• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What would your best advice be?

pbf98

Android Expert
Oct 16, 2011
MN
Hey all, I am a programmer myself with experience in java... as well as a few other languages and I have been curious and have been wanting to try and make or help with roms, but I don't exactly know where to start.

So my question for you is, where would you say is the best place to get started any tutorials you found very useful? I would like to be able to help build for the MT of course that is why I am posting here

So do you have any advice that I could take in, it will give me something more productive to do while I'm not working other than facebook lol ... though I just got into programming the kinect for windows

It just seems to me I spend way to much time doing nothing productive on days I don't have anything to do, and I'd like to do something, and this is something I have wanted to do for quite a while.

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Hey all, I am a programmer myself with experience in java... as well as a few other languages and I have been curious and have been wanting to try and make or help with roms, but I don't exactly know where to start.

So my question for you is, where would you say is the best place to get started any tutorials you found very useful? I would like to be able to help build for the MT of course that is why I am posting here

So do you have any advice that I could take in, it will give me something more productive to do while I'm not working other than facebook lol ... though I just got into programming the kinect for windows

It just seems to me I spend way to much time doing nothing productive on days I don't have anything to do, and I'd like to do something, and this is something I have wanted to do for quite a while.

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

You could poke around one of the many ROMs that are in current development, I know we could use some help in g60's cm7, matera's ICS cm9, and ziggy and mobstergunz are having trouble with their ROM.

Upvote 0
You could poke around one of the many ROMs that are in current development, I know we could use some help in g60's cm7, matera's ICS cm9, and ziggy and mobstergunz are having trouble with their ROM.

I would love to be able to help in these places, I would like to be able to offer input and help solve solutions, but I just need a little push start of what to look for and what I need to start.. I have read about installing a virtual machine with ubuntu and getting android kitchen, things like that, and I have also heard of just using a Java development tool such as Eclipse.

These are the kinda tips I am looking for so I will be able to get a start and see what I can do to help

Upvote 0
I would love to be able to help in these places, I would like to be able to offer input and help solve solutions, but I just need a little push start of what to look for and what I need to start.. I have read about installing a virtual machine with ubuntu and getting android kitchen, things like that, and I have also heard of just using a Java development tool such as Eclipse.

These are the kinda tips I am looking for so I will be able to get a start and see what I can do to help

If you hit Motorola Triumph Dev I have a full tutorial on building CM7 and setting up your Linux box. I don't recommend VM but it does work if you have the resources. There is also one I wrote for building CM9 as well. The code is Java, C, C++. The big push I am working on is fixing HDMI on CM7. I know the Camera not working on CM9 is a the big one, along with HDMI. When Android released the AOSP 4.0 they changed the calls of the camera, so it's dorked up a lot of dev's on all phones. A few have gotten it to work but that is the big one still not causing issues on most MSM/QSD devices running CM9.

Once Whyzor left the MT I asked him if I could take over development on CM7 so that was my foot into the door. There is really not great documentation out there that I have found. Mostly trial and error but everyone here on the forums is always ready to help :cool:. I would start with picking a version of the ROM you like and see if you can lend a hand fixing some of the issues.

Upvote 0
lol I have been away from rooting for so long I only remember CM and MIUI and froyocream

I found the source code for CM9 .. I think anyway at github.com/mantera ..
What I am looking for is a single source file with all the source code that I could download being I am at work now I haven't had too much time to really look into all of it, but I know I am definitely interested in helping out anywhere I can. Not only will I be helping the MT community, but also help master my OOP skills haha

Tonight I plan on installing anything I need to tinker around with the roms .. and I will be looking for a cheap MT so I don't have to worry about messing up my phone that i use every day haha
So anyone have any advice on what to install.. ie Eclipse any other tools, I read the article and I will be setting up a virtual PC on my home PC with Ubuntu
Again Thanks for the advice that has been given this far

Upvote 0
lol I have been away from rooting for so long I only remember CM and MIUI and froyocream

What I am looking for is a single source file with all the source code that I could download being I am at work now I haven't had too much time to really look into all of it, but I know I am definitely interested in helping out anywhere I can. Not only will I be helping the MT community, but also help master my OOP skills haha

Tonight I plan on installing anything I need to tinker around with the roms .. and I will be looking for a cheap MT so I don't have to worry about messing up my phone that i use every day haha
So anyone have any advice on what to install.. ie Eclipse any other tools, I read the article and I will be setting up a virtual PC on my home PC with Ubuntu

If you follow g60's guide for cm9 or cm7, when you do a repo sync as one of the steps in the guide, you'll get the complete source code for building cm9 or cm7.

Again, g60's guide for cm9 is:

http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...uide-setting-up-your-android-environment.html

Reactions: pbf98 and g60madman
Upvote 0

You should give AOKP a try. It melts me inside.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones