• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What to expect from new phone....

cableguynoe

Android Expert
Mar 30, 2010
Monterey, CA
Hey guys,
I just ordered my HTC Eris online. Haven't received it yet, so obviously I'm new to this forum.

There is a TON of information here that i am trying to absorb... so that I'm ready for my new phone. But it's also driving me crazy that i dont have it yet LOL

The question i have for you guys is this...
I keep reading threads about the 2.1 update...
Is a brand new phone the best time to do the leaked update? I read in the instruction about saving pictures and apps, so i figure i can skip those steps.

What version will my phone come with? Is there a 2.0? Or is it the 1.5 that the Eris originally came out with?

your new phone will be 1.5... 2.1 has not been officially released yet. there are a couple options for you starting from 1.5. you could go with a 2.1 leak version, but your phone would be locked at that version till the OTA to 2.1, or 2.1 leak gets rooted. that brings up the other option for you. to "Root" your phone and go to a custom 2.1 rom. read up on the Root threads for more info there. plenty of info to totally turn your brain to mush if ya want to. lol. good luck and have fun!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks.
One more question. I think for the most part i might be willing to wait for the OTA update.
But what are the main things that I will be missing out on while I still have 1.5?
The main thing i have read is Google Maps, which is one thing I was excited about getting with my Droid phone.
So what do I get with 1.5? No voice? Or it wont work at all? I have GPS unit now that I always keep muted, so the no voice directions wont bother me as long as I do get step by step directions.

Upvote 0
You will still have google maps, you just wont have the google navigation beta. There are some other apps that you can't run on 1.5 (Google goggles, Urbanspoon, etc) but there is still tons you can do. We were supposed to get the 2.1 OTA in Q1 of 2010 but as today is the last day that is obviously not happing. Since the Droid is currently getting their OTA one can hope that ours comes soon after. Enjoy the phone!

Upvote 0
I'm a new droid eris owner as well. Actually i got mine last friday. Its a great phone/handheld device. At first i was used to my ipod touch so i didn't really know what to make of it. It didn't feel the same and comes loaded with some stuff you may or may not use. The senseui is great and is a feature i couldn't live without. The phone does hiccup once in awhile but its not really an issue at all, at least not for me. I have since loaded mine up with a bunch of apps and have found some really useful apps i couldn't live without (however they are also available for the iphone as well). One such app is Dish Pointer Pro, i have struggled with setting up my dtv dish when we go camping and this app allows you to point your camera to the sky and see exactly where the satellites are located, which is amazing to me. I also use google sky maps the same way but to look for stars/planets. The other day my daughter thought she seen mars, come to find out it was saturn, but still shes only 6 and to know she was looking at a planet is just incredible. Those are an example of 2 apps i couldn't live without and then theres tunewiki which essentially replaces the stock music player. I can finally learn the words to songs i had no idea what they were saying but sounded cool anyway. Just be sure to grab advanced task manager right away as you'll use it alot. It allows you to close out apps to free up memory and uninstall apps without having to goto the marketplace. All in all i love the phone and wouldn't dream being without it. In fact before pulled the trigger i thought about waiting for the nexus one, but after playing with this thing for about a week, i'm glad i didn't decide to wait it out. It does everything i want/need and then some. Good luck with your new phone!

Upvote 0
To each his own... but when I got my Eris, with the HOUR 2.1 was loaded and I never looked back. :D

Since searching these threads, I've only wanted the 2.1 OS with Sense. And since the "Incredible" mystery phone so far is STILL a mystery, I decided on the next best thing for now. If for some reason the Incredible shows up within my 30 day window.. woo hoo I'll own one otherwise.. I'm havin fun now till the real OS is released.

So far its been awesome! :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones