.tags=test-keys
    ro.product.model=PC36100
    ro.product.brand=sprint
    ro.product.name=htc_supersonic
    ro.product.device=supersonic
    ro.product.board=supersonic
    ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
    ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
    ro.product.manufacturer=HTC
    ro.product.locale.language=hdpi
    ro.product.locale.region=
    ro.wifi.channels=
    ro.board.platform=qsd8k
    ro.build.product=supersonic
    ro.build.description=1.32.651.1 CL171253 test-keys
    ro.build.changelist=171253
    ro.product.ua=
    ro.build.fingerprint=sprint/htc_supersonic/supersonic/supersonic:2.1-update1/ERE27/171253:userdebug/test-keys
    ro.product.version=1.32.651.1
    keyguard.no_require_sim=1
    rild.libpath=/system/lib/libhtc_ril.so
    ro.ril.def.preferred.network=4
    ro.telephony.default_network=4
    wifi.interface=eth0
    wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
    ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
    ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
    ro.sf.lcd_density=240
    ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-sprint-us
    persist.service.mount.playsnd=0
    ro.ril.def.agps.mode=2
    settings.display.autobacklight=1
    settings.display.brightness=143
    dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m
    ro.media.enc.file.format=3gp,mp4
    ro.media.enc.vid.codec=m4v,h263
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.width=176,1280
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.height=144,720
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.bps=64000,6000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.h263.fps=1,30
    ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.width=176,1280
    ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.height=144,720
    ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.bps=64000,6000000
    ro.media.enc.vid.m4v.fps=1,30
    ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=20000000
    ro.bt.chipset=Broadcom BCM4329-B1
    ro.bt.version=Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    ro.bt.stack=Broadcom BTL-A
    ro.bt.stack.version=2.0.47.005
    ro.bt.profiles=4270339
    ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310120
    ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Sprint
    gsm.sim.operator.numeric=0
    gsm.sim.operator.alpha=0
    gsm.sim.operator.iso-country=0
    ro.config.alarm_alert=Light.mp3
    ro.config.cal_notification=Vector.mp3
    ro.config.msg_notification=Ascend.mp3
    ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
    ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.1_r3
    media.a1026.nsForVoiceRec=0
    htc.audio.alt.enable=1
    htc.audio.hac.enable=1
    net.bt.name=Android
    net.change=net.bt.name
    ro.config.sync=yes
    dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
    ro.modversion=RA-supersonic-v2.3
    ro.factorytest=0
    ro.serialno=HT11SHL12921
    ro.bootmode=recovery
    ro.baseband=2.15.00.11.19
    ro.carrier=COMMON
    ro.bootloader=2.10.0001
    ro.hardware=supersonic
    ro.revision=3
    ro.cid=SPCS_001
    init.svc.recovery=running
    init.svc.adbd=running

I:Set boot command ""
    I:Set boot command ""

Move recovery.log to SD
    Press Power to confirm,
    any other key to abort.

Moving : .

I DID rename the nandroid folder that I tried to reload (folder inside the device name in nandroid)... thought that was ok?

3) I've read the unrooting process, just not in full detail yet. Didn't realize you could flash a ROM back to stock- is that pretty much what section 6 (updating to latest OTA)-after rooting, is in the rooting for dummies guide? I assume Deodexed is best for going back to stock? Do you have a choice between odex/deodex with those ROMS?

Thanks guys- you are a huge help to guys just getting into this like me. I like problem solving this stuff as long as I can get some guidance in terms of the stuff I don't yet know.

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    1) Okay. I recommend two things for the kernel:

a) Update to the latest stable version, which is 4.3.1 (or the beta, which is 4.3.2).
    b) Try the less HAVS version, which should fix the screen tearing.

You can get the kernel of your choices (including the sbc version) here:

http://www.qap.la/~netarchy/

My guess is that will fix both issues.

2) What did you rename the nandroid to? Likely, that's your problem depending on how you renamed it. Do you have any other backups you can test?

3) Well, there's a difference between flashing a stock ROM and fully unrooting. Flashing a stock ROM is meant for those who just want to keep root, but want a ROM as close to stock as possible. Likely, the ROM will still have root permissions, and have some of the basics such as busybox. Also, you noticed the odexed and deodexed versions. Here's the difference:

a) Deodexed ROMs allow you to make changes to certain apks. The purpose is generally to theme. There are exceptions to this, most certainly, but if you want to flash any mod out there, you'll likely need a deodexed ROM. A *normal* stock ROM is not deodexed. Most custom ones are, and a few of the "stock" ones are provided in both formats.
    b) If you intend to do no theming at all, and don't want to flash any mods that require a deodexed ROM, flash the odexed one. Why? Because it's faster.

This is not the same thing as unrooting. Unrooting will change S-OFF to S-ON (relock nand), replace your custom recovery with the stock one, change radio versions to match your hboot version if you ever updated them, and replace whatever ROM you may have with a completely stock one (all stock apps, i.e. bloatware, reinstalled, all personal data and apps uninstalled, all settings default, etc.).

Tempusfugit and Philadelph like this.
  7. Philadelph

Philadelph Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Great! Couple more things-

1) Should I try the updated version LESS havs first or can I try the more havs and see what happens? Is there a downside to trying the latest beta- ie 4.3.2? Should I go with the BFS version? Also, I couldn't find anything in Lingo, etc. about what noUV, and suv are (guessing they wont apply if I use havs though)? Didn't worry about it before since I was on 4.2.2 I guess.

2) Renamed the nandroid to something like "first" as in first nandroid after root. That might be the problem... although I don't know what I would name it back to, and the only unnamed nandroid is from after the camera issue. Also, I think I asked before- but will restoring a previous nandroid change the kernal to whatever was loaded at the time of the backup?

3) I get the difference between a stock ROM and unrooting, but was a little confused about the odex stuff. I basically wanted to know which way to go if I ever had to go the route of replacing a phone. Also, I'm assuming you'd flash the stock ROM before flashing the stock recovery image? The ROM should already have the stock kernal, so you wouldn't need to do anything there, correct?

Thanks again for your time!

8. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    1) Well, netarchy made some changes to HAVS between 4.2.2 and 4.3 and up, so it's worth a try. You can try 4.3.2 rather than 4.3.1 if you want. There aren't many changes between the two. I've been using 4.3.2 for some time now, and it's working just fine. As for your other questions, this guide should answer most of them:

[GUIDE]

Philadelph likes this.
  9. Philadelph

Philadelph Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Ahhh, makes total sense now- you clarified a lot for me there!

1) I actually had that link saved, should have checked it first- sorry. Just tough keeping track of all abbreviations sometimes! Anyway, I'll try a couple and see what happens.

2) Strange- I tried restoring the last nandroid which worked perfectly, then went back and tried restoring the original nandroid that gave me a problem... and that worked perfectly too... now I'm just going back to the nandroid I want for now, which also worked fine. I had checked the names and they were good too, so I have no clue what happened there.

3) Alright, now I get it. I know of PC36IMG.zip from flashing Amon RA's recovery, but didn't realize that the file to flash when following the unroot procedure did EVERYTHING for you! Either I missed it while reading or it just wasn't that clear to me! Makes complete sense now though. I did use unrevoked so I would need the S-ON tool, but again, for now I'm not going that route.

10. Philadelph

Philadelph Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Alright, so so far the new kernal is working and got rid of the camera and screen issues. Really surprised me- I didn't realize that a kernal could make that much difference between updates/versions, etc. Thanks so much for the help on that. I'm sure I'll have more issues down the line too when I start messing around with different ROMs lol.

11. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Right, the kernel is basically the behind the scenes of an operating system. If there is a problem with it, you'll have all kind of problems. I'm glad that worked for you.

Just a quick clarification on the PC36IMG.zip issue - these files are used for flashing img files to internal partitions. A PC36IMG.zip file can contain img files to flash to all partitions (the contents of a RUU used to unroot) or just certain partitions, such as recovery, for example. They can be used for various things. The reason they aren't used for ROMs usually (they could be, if you flashed boot and system), is because they require that you flash an entire image file for a partition at the very least. They can't be used to copy only what you want from a particular partition.

Philadelph likes this.
Tags: