1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips What's a good tripod mount for the S3 in a case?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Zoandroid, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    I'm using an Otterbox Commuter case on my S3, and I am looking for a tripod mount adapter that will hold well.

Any of you using such a case know that it has a protruding rubber edge surrounding the display, so that if you were to cut the S3 in half while lying on its back, and look at the cross section, it would resemble

o______o

I found an interesting mount on Amazon called a Super Mount that works like a tiny rubber padded precision clamp to gently clamp the phone on edge, and then mount to a tripod. One fellow had a nice video review showing how it works. But with the protrusions around the glass, I wonder if it would work for me? It might tend to rock the phone, rolling the glass forward because it would only be pressing on the little "o" in my example above. Kind of like this
    ..o\\
    .....\\
    ...Xo\\X--knob

instead of like this
    ...o||
    .....||
    ..Xo||X--knob

(please ignore the periods in my little ascii drawing - they were needed to align the other characters the way this forum won't render blank spaces at the beginning of a line of text)

Anyone familiar with this mount, or have a suggestion for one that will work when using the Commuter case?

Advertisement

2. Doyer

Doyer Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Mobile Grip Mini Fold-Up Smartphone Tripod

Comes with a 1/4 20 adapter for the Mobile Grip holder. The holder is a tight fit with the Commuter, but it's perfect. You can use the little tripod or unscrew the adapter and use it on a normal sized tripod or anything with a 1/4 20. And it's only $18.

Pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Zoandroid and danielunde like this.
  3. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Thanks for the reply!

In the interim I happened to find this one, which I ordered, it fits the Commuter case very well, and firmly but gently holds my phone onto a standard 1/4-20 thread tripod

Amazon.com: American Recorder Universal Smart Phone Bracket, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

[​IMG]

This isn't my phone, but the picture they had on Amazon showing how it works:

[​IMG]

The curved 'jaws' on top and bottom are a soft rubber, like silicon rubber or something. Once it is gently screwed down, the phone won't move in the jaws at all.

I wanted this because when I try to take a panoramic picture it seems like I always end up slightly moving up or down, and anything such as a deck railing, window casing, or other straight line parallel to the horizon will end up looking curved in the picture, and it messes up the shot. So on a tripod, that won't happen, as I can pan and keep the phone steady on the same horizontal plane as it rotates .