• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What would you do?

Racerx2oo3

May 6, 2010
Looking for a bit of advice here. I received my replacement Eris two days ago for a unit that had the broken trackball issue with the randomly wandering cursor.

The new arrived and doesn't seem to exhibit the trackball problem. However, I've discovered that the light under the "Search" softkey doesn't illuminate. The key still works, but it doesn't light up.

I'm of two minds about what to do here. I could just accept it and move on as this unit is mostly superior to my old unit in terms of usage.

Or I could contact Tech Support about the broken softkey, which would likely result in another replacement.

On the one hand the phone functions properly, on the other, the replacement phone is supposed to be "Like New" which this unit definitely isn't.

Thoughts?

Sean

i got one replacement eris and none of the soft keys lit up. I called them the next day and the guy walked me through the reset and all that protocol stuff and they still didn't light up so he said he was sending me a brand new one. It arrived the next day and he also said I could keep any accessories that came with my replacement. So I got a spare cover, battery, charger and SD card ontop of the brand new stuff you get with the phone out of the box.

Upvote 0
Thoughts?

I almost never use that particular soft key.

Based on all the reports we've seen on this board of refurbs that have problems straight out of the box, exchanging one refurb for another almost seems like a game of Russian Roulette at this point in time.

On the one hand, I can see why you might feel slighted by not getting a phone which is in "perfect" shape; on the other, what if the next one you get has a different (small) problem with something that matters to you more?

eu1

Upvote 0
i got one replacement eris and none of the soft keys lit up. I called them the next day and the guy walked me through the reset and all that protocol stuff and they still didn't light up so he said he was sending me a brand new one. It arrived the next day and he also said I could keep any accessories that came with my replacement. So I got a spare cover, battery, charger and SD card ontop of the brand new stuff you get with the phone out of the box.

Pretty sweet. My replacement came with just the phone itself. No battery, cover, SD card or anything else.

Sean

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones