• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What would happen if...

Question 1: ...I flashed a custom ROM that was in my external SD card and after flashing it, I removed my SD card from my phone? Will that affect anything?

Question 2: Before flashing a custom ROM, I backup and restore. What is "restore"? The original ~ROM~ the phone had when I bought it?

Sorry about the n00b questions. I'm actually new to rooting and flashing custom ROMs.

Question 1: ...I flashed a custom ROM that was in my external SD card and after flashing it, I removed my SD card from my phone? Will that affect anything?

Removing the SD card shouldn't have any effect.

Question 2: Before flashing a custom ROM, I backup and restore. What is "restore"? The original ~ROM~ the phone had when I bought it?

Sorry about the n00b questions. I'm actually new to rooting and flashing custom ROMs.

Yes, your backup should be how your phone was before flashing your custom ROM.

Reactions: mumsawitch
Upvote 0
There is a separate option in CWM for installing from internal 'SDcard'.

FYI, you need to full wipe before installing a new ROM:

1. Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
2. Wipe Cache Partition.
3. Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache.
4. Mounts and Storage > mount /cache /system /data /preload > format /cache /system /data /preload

DO NOT TOUCH: /efs /emmc and /sdcard

Reactions: mumsawitch
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones