• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's a worthy replacement?

Dave L

Apr 30, 2010
Thailand
Hi all,

I have had my Desire a couple of years, or almost at least and I really fancy a change. The Desire has been a great phone but times do change and I think the time is near.

I'm not really up to speed on phones just around the corner so wouldn't know when the best time would be. I fancy the Sensation but wonder if it's likely to be superseded any time soon.

Can anyone make any suggestions? I love HTC phones but as long as it's Android I'll consider others :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm liking the look of the Xperia S as well. I want my next phone to have ANT+ connectivity, and the Xperia line is the only brand that seems to feature this at present (apart from one left-field HTC model that I'm not interested in). So I'll take a look at what deals are around for the Xperia S when it comes out, or maybe snap up an Xperia Arc S if some discounted prices come along. My Desire is out of contract in early April.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you said that about the plastic, I thought I was the only one that thought that.
I want to like that phone so bad, will see what I think when I actually hold one.
I'll have to take a look at the other link you posted.
A quad core phone... Man that sounds immense..
A tad stupid for a phone, but so immense.
Worries me a little bit though even considering a quad core phone, unless the battery has been optimized an awful lot, or just the general system usage.
Knowing how fast my Desire sucked at my battery, from full to flat in 8-9 hours was just silly, hoping a quad core won't be the same. Saying that though, the dual cores (that I'm aware of) last longer than that.

Am I worrying about nothing? Maybe, but I do what I do!

Upvote 0
Just decided I don't like the Xperia S. It's seems to have a band of transparent plexiglass near the bottom.

xperia-s-see-..-1500x822.jpg

Maybe it's appearance in the flesh may be OK but from the image.... Yuk!

Upvote 0
My contract will be up in May, so there's no rush. Don't think I'll be running to the store, when that day comes. I still love the Desire, in most part thanks to dGB, but an upgrade will happen eventually, probably sometime next autumn... Barring the unforseen disaster!

My main worry in this upgrade, is that I want to choose a phone with as positive and flourishing a user community around it as the Desire has. Maybe I have been spoiled rotten by you guys, but it is a real concern for me!

Upvote 0
I'm waiting for the Xperia S (as far as I understand the clear bit is where the buttons for menu, home etc. appear - I think it looks quite good), the Galaxy S3, or the Endeavour.

Not too fussed about quad core as I use my phone as, well, a phone really, not for playing games, music or videos, so all that power seems a bit pointless to me. The best phone I've ever had was a Sony (yes, even preferred it to my Desire) so I am leaning towards the Xperia, but I'm interested in the others depending on costs. I'm due for an upgrade in April, so we'll see what's around.

Upvote 0
I have been looking at that quad core phone too, got a bit of time to study it a bit more as my earliest upgrade date is June.
Just hoping to make as good a choice as i did with the desire.
The wife is due her phone upgrade first in march, as she only wants a blackberry i prof as there's a free arnova g2 tablet as a free gift (something else for me to experiment with) :D

Upvote 0
The good thing about me liking android is all my market app purchases (or most) will transfer, unlike when I went from Blackberry to android.

24 months seemed long to me, but truthfully, I loved my desire so much that it didn't really matter. I would still be happy using it, but if I dont upgrade, I lose out so come May, I need to have a clear idea of the direction I need to go.

But these long contracts do mean I must get as new a release as possible to keep it currentl for longer. However, I need to know its rootable and has a good development communicty behind it.

I would not be able to take a device with no Custom ROM and give it the first custom ROM. Thats a step up from my skill set right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones