• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What will you do with your old phone?

I'll probably sell my Esteem. I don't have room in my desk drawer with the other stuff in it. :(

8040079679_33810bdca4_c.jpg

Upvote 0
I will say this, To Me, it certainly blurs the real pricing advantage of Metro when you lay out 5 large for a phone. If you amortize the out of pocket $500 (against the say $200 cost of the same phone at a company subsidized store,) that raises the Metro per month (TOTAL-phone "subsidy" and plan) to closer to that of the Big Boys. Why not then for near the same TOTAL price stay/go to where there's genuinely wider coverage?

This is (IMO again) where the LG Motion really shines. You can get it brand spanking new for $140 shipped to your door. Spread out on an imaginary 2 year contract works out to $5.83 a month. Negligible. It also basically negates the need to carry approximately $70 of insurance a year, another say $7 a month. If you can buy a brand new phone for $140, spending 50% of that amount per year on insurance in non-sensical.

I understand the desire for a real nice phone like the G3 but to me anyway, laying out that amount in cash up front limits the pricing advantage I otherwise see in having Metro.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Upvote 0
I will say this, To Me, it certainly blurs the real pricing advantage of Metro when you lay out 5 large for a phone. If you amortize the out of pocket $500 (against the say $200 cost of the same phone at a company subsidized store,) that raises the Metro per month (TOTAL-phone "subsidy" and plan) to closer to that of the Big Boys. Why not then for near the same TOTAL price stay/go to where there's genuinely wider coverage?

This is (IMO again) where the LG Motion really shines. You can get it brand spanking new for $140 shipped to your door. Spread out on an imaginary 2 year contract works out to $5.83 a month. Negligible. It also basically negates the need to carry approximately $70 of insurance a year, another say $7 a month. If you can buy a brand new phone for $140, spending 50% of that amount per year on insurance in non-sensical.

I understand the desire for a real nice phone like the G3 but to me anyway, laying out that amount in cash up front limits the pricing advantage I otherwise see in having Metro.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

the motion is a great device. has the same processor chip as the S3.

keep in mind the $55 plan is unlimited all so in comparing unlimited all plans on the big 4...

55*24+500=1882/24=78 - metropcs unlimited promo individual plan

140*24+200=3560/24=148 - verizon unlimited talk and text and 10Gb data(1 phone, 1 line)
Share Everything Calculator - Verizon Wireless

140*24+200=3560/24=148 - ATT unlimited talk and text with 5GB of data individual plan.
AT&T Shopping Cart - Wireless from AT&T

90*24+280(w/MIR)=2439/24=102 - tmobile unlimited all individual plan
Unsupported Browser

110*24+200=2840/24=118 sprint unlimited all individual plan
http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...abId=pt_individual_tab&INTNAV=ATG:HE:IndPlans

obviously these figures will vary due to the big 4 offering various corporate discounts but not everyone will qualify for those discounts.

5 large is steep up front, but as you can see you still come out on top.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones