1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What to root but need some guidance

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by androidem, Sep 15, 2011.

1. androidem

androidem Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Well i was wondering if i rooted my phone but kept the stock froyo (didnt install a custom rom) on my optimus v would i still be able to factory reset without bricking and is there a way to unroot my phone in case i had to send it back to vm i wouldnt be rooting but i would like to overclock my phone and move some of apps to the sd card that cant be done without rooting it Thanks for your help

Advertisement

2. androidem

androidem Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    meant want sorry :)

3. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Unroot the phone before doing a factory reset.
    See here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...4-do-not-factory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html

Yes you can unroot.

You need a nonstock kernel or ROM to overclock.

You can move any app with App2SD, Move2SDEnabeler, Link2SD and a plethora of others.

4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    If you have a new "V" with OS version 2.2.2(go to menu/settings/about phone and look at Android Version), Then you need to use the Gingerbreak.apk to root(which will allow you to revert back to an unrooted state). The best tutorial can be found here
    http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/380801-guide-rooting-without-computer.html
    This will also work great if your OS is 2.2.1 . When done with the Tutorial you will have made a nandroid backup of the stock ROM that you can install, if and when you need to revert back to stock

If you want to keep the stock ROM but want to be overclocked(the stock ROM only goes to 600MHz) then you will need to Download the picasticks kernel which can be found here [Kernel] Picasticks OC kernel built from LG source for Optimus V - Android Forums
    download picasticks-07a.zip
    This kernel will allow you to overclock in the 800MHz range. The 768MHz,787Mhz max-480MHz min seems to be the best overall settings as it will give you longer battery off charge time and the battery will run cooler.

To install the kernel leave it zipped on the Root of the sd card(this means to put it at the bottom of the list of file folders on the sd card,not in any folder). Then go into your recovery and select wipe cache partition,and Dalvik cache(found in the advanced option). Then select "install zip from sd card". Select "choose zip from sd card". Scroll up to get to the bottom quicker and select the picasticks zip. It will take a few minutes to install,when it's done select reboot system now. It might take as much as 7-8 minutes on the first boot up. When it boots up then your good to go to you market app and follow any new directions,then download a Overclocking app.

You can download "No-Frills CPU" or "Set CPU" from the market(I like No-Frills). It wouldn't hurt to down load an app with a battery temp monitor as well. With CPU speeds above 787MHz-480MHz the battery starts to run hotter. I use "Temp Monitor Lite because it puts the temp up in the taskbar so I can see it no matter what page I'm on(this does have to be put on the phone and not the sd card or you will have to go back and reset every time you reboot)

If you want to set your CPU speed higher than 787MHZ, then go until your phone reboots or freeze's(if it freeze's then pull battery and reinsert,then power back on), Then go back down two settings and this is were you can safely be overclocked. This does not mean that all of the system apps will like this speed. If one is not working properly then go down a setting at at a time until it works properly.

Never put the min past 480MHz as this is were the phone idles. If set higher, then your battery will drain faster and get hotter. Mine is set at 480MHz

It would be best if you don't use the apply at boot option until you get the CPU speed set to were it works best for your Phone, If you select apply at boot and the CPU speed is to high and the phone reboots on it's own, then it will keep on in an endless loop, which is kinda hard to get it out of.

As MacFett mentioned: once you root you phone YOU MUST NEVER USE THE FACTORY RESET OPTION ON THE PHONE,IT WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE. You can only use the "wipe data/factory reset in your custom recovery.

More info will follow as you need it by me or the other knowledgeable members such as MacFett, who has the best tutorial on how to move the most amount of apps to the sd card.

Tags: