• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps What Type of App Would You Prefer?

As a developer for years (decades, actually), I wrote more freeware than I can remember. It was "use it if you like it" ware. I think I made about $10 altogether. That's about half a cent a week.

As a user, if the app is something extensive, like an Office app running on Android, I'd pay for it outright. Otherwise I prefer to support the lone guy sitting in his room writing something he needs, then prettying it up and letting it go public - and that's usually a free app. Why? Because he's me 40 years ago. Figuring out how to undelete a file in CP/M, then giving out free copies, is what gave me the start of a 40 year career in writing software.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
As a developer for years (decades, actually), I wrote more freeware than I can remember. It was "use it if you like it" ware. I think I made about $10 altogether. That's about half a cent a week.

As a user, if the app is something extensive, like an Office app running on Android, I'd pay for it outright. Otherwise I prefer to support the lone guy sitting in his room writing something he needs, then prettying it up and letting it go public - and that's usually a free app. Why? Because he's me 40 years ago. Figuring out how to undelete a file in CP/M, then giving out free copies, is what gave me the start of a 40 year career in writing software.

I have developers like you to thank. The many free tools and programs available online helped make the person I am today that is very informed regarding technology.

I and a friend want to begin developing apps but also generate some revenue while we do it. The jobs that we're in aren't what we want but developing seems like something we'd prefer to pursue. Unfortunately for us, as much time as we'd like and as many ideas as we have, we don't think there's enough time to develop and maintain our lifestyle. I was curious how most developers operate through this. I admire and appreciate developers like yourself that do it absolutely free to users.

May I ask what drives you to design programs/applications in this way and not gain any revenue in the process?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones