• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's a girl to do? Screen Size does matter.....

Gink

Feb 14, 2010
Bronco Nation
What is up with all these GINORMOUS Android devices? The Fascinate sure is nice but it's freaking huge. And the Droid X? Seriously....? All these devices are marketed towards men. Most women I know don't want to carry around these huge devices.

With that said, are there any other smaller but top-of-the-line Android devices coming out soon?

For reference: the iPhone 4 is the perfect size. :(

What is up with all these GINORMOUS Android devices? The Fascinate sure is nice but it's freaking huge. And the Droid X? Seriously....? All these devices are marketed towards men. Most women I know don't want to carry around these huge devices.

With that said, are there any other smaller but top-of-the-line Android devices coming out soon?

For reference: the iPhone 4 is the perfect size. :(

??

The tiny little lady who sold me my Fascinate had a Droid X on her hip.

I have a woman co-worker with a Galaxy S, and my best friend's wife carries a Droid.

This thread belongs in the Lounge, by the way; I've moved it for you. ;)

Upvote 0
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Are there any smaller Android devices coming out on the VERIZON network?

I think you've put your finger on one of the trends in device marketing: bigger and bigger.. larger displays, etc.

Perhaps Blackberry is staying the course, for the most part, on their smaller screens (with the exception of the Storm).

Verizon just goes with the flow.. I'd hate to try to predict a trend away from bigger phones (I just gave up an Eris for a Fascinate, for example).

Upvote 0
My sister went from BB tour to the Incredible and loves it. I recommend it highly. It is a top of the line, world-leading device. Personally, I love the DX, but it is on the large size. I see your point. Let us know how you are leaning. Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Are there any smaller Android devices coming out on the VERIZON network?

I pre-ordered my Incredible and wanted my GF to do likewise, but she wasn't interested UNTIL mine came, then I had to find her one or I would have lost mine! She absolutely loves hers and says it fits in her hand better then any other phone she had so far!

I highly recommend checking out the Incredible! :eek:

EDIT: Steven you bastard, you beat me to it again! :)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
erm..

I am not really a fan of the bigger = better mentality

However, I do think some people really do jump the gun with "thats too big" comments.

Think about it this way.. whats the point of getting a smart phone if you can't comfortably read the screen at a fair distance.

I don't mind holding bb style phones closer.. I don't have them to recreationally browse..

android phones I view as an almost purely recreational device, that have productivity advantages.

Upvote 0
I would hold out longer. The incredible is a great phone but it's aging and you know htc is bound to release something new by Christmas.

My fiance was looking for the exact same thing but caved and got an EPIC. Really though, she carries it around in her purse so it's size doesn't bother her nearly as much as say someone who carries it in their pocket.

Upvote 0
It's really not a gender thing, it's personal preference. I'm female and love my DroidX. I'm planning on getting a Sam Gal Tab, not to replace my phone, but to carry in my purse when I need more screen real estate. Alas, I'm getting old and my eyes are going, and I refuse to get glasses, so I'll keep going big or going home. Although I did use a DInc for a while, and truly loved that phone as well. I think the DInc's going to be a solid performer for a while, I don't see it getting phased out any time soon, but yeah, It's smaller, sleeker, and even sexy, so go to your nearest VZW store and try out the DInc, but please don't imply that I'm manly for being able to handle a DX!

Upvote 0
I must admit when I first looked into getting the HTC Desire, it was a helluva lot bulkier than I thought I would be comfy with.. but after getting addicted to Alchemy and getting the hang of messaging, taking photos etc on such a bigger device, specifically in comparison to my previous phone, Nokia E51, I've not noticed... besides.. with so many features.. something's gotta give.. and there's no way you could appreciate those features on the likes of a Nokia E51 screen (for example) :)

Upvote 0
Sorry for the misleading title...LOL... I thought it was clever and was actually very applicable to my post.

Not implying that anyone is manly for having a larger device, not in the least... I was simply saying that most of the women I know opt for something smaller. If I was carrying it in my purse then maybe it would be a different story and the larger devices would be fine. Unlike a lot of women I carry mine in my pocket. My 5 year old son has severe health issues and I can't afford to NOT hear/feel the phone when it rings.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I actually do like the DInc and the size is about as large as I can go. My only problem is that I hate Sense. While carrying the Eris I had more problems than I ever have before with a phone/smartphone. I had a ton of pocket dials and answers and that was pretty much a deal killer for me. The weak vibe was also a huge issue. And I hate lots of their other "features" as well. Now that it's getting a bit cheaper I'm toying with the idea of getting a DInc and rooting it to a vanilla ROM but I was just hoping that something new was in the works, something on the smaller side.

Honestly, I had so many problems/dislikes with my Eris that I'm a little hesitant to purchase another HTC device.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Upvote 0
Im a girl and I have the EVO, I picked it up for the features, not really for the size, but I love it. I would say go to your local Verizon store, and play with every droid device they have available. I loved the opening line by the way! Size matters sometimes you know, lol... um we wont get into why I think so, but when I say Eddie no d*ck, it comes from an old hilarious story... well hilarious from a womans point of view anyways, lol

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I actually do like the DInc and the size is about as large as I can go. My only problem is that I hate Sense. While carrying the Eris I had more problems than I ever have before with a phone/smartphone. I had a ton of pocket dials and answers and that was pretty much a deal killer for me. The weak vibe was also a huge issue. And I hate lots of their other "features" as well. Now that it's getting a bit cheaper I'm toying with the idea of getting a DInc and rooting it to a vanilla ROM but I was just hoping that something new was in the works, something on the smaller side.

Honestly, I had so many problems/dislikes with my Eris that I'm a little hesitant to purchase another HTC device.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Honestly, the Home Replacements available eliminate the need to use Sense. I am also a former Eris user (still have it though) and I can tell you that in my experience, the Incredible is a head and shoulders improvement over the Eris.

Best Of luck in your decision!

Upvote 0
While carrying the Eris I had more problems than I ever have before with a phone/smartphone. I had a ton of pocket dials and answers and that was pretty much a deal killer for me.

Do you have Call Confirm on your phone? It's a great app if you have a habit of pocket dialling. It ask you to confirm your call.

yea cause 1/2" is such a huge huge difference..

To some people, it does :) It all depends on people's preferences.

Upvote 0
First I'd like to say that I know quite a few girls/women that have larger android devices (droid x, evo 4g, and the galaxy s line).

As for a good size verizon android phone? Well the first choice I would have to say is the HTC Incredible. It's a really good sized phone if you are looking for compactness. It's like the iphone size.

Next I would say give the Samsung Fascinate a try, you probably could get use to size of it.

The next one is the HTC merge, it looks to be about the same as the HTC G2 just verizon branded. So could be a 3.8inch screen. Only thing is a physical keyboard might add more bulk that you don't want, or you might like the keyboard.
HTC Merge for Verizon gets snapped: another Android phone with Bing -- Engadget

Also you might wanna look to see what the Motorola Dual Core android phone has instore for us, that might be a device in the size range you want. It's suppose to be available for the holidays.

Upvote 0
I was feeling the same way Gink was and went with the Eris because I liked Sense and the size of the phone. It doesn't look like the manufacturers are going to put anything serious in a small package these days though. The phones keep getting bigger and bigger. The only ones that I've seen coming down the line that are of a normal size with a 3.5" screen or below are geared towards the social side of things like the Cliq or the Flipout. Since I want a phone that can actually perform, none of these will really work. I went in a played with a new Fascinate yesterday and while I do find it rather large, it is really nice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones