• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What will replace your N1?

I am still satisfied with my N1 but I realize that I will have to upgrade in the near future. The only phone that I am looking forward to is the rumored Nexus Prime, the next "pure" Google phone. My hope is that HTC will be chosen to manufacture this phone and not Samsung. If Samsung manufactures this phone I will look closely at the reviews to see if its worth getting. If not, then I will hold onto my N1 until something comes along that I think is worthy of replacing my N1.

Upvote 0
when i started this thread a few months ago, i fully expected to be sporting a new binford 6000 android phone. however, nothing has really knocked my socks off and my n1 is still my daily companion. i think i'm going to wait for the next nexus before making a decision. like jdlawyer, i'm going to be very careful if the rumors are true and sammy is the manufacturer. between their reputation and my personal experience of owning a samsung phone before, i just don't trust their ability / commitment to supporting their phones. it does make sense that google would go with them again, their screens are truly amazing and they seem to be the hot manufacturer now. maybe they just needed a dozen or so phones to work out the kinks... i did just read a rumor that motorola is the front runner. i also read today that there are 5 manufacturers who have sent prototypes to google for final review. i'm looking for the links now, read it on my n1 while waiting for a haircut this afternoon and can't remember exactly where. however, the vast majority of "leaks" say it will be samsung. the rumored specs look awesome, so if i can just get over my vow to never own another samsung phone again...

Upvote 0
when i started this thread a few months ago, i fully expected to be sporting a new binford 6000 android phone. however, nothing has really knocked my socks off and my n1 is still my daily companion. i think i'm going to wait for the next nexus before making a decision. like jdlawyer, i'm going to be very careful if the rumors are true and sammy is the manufacturer. between their reputation and my personal experience of owning a samsung phone before, i just don't trust their ability / commitment to supporting their phones. it does make sense that google would go with them again, their screens are truly amazing and they seem to be the hot manufacturer now. maybe they just needed a dozen or so phones to work out the kinks... i did just read a rumor that motorola is the front runner. i also read today that there are 5 manufacturers who have sent prototypes to google for final review. i'm looking for the links now, read it on my n1 while waiting for a haircut this afternoon and can't remember exactly where. however, the vast majority of "leaks" say it will be samsung. the rumored specs look awesome, so if i can just get over my vow to never own another samsung phone again...

I think I would have still been using my Nexus One had I not lost it.

Link to that rumour would be great. I'm trying not to follow the Nexus Prime gossip and hype so intently like I did with the Nexus S. I don't want to be disappointed again.

Upvote 0
I think I would have still been using my Nexus One had I not lost it.

Link to that rumour would be great. I'm trying not to follow the Nexus Prime gossip and hype so intently like I did with the Nexus S. I don't want to be disappointed again.

I haven't been following it at all for that reason. And also because the nexus one still kicks ass! I spotted ray wj with one recently, I don't know how long he's been rocking that baby, I'd also stopped following him to avoid disappointment..hehe. But he's gotten better too, must be the phone huh :D
Anyway back on topic: When I heard the name Nexus Prime my thoughts immediately went to LG, because they have the optimus and so that would make sense in a nerdy witty way, right up google's alley.
And if I'm not mistaken LG was part of the OHA early on too.
I don't know how I'd feel about an LG Nexus, but I'm willing to cast my prior prejudice about LG aside, they seem to be greatly improving in the phone business. My nephew bought an optimus black and it actually felt pretty solid in almost every way.

In any case, I'll continue to not follow the rumors or hype and I'm secretly hoping to be blown out of my socks when it finally surfaces :)

Upvote 0
I am still satisfied with my N1 but I realize that I will have to upgrade in the near future. The only phone that I am looking forward to is the rumored Nexus Prime, the next "pure" Google phone..

I'm with you on that one. I really, really hope they make a decent camera this time. I don't give a rat's behind how many megapixels it has; the problem is the camera itself (the lens) and its incredibly poor quality. The stupid iPhones have incredible cameras; why can't Android phones feature a halfway decent phone camera? (I don't expect professional-grade pictures; just something that does not take mostly blurry pictures with odd colors.)

Upvote 0
I am staying away from any mention of the Nexus Prime (3) or whatever until it comes out in Q4 and I know what the specs are. Following the Nexus S rumours for months only ended up in a big fat disappointment for me.

