1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root What would your best advice be?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pbf98, May 2, 2012.

1. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    Hey all, I am a programmer myself with experience in java... as well as a few other languages and I have been curious and have been wanting to try and make or help with roms, but I don't exactly know where to start.

So my question for you is, where would you say is the best place to get started any tutorials you found very useful? I would like to be able to help build for the MT of course that is why I am posting here

So do you have any advice that I could take in, it will give me something more productive to do while I'm not working other than facebook lol ... though I just got into programming the kinect for windows

It just seems to me I spend way to much time doing nothing productive on days I don't have anything to do, and I'd like to do something, and this is something I have wanted to do for quite a while.

Any advice is appreciated
    Thanks

Advertisement

2. Confinest

Confinest Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2012
    Campbell, CA
  3. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2011
    mechanic
    NE Florida
    You could poke around one of the many ROMs that are in current development, I know we could use some help in g60's cm7, matera's ICS cm9, and ziggy and mobstergunz are having trouble with their ROM.

4. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    I would love to be able to help in these places, I would like to be able to offer input and help solve solutions, but I just need a little push start of what to look for and what I need to start.. I have read about installing a virtual machine with ubuntu and getting android kitchen, things like that, and I have also heard of just using a Java development tool such as Eclipse.

These are the kinda tips I am looking for so I will be able to get a start and see what I can do to help

5. g60madman

g60madman Guest
    None
    If you hit Motorola Triumph Dev I have a full tutorial on building CM7 and setting up your Linux box. I don't recommend VM but it does work if you have the resources. There is also one I wrote for building CM9 as well. The code is Java, C, C++. The big push I am working on is fixing HDMI on CM7. I know the Camera not working on CM9 is a the big one, along with HDMI. When Android released the AOSP 4.0 they changed the calls of the camera, so it's dorked up a lot of dev's on all phones. A few have gotten it to work but that is the big one still not causing issues on most MSM/QSD devices running CM9.

Once Whyzor left the MT I asked him if I could take over development on CM7 so that was my foot into the door. There is really not great documentation out there that I have found. Mostly trial and error but everyone here on the forums is always ready to help :cool:. I would start with picking a version of the ROM you like and see if you can lend a hand fixing some of the issues.

guiitardude, Confinest and pbf98 like this.
  6. thebryceee

thebryceee Android Expert
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Hint: AOKP :p

7. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    lol I have been away from rooting for so long I only remember CM and MIUI and froyocream

I found the source code for CM9 .. I think anyway at github.com/mantera ..
    What I am looking for is a single source file with all the source code that I could download being I am at work now I haven't had too much time to really look into all of it, but I know I am definitely interested in helping out anywhere I can. Not only will I be helping the MT community, but also help master my OOP skills haha

Tonight I plan on installing anything I need to tinker around with the roms .. and I will be looking for a cheap MT so I don't have to worry about messing up my phone that i use every day haha
    So anyone have any advice on what to install.. ie Eclipse any other tools, I read the article and I will be setting up a virtual PC on my home PC with Ubuntu
    Again Thanks for the advice that has been given this far

8. mantera

mantera Android Expert
    None

May 21, 2011
    If you follow g60's guide for cm9 or cm7, when you do a repo sync as one of the steps in the guide, you'll get the complete source code for building cm9 or cm7.

Again, g60's guide for cm9 is:

http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...uide-setting-up-your-android-environment.html

pbf98 and g60madman like this.
  9. thebryceee

thebryceee Android Expert
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    You should give AOKP a try. It melts me inside.

10. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    Thank you all, there is a hold up, my pc I currently use does not have the capability of supporting an Ubuntu version with 4gb.. so it looks like it will be on hold until I finish my new computer that will have 16gb ram 120gb ssd i7 quad core haha

11. Austrie

Austrie Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2011
    Male
    St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands
    You could install a older version of ubuntu, my favourite is 10.04, that support 32bit and 64bit instead of 12.04.