• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What would you like to see in the next firmware upgrade?

you would hope that someone from HTC is populating this forum ???? This appears to be the biggest out there for their products and they would learn more by reading here than polling people etc.

Another android forum I am a member of (archos 5 android) is read by people from Archos and they also post up firmware updates on there and that seems to be a relationship that if dealt with correctly can work to the advantage of all parties

Upvote 0
I have sent the current list of firmware wishes to HTC, and I have received this reply:

Thank you for contacting us. About the problem that you have mentioned t us, I can gladly help you wit that: All your suggestions will be transfered to the accurate department. I trust that this resolve's your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. Thank you for contacting HTC. Best regards, Patricia D HTC

Upvote 0
Does nobody apart from Kboya and me use and RECORD music?

This is the one thing that is completely useless compared to my old SE C902. A plug in mic via the micro usb maybe? Or anything please!!!

Even if playback has no eq, and sounds dreadful without phones, what is the point of a good video recorder with audio that is 100 times worse than my now ancient SE ???

Please Google / HTC whoever - come up with something to make sound recording useable - great idea, but dreadful implementation.

I'm almost begging now....

Upvote 0
A great thread, I've only just come across this, but have some more thoughts not mentioned yet (NineToTheSky, do you plan to send them any more requests in the future?)...

- birthdays in contacts to appear in the calendar... and get notifications

- the ability to turn on the camera flash LED and leave it on

- to improve sound in video camera recordings, the ability to up the sample rate (the microphone is actually okay, it's just the way the audio is recorded)... same with the audio recorder too

- when phone contacts are linked to facebook contacts (to complete contacts with extra email addresses, birthdays etc), can some of this data be permenantly dragged across to the phone contact, even after they've been unlinked (so when we sync contacts back to outlook on a PC, the info comes with it)

Them there are my dreams!! Otherwise, awesome phone!

James

Upvote 0
- AAC used for audio recording (in video and voice recording apps) instead of the awful AMR.
- Improved video recording, 720p that was mentioned in an interview with someone from HTC would be nice, although improving low light/frame rate is something that is more important imo.
- Apps on SD card without the need to root the device

I liked the "Sending music to car stereo by using the FM radio transmission capabilities of the onboard radio chip" idea, whether thats' something an app could do or a firmware update is required I'm not sure but that'd be really useful!

Basically better audio and video recording, anything else for me is a bonus!

Reactions: DC1
Upvote 0
I use my phone for work all day. Two things which would make a very big difference for me are:

i) Screen lock and timeout being seperated like on a WM phone. Corporate policy is to have a passcode on the phone if it has corporate email on it. Default time is after one hour. I want the phone to turn the screen off to save battery power after (say) two mins BUT i don't want to have to put the code in every time. Happy for the code to come into play after 1 hour. WM can do it so there is a way.

ii) Synch with Exchange 'to do' list. I can't live without this

Sad things to want but very important for corporate users

Upvote 0
I was away to start a new thread about what I think is missing on the Desire, however, its all been addressed here.

What I would like to know is, being new to HTC, are they quite good at addressing issues and are they quite good at getting upgrades out to the consumer. Had an iphone before and recently dumped the Blackberry (they're useless), many thanks.

Upvote 0
- AAC used for audio recording (in video and voice recording apps) instead of the awful AMR.
- Improved video recording, 720p that was mentioned in an interview with someone from HTC would be nice, although improving low light/frame rate is something that is more important imo.
- Apps on SD card without the need to root the device

I liked the "Sending music to car stereo by using the FM radio transmission capabilities of the onboard radio chip" idea, whether thats' something an app could do or a firmware update is required I'm not sure but that'd be really useful!

Basically better audio and video recording, anything else for me is a bonus!

AAC a must! it's a real shame puting the amr, tw o of my frend's switch the desire becaus of crapy audio recording. Is it possible to change that with an update?

Upvote 0
My gripes in no particular order:

1. The lack of an HID bluetooth stack. This prevents use of an external bluetooth keyboard and hence prohibits the device being used as a productive mini-office when traveling.

2. Gmail not fully integrated with the other communications options - for example, cannot send contact details via mail if one uses Gmail configured via the Gmail app. This is surprising given the Google-centric nature of the OS. I have tried using Mail instead and like its pinch zoom and download advantages but dislike it's lack of push for new mail.

3. When searching one cannot select the previous search phrase and edit it.

4. Inability to move some large apps to the MC. With Flash, Google Maps, Google Earth etc weighing in at around 10Mbytes apiece, this severely limits the number of useful apps that can be loaded.

Reactions: greenfirn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones