• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What verison is unlocked?

php111

Android Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2013
Hey, what's up?

Here is my rundown:

I had a Galaxy S7 with T-Mobile, it was horrible. Here is why: My original S7 was defective by means of it crashing and freezing on me. I got a warranty replacement so I received my second S7 and after sometime it just would not power up, it just displayed the green guy. You could not even boot into recovery. Now this was sometime ago so I went back with the iPhone.

Galaxy S6? I never had and going to pass because it is the first phone after the S5 where they made it impossible to remove batteries or SIM and everything else kind of like an iPhone. I am good.

S5? This would be better for me but I would need it factory unlocked for both bands which are Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA), and Global System for Mobile Communications. And I need the phone to have the bootloader unlocked. If not, my post count is going to go up regarding KNOX and the Q-fuse (Qualcom) so I could get root! Check out my threads. So, a question is which S5 model to buy that best describes what I explained? I do not want the phone to come with a heavy price tag so I need it to be a little cheaper if possible.

Reactions: WhnEvilStrks
CDMA restricts your choice as only 2 countries in the world have S5 handsets for this old network. They are China and the U.S.A. The U.S. models are Verizon, G900V, Sprint, G900P and US Cellular, G900R4. Of these, the Verizon and Sprint are your best bets since the US Cellular does not work on a great number of international GSM networks. Having said that, the 2 remaining models will not work on most 4G/LTE networks worldwide. Of these 2, the Sprint model would be your best bet as this does not have the mega locked down bootloader of the Verizon model and is rootable. See, also, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide and Will My Phone Work?

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Yes, I know. But what I am asking is, would that be a good one to buy from that seller and does it look like I will be ripped off?

You are asking if you are going to be, "ripped off". It is impossible to ascertain from an eBay listing whether a phone is a clone/fake, blacklisted or water damaged. eBay have a very good returns policy and you will have to rely on that. See, also, Galaxy S5, Fake Clone or Genuine - Dummies Guide. It ends with... "caveat emptor... Let the buyer beware! ;)"

Sprint? Poor Customer Service. In fact I blocked them on Twitter. What about T-Mobile? Are the S5 on their network has the bootloader unlocked?

The OP wants a phone with CDMA compatibility which the T-Mobile (USA) model, G900T, does not have.

Upvote 0
Righ T-Mobile does not use CDMA but instead they use the GSM. What I am asking is if I buy a T-Mobile GSM model and could it be rooted?

Yes. See sticky at the top of this forum.

It would be helpful if, when you post, you could ask, in full, the exact question that you need an answer to and not expect myself and others to second guess your questions. I'm sorry but my ouija board is at the repairers. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones