• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's a worthy replacement?

Agreed, the 24 month contract I had on my Desire never seemed to long (I did get out 3 months early though). It was just the draw of the new toy syndrome.

I have though gone for an 18 month on my Nexus as I think things are changing faster than they once were as manufacturers and developers realise Android is THE platform to be behind.

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
The good thing about me liking android is all my market app purchases (or most) will transfer,

24 months seemed long to me, but truthfully, I loved my desire so much that it didn't really matter. I would still be happy using it

But these long contracts do mean I must get as new a release as possible to keep it currentl for longer. However, I need to know its rootable and has a good development communicty behind it.

Agree 100%
I wouldn't like I phone knowing it couldn't be rooted.

Upvote 0
Well I'm pretty much in the same boat as most of you guys. Contract runs out in May so I can upgrade but to be honest, I think I'm going to keep my desire until it breaks! Or at least another year after May.

Running Oxygen ROM with a few mods and it's perfect I don't have any issues and don't use my phone for that much really. I like the smaller screen as I don't watch videos etc and I think the newer phones are becoming more PDA like than mobile phone!

Plus if you go to Three (in the UK) it's

Upvote 0
One final thing - I too thought about what phone I would get next, but for me a lot of the new phones are evolutionary, not revolutionary (nicked that saying ;) ) A bigger issue for me was that with some of the games they can be a bit fiddly on a small screen. So I got myself an android tablet with a dual core processor for games. I have the Desire as my phone and use the tablet for the internet and gaming. The battery life on the tablet is great too.

Don't rule a tablet out.

Upvote 0
.. Just another 7 months for me before I can even consider upgrading. Pff.

From my understanding T-Mobile are being rather uninspiring with the choices they are offering at the minute. Hopefully it will pick up by he time I come round to upgrade. I'll just hang fire for the MWC before I start doing my usual research.

Upvote 0
.. Just another 7 months for me before I can even consider upgrading. Pff.

From my understanding T-Mobile are being rather uninspiring with the choices they are offering at the minute. Hopefully it will pick up by he time I come round to upgrade. I'll just hang fire for the MWC before I start doing my usual research.

Don't forget they carphone warehouse can upgrade your existing t mob contract... you still pay t mob but cpw supply a handset. More choice

Upvote 0
My contract is up in April. I love my Desire but my wife has the Galaxy S2 which I do like but it is now 1 year since release so I will probably wait to see what the S3 looks like. I went to CPW for a look and a play yesterday, blimey some of these new phones are huge :eek:. The Desire fits nicely in my pocket, not sure about these 4.65in monsters, will need to wear cargo pants just to carry my phone around :D

Upvote 0
Don't forget they carphone warehouse can upgrade your existing t mob contract... you still pay t mob but cpw supply a handset. More choice

Yeah - I will most likely buy from CPW as I learnt the hard wayabout the crippling Bloatware on these devices. I know it wont be an issue with the memory - but I really irks me that I pay a lot of money for a phone which becomes pre-loaded with utter tripe which I shall never use. It's pure cheeky.
Although I dare say my next choice will be heavily influenced on the dev community behind it. Once you have a taste for this rooