• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What uses data?

Ferrari353

Feb 6, 2011
California
I'm not really sure which data plan to get, because I have Wifi at home, so I don't think I'll use that much, but I'm not sure if my apps would use a lot of data...Like does the whole HTC sense online thing use data? And would the app locale use any data? Things like that, will they use data?

Also, an off-topicy question: Are there any case companies that are comparable to Otterbox in their quality and design? I have an Otterbox Commuter case for my current phone and I think they're great, but the only thing I don't like about all the Otterbox cases is the silicone. It makes it hard to get the phone in and out of tight jean pockets and it's a lint magnet.

Anyway, any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MMS uses data? wtf? Isn't that included in the unlimited texting pack...? And would those apps use data? Locale, accessing the online HTC Sense thing?

yes its included but it still uses data. Apps will all use data it just depends on how much. That depends on if they use GPS etc etc if i was you i would start with the $25 data package and monitor your usage for 3 months if you dont break 200mb in that time drop it to the $15

Upvote 0
MMS data is phone data, it isn't part of the smartphone data plan you pay for. The main reason I know this is when I am in Tokyo (which feels like every other month now) I usually turn off data on my iPhone. I can send all the MMS/SMS I want and I never see a charge for data, just the standard MMS/SMS international fee. I think its .50 for SMS and $1 or something like that per MMS, I really don't pay a whole lot of attention since I expense it all :p

The last time I left data on.. wow.. dunno if the droid is so data hungry but my iPhone quickly racked up a $190 data bill over 2 weeks lol.

Upvote 0
the easier answer is what doesnt, phone calls and sms everything else pretty much uses data, mms, widgets, internet, apps. Sense does but sense online wouldnt use data unless you send something to it. You have to understand an android phone is in a almost constant state of data connection. From your apps to your info sync to you using it

love the new sig!!!

Reactions: AndreaCristiano
Upvote 0
Any time your phone is sending or receiving information, its using data. Making changes via sense online will use data. You application 'locale" will surely use ddata (though I'm not faniliar with it). The question you AREN'T asking is 'how much data'. That should be your concern.

In terms of sense: very little. It'll mainly be commands to the phone. No pictures or heavy file transfers. As for locale, I cannot say. Apps that use the most data are apps that stream high quality music or video (think pandora or youtube). Any time you are downloading a lot of information, video, or media in general, you are using a lot of data. You'll probably be fine with a 200 mb plan assuming you don't go crazy right away.

Upvote 0
oh okay, so if mms doesn't count against my data plan, then that's fine...but what about locale?? How do I know what kind of apps will use a lot of data? And once again, does accessing the phone from HTC sense online use data?
When you download an app from the market, it tells you exactly what that app uses (ie: phone book, gps, data etc. It tells you before you confirm the download.

Upvote 0
okay, then is there any site or anything that will tell me what apps use how much data for a specified period of time? Like for Locale, would it only use data when it's trying to figure out where I am? AT&T's data calculator says how much a minute of streaming video/music or viewing 1 email/web page, etc.

Dude listen. Its not gonna be the same everytime and there is no site for that info. You have to do what I said. Start with the 25 watch your usage for 3 months and then decide if you can lower your plan. You asking these questions like this when people are.trying to help makes us not want to.

Upvote 0
What kind of apps use the most data? I know streaming music and video would use a lot...but are there any other kind of apps that will use a ton of data?
Any app that tells you it needs to access the data network will use data. The way the market is designed, you'll know what apps require data. If you have wifi at home, that's a good way to limit your dependency on the data network. Social networking apps, email apps, music streaming, youtube all can use alot of data, but it just depends on how often you use those apps and services.

Upvote 0
coarse (network-based) location
Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.

fine (GPS) locationAccess fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the device, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

full Internet access
Allows an application to create network sockets.

Locale accesses these things. Would the location stuff use data or only the internet access part?

Upvote 0
coarse (network-based) location
Access coarse location sources such as the cellular network database to determine an approximate device location, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine approximately where you are.

fine (GPS) locationAccess fine location sources such as the Global Positioning System on the device, where available. Malicious applications can use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

full Internet access
Allows an application to create network sockets.

Locale accesses these things. Would the location stuff use data or only the internet access part?

Dude, lol, email the developer if you want to know precisely how their app works.

What are you getting at? No one can tell you how much data an app uses becuase it depends on how much you use it and for what purpose. I've never gone over 200 mb in my life, and I'm posting from my phone right now. I constantly use google maps, poynt, sports update software, email, the web in general. You'll be fine with the 200 mb plan if all you care about is this locale app. If you get a smartphone you HAVE to have data, at least initially, and you'll need it yo run that app. There is nothing else to answer or discus, really

Upvote 0
Well I'd use more than just that app, but this app is so badass and it incorporates much of what other apps could do to...So would accessing my location use up my data though? And I'll start with the 200 MB plan and see where it takes me...But I heard that AT&T offers a 5 GB family plan for $55, so if that's true, I'd just get that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones