1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Whats a smaller alternative for the nexus 6?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Android Question

Hi guys.
    I've been a fanboy of the nexus line since I first switched to android with a Galaxy Nexus. I love how with them ones deals directly with google, how can one gets them unlocked easily, how fast and efficiently one can get updates and, above all, how one gets the pure android experience, as I despise carrier and manufacturer bloatware and branding.

I will need to change my Nexus 5 phone fairly soon, and was really hoping and praying the rumors of the next nexus being 6 inches weren't true. But now that the Nexus 6 is official and indeed a behemoth I will not be getting one.

So here lies my problem: what phone to get next? One that's an upgrade over the nexus 5 but definitely not that big. 5 inches or so is the limit. Any help?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It's a bit tricky as anything else leaves you relying on at least the manufacturer for updates. People say the recent Motorolas are close to pure Android. If you are in the US a "Google Play Edition" phone will be vanilla android, but they are only available in the US. Or of course you can buy another phone, root it and run custom ROMs based on plain Android - most recent flagships will have good development communities.

What you don't say is why you will need to change the N5, i.e. whether there is something wrong with it. Because if not then the other option is not to change it - just update to Lollipop and keep it until there is something you like better available.