I'll risk it.....I know it's gonna have my interest above everything else...the build is gonna more N1 like than the Nexus S and the plastic gimmick it has going. I want a dual more, 1080p recording, a GOOD camera, want a 720p display, and regular updates..no one else is gonna be able to touch that unless it's a Google phone. I got my N1 on January 7th, 2010, have no issues with it, no dings even after a few drops(Short distance drops;), and I LOVE how thin it is. I won't stray too far from that..

Upvote 0
Another owner of the N1 waiting to see what the next Nexus phone holds for us. Won't touch it if it is a Samsung. Also won't touch it if it isn't offered on my carrier. I've got a good data plan right now and the carriers have clamped down enough that it isn't worth switching to any of them. The one thing I would like to see is N1 build on the next Nexus. I can STILL hand this phone to anyone and have their eyes go wide and ask what it is. (That includes iPhone owners!)

Upvote 0
I wonder how this whole argument changes now that Google bought the mobile unit from Motorola. Will the 4th nexus be a Moto?

i would hope so. i would much rather see it be motorola than samsung. however, i would guess that the manufacturer was awarded before the buy out last week, so it probably had no impact on the decision. just my two pennies, i'm not basing it off any inside knowledge or anything.

plus, going forward, it would be bad business for google to favor their moto division too much. i believe one of the main reasons is why android has grown so fast is because it has a dozen or so manufacturers. competition forces improvements in technology faster. if google gives too much favor to their own division, they risk losing manufacturers focus and stunting the technology growth of the whole android world. not to mention the loss of marketing dollars that htc, samsung, etc... put into their android phones. every dollar diverted from android to win7 or whatever is a dollar lost to android.

apple never seemed to learn the lesson of beta vs. vhs or windows vs. mac - history always repeats itself. i doubt google make the same mistake.

edit - my mistake, you said the 4th nexus, not the 3rd. however, for many of the reasons stated above, they may not want to take the nexus name away from an open competition among android manufacturers.

Upvote 0
I went with the Galaxy S2. It has a LOT of memory so the biggest problem of the N1 has been solved. Beautiful screen. Snappy processor. Better camera. At first I really missed the led and trackball but they faded away just like having a physical keyboard faded away when I switched from Blackberry to Android. Very happy camper.

Upvote 0
I've been really happy with my Nexus One until recently. I now find the lack of internal memory a real bind. Waiting to see if I will be able to get the new Nexus from Vodafone in the New Year when I can upgrade. If Vodafone don't do it, I don't know what I'll do.

You might want to try to root it and get true APPS2SD and delete stock apps you don't need.

Upvote 0
Talk of rooting scares me! I'm getting on a bit and not ever so techy. Will probably find the new Nexus will be wasted on me actually but then my even less techy minded hubby can inherit my N1! That's my excuse anyway!

Rooting itself is not hard. It's when you start to unlock the bootloader to flash custom ROMs and Radios that you might start seeing issues.

Check the apps you don't use that are heavy in MB and uninstall them. I had Google Earth and I uninstalled it as it was a good 23MB (hog).

Upvote 0
but then my even less techy minded hubby can inherit my N1!

Yeah, that's what we'll have to do if I get a new phone but it'll be really hard to hand over my beloved N1 to him, all his phones end up scratched and battered and it'll upset me if he treats the (MY!!) N1 in the same way.

I'm leaning towards the Razr but it looks enormous despite being so thin.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what we'll have to do if I get a new phone but it'll be really hard to hand over my beloved N1 to him, all his phones end up scratched and battered and it'll upset me if he treats the (MY!!) N1 in the same way.

I'm leaning towards the Razr but it looks enormous despite being so thin.
Case + Screen Protector :) Or a full body guard should do the trick.

Upvote 0
I've been really happy with my Nexus One until recently. I now find the lack of internal memory a real bind. Waiting to see if I will be able to get the new Nexus from Vodafone in the New Year when I can upgrade. If Vodafone don't do it, I don't know what I'll do.

You might want to try to root it and get true APPS2SD and delete stock apps you don't need.

You don't have to root to move more apps to the SD card. Just be aware that a.) widgets, services and polling apps should always be installed to your phone's internal memory. b.) Any new widgets and services installed after you set the default location must be checked and moved back to internal memory before using them, and c.) Even with the default location set to external memory, some apps will always install to internal memory.

You'll need to have the Android SDK installed. How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

Then on your phone go to settings>applications>development and enable USB Debugging. Plug your phone into the PC using the USB cable.

open a command prompt on your PC (start>run type "cmd" press ENTER)

Change directory to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder

At the prompt type
Code:
adb devices
and you should see your phone listed as a serial number.

type
Code:
adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

Done.

Now the default location to install apps is the SD card. And, some apps that you couldn't move to the SD card will now be able to be moved. If you follow the steps above and you install a widget afterwards, you will need to go to settings>applications>manage applications and manually move it to the phone. If you want to set the default install location back to the phone, you simply repeat the process but use
Code:
adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0

Upvote 0
I am still satisfied with my N1 but I realize that I will have to upgrade in the near future. The only phone that I am looking forward to is the rumored Nexus Prime, the next "pure" Google phone. My hope is that HTC will be chosen to manufacture this phone and not Samsung. If Samsung manufactures this phone I will look closely at the reviews to see if its worth getting. If not, then I will hold onto my N1 until something comes along that I think is worthy of replacing my N1.
Exactly what I would have said.

Upvote 0
I finally caved last week and went to a Moto Atrix 2, after being on an N1 since March 2010. The storage space was really driving me crazy (even though I recently rooted and did a lot of moving/deleting of apps), plus I was just starting to feel like the phone was kind of slow. (and I had an accident with some seltzer a month or so ago, and there are still some small water droplet marks on the underside of the screen)

For all my love of the pure Google experience, I sure am happy with a bigger and brighter screen. And the audio on the Atrix 2 is louder and nicer than the N1. (I have hearing issues, so loud is good!) I didn't want anything bigger than 4.3", and the Atrix is a smaller 4.3" than the SGSII, and it just felt better in my hand. Plus, all the storage space! Yay!

And I'd like to believe there's at least an outside chance of getting ICS.

I figure if I'm going to at some point go off-contract again for some beast of a phone, then I might as well try to keep the money spent this time around a bit lower (I did have an upgrade waiting for me). And, really, if you've been on an N1, the difference between a 1.0 dual core and the 1.2 or 1.5 of the SGSII or Vivid may not really be as obvious as just going from N1 to any dual core. But I'm not a gamer or a heavy-duty streaming video watcher.

Plus, the Atrix 2 was not overburdened with bloatware. And it allows for SD cards, which has been bugging me about the Prime.

Upvote 0
I've been really happy with my Nexus One until recently. I now find the lack of internal memory a real bind.
Ditto. :( I really wanted my N1 to be a 2-3 year phone but it's become a real PITA. I recently installed the Eastern European version of Swype (finally!) and it filled up the space to the point where gmail wasn't working. I replaced a battery widget that was 4mb with one that's less than 100k and that did fix it, but I'm clearly at the limit.

Rooting itself is not hard. It's when you start to unlock the bootloader to flash custom ROMs and Radios that you might start seeing issues.

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that unlocking the bootloader was part of the rooting process.

Upvote 0
Ditto. :( I really wanted my N1 to be a 2-3 year phone but it's become a real PITA. I recently installed the Eastern European version of Swype (finally!) and it filled up the space to the point where gmail wasn't working. I replaced a battery widget that was 4mb with one that's less than 100k and that did fix it, but I'm clearly at the limit.

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that unlocking the bootloader was part of the rooting process.

Unlocking the bootloader will give you 100% access to your system files. Rooting only allows you to flab custom ROMS with the same kernel as the stock kernel. You can't touch the Kernel file with just root. When you unlock the bootloader, you can access the kernel file and change it to allow custom ROMS like CyanoganMod or MUI. There are some other stuff but that's the main difference.

Upvote 0
Unlocking the bootloader will give you 100% access to your system files. Rooting only allows you to flab custom ROMS with the same kernel as the stock kernel. You can't touch the Kernel file with just root. When you unlock the bootloader, you can access the kernel file and change it to allow custom ROMS like CyanoganMod or MUI. There are some other stuff but that's the main difference.

I appreciate the explanation! After posting that question, I did a search and found THIS thread on rooting without unlocking the bootloader. I guess my main concern was wiping everything and having to restore it, so just rooting sounds like the ideal solution.

The reason why I'm tempted to root is due to the lack of space (that's what sparked this discussion). Seriously, what were Google and HTC thinking?! If I delete some of the pre-installed, non-removable apps, I can at justify holding onto this phone for a little longer. :) If I do go ahead with this, will there be issues when it comes to Android updates (i.e. will I still get the wifi update, as I have in the past, or will a special process be required)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones