• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help what wont work in US?

This is dependent upon your carrier and their roaming agreements in the US.

GSM/Edge will work with AT&T or T-Mobile

3G will only work with T-Mobile

Your best bet would likely be to get a flexpay plan through T-Mobile so you can have full 3G access w/out excessive data roaming charges from your carrier and just cancel it when you are leaving.

Though, that does depend upon where you are going to be in the states, T-Mobiles 3G network here is still quite young. If you are going to be in a major city, it will be fine.

Upvote 0
From what I have gathered the devices being sold in Germany and France at least are quad-band GSM/Edge and tri-band 3G, including the needed 1700 AWS band that T-Mobile uses here in the states. I heard from a user on another forum who imported one from Germany that he picked up 3G on T-Mobile.

Expansys lists a 'UK version' and it does *not* list the necessary band in it's specs. Also, a version sporting AT&T compatible 3G passed thru the FCC last week, but it was gathered from accompanying documentation that it is headed for Latin / South America and there obviously was not any sort of release schedule included.

I do not think any info has surfaced on the version going on sale tomorrow in Taiwan, but I would guess it is the same as what is currently out- only way to know is wait and see.

Upvote 0
The hardware supports the band and rumours/inside info suggest that only the radio firmware could/would dictate the frequency band restrictions. This is great news because it means the antenna's are quad band :) Its unlikely that, if they are shipping european phones enabled on the 1700mhz T-mobile band, that they would later disable this band for a version in another region. Obviously the US band should have 1700mhz enabled.

Incidentally i thought AT&T use a subsection of the GSM bands for UMTS? They should work too, but i think only major cities are covered

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones