• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What to know before I root my s2.

ghostge

Lurker
Aug 22, 2011
Hey there,

Android Ver - 2.3.3
Baseband Ver - I9100TDVKF2
Kernal - 2.6.35.7
Build No. Gingerbread.DVKF4

Well I am wanting to root my s2 on Telstra, I am new to android so I need to clarify somethings.

What do I need to make sure I have before I start? Version wise..
Does my phone match up for being able to root my device?

Best methods of backing up? - I have used the free version of MyBackup to back up the contacts and data ect. I dont really need anything on my phone besides that.

I have seen a few 2.3.3 guides but the version differences make me abit worried sometimes. I don't want to brick my recently-purchased-24months-contract phone :p

Can someone dummy it down a lil for me. Cheers

so ur running KF4 firmware, which u can root already :) the best method, for me, is the CF root method. the link contains the files and the instructions u need to root via this method
[17.08.2011][CF-Root v4.1] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers
u need to find the matching CF root kernel file on that thread.. i think KF4 kernel should be fine.

ur contacts are already backed up on gmail.. and if ur backup app gets watever u want, then that should be good enough :) if u follow the guide exactly, u wont lose any data.

rooting, or updating new firmware, does not erase any data, or change the way ur phone works. so go for it, its very easy once u do it the first time :D

EDIT: if u want to flash a newer firmware first, follow this guide
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

this link also has the files u need to upgrade ur firmware, plus instructions. if u want to stick to official firmware, XXKG5 (OXA Poland) is the one u want. its running 2.3.4.. KH3 is newer but apparently its not official. both work great, ive tested :) i'd recommend u update firmware first, and then root. just make sure u download the CF root KG5 kernel (or KH3, whichever u flash) instead of the KF4 that i mentioned earlier ;)

Upvote 0
would it be easier to root from KF4 though?

The updated bit sorta confuses me now,. What you mean when you say stick to official firmware, isn't rooting "custom" firmware no matter what?

When it comes to updating the firmware then rooting - That's where it stumps me, does that xxKG5 file update and root? or does it just install firmware only, then you root it using odin.

Also, how do I go about a stock rom just in-case I need to get it repaired under warranty?

Upvote 0
well rooting KF4 is one step. flashing an update, and then rooting that is two steps. so i guess rooting KF4 is easier :) however, KG5/KH3 are much better, in my opinion, much better battery life more than any thing else.. thats why i suggested u update first.

and no, u can flash a custom rom after u root, but u can remain with stock firmware, rooted.. like i have :) using CF root, ur only replacing the kernel (part of the firmware), and even that is a stock kernel, just modified to give root access :)

flashing an update (KG5 etc) wont give u root access. like i said, updating and rooting are two steps. u can find the stock KF4 rom in the second link i posted :)

Reactions: ghostge
Upvote 0
SO i download CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG5-v4.1-CWM4.zip and use that in the guide instead of the CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar like the guide says?

I dont get how to update firmware, sorry android confuses me abit.. I've jailbroken iphone and psp.. just this one is abit trickier

Do I download OXA Poland xxKG5 and stock kernal xxKG5? is this the firmware- how do install that?

CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG5-v4.1-CWM4 is the CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar that the guide talks about, xxxX.X being the version of CF root. so just follow the guides like i said. so to break it down, this is wat i'd do:

[ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF1/2/3/4/, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 Download - xda-developers
click that link.. download Odin. download the OXA XXKG5 firmware (the 260mb file, not the stock kernel). flash it via the instructions.. and then ur running KG5 firmware. do not follow the rooting steps titled Quick Root Guide in this thread...instead, go to the this link
[ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF1/2/3/4/, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 Download - xda-developers

and download the OXA KG5 CF root kernel (the one u linked in ur last post) and flash this via Odin too (all in the instructions in the link, more clearly explained :D)

and then ur rooted! :D there's another post on the CF root guide, #2 post titled "Getting rid of that pesky warning triangle during boot", showing u how to remove that yellow triangle symbol that u'll see when u boot up ur phone. its for this process that u need the stock KG5 kernel (5 or 6mb file)

follow the instructions and ur done! hope that helps

Reactions: ghostge
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones