1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What Wireless Tether App Are You Using?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Scorpion34, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Scorpion34

Scorpion34 Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Male
    Kansas City
    Just curious what apps people are using for Wireless Tether. On my old Android I already had one on it when I rooted & ROMd it. This one doesn't so thought I'd get some feedback from others.

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Some info first:
    http://androidforums.com/verizon/455585-verizons-official-tethering-policy.html

Android Forums is implementing a *new* policy where "illegal" tethering is not discussed. However, if you are paying for a tethering plan feel free to talk about it.

I believe Verizon requires you to use their tethering app, but I'd assume that other tether apps may work like "open garden", and whether or not that is a violation of their TOS is anyone's guess.

Any questions you can PM any moderator (the users with their names in red). Or there is a private chat with staff area.
    http://androidforums.com/private-chat-staff/

3. Scorpion34

Scorpion34 Member
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Male
    Kansas City
    So we can talk about rooting all day long but not tether? Rooting may not be "illegal" (yet), but it is still frowned upon by all major carriers. I don't really see the difference, but ok I get it.

4. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Grad Student (Applied/Computational Math)
    Milwaukee, WI
  5. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

Rooting doesn't violate the TOS, just voids the warranty, whereas tethering clearly violates the TOS(whether or not you believe it should). The right to root or jailbreak your phone has already been upheld in court.

We can talk about tethering all you want as long as the discussion doesn't revolve around how to violate the TOS by tethering without paying for it. I know it's a very gray area. I recommended an alternative tethering app in my previous post.

Like I said above you can get further clarification in the "private chat with staff" area of the forum or you can PM any moderator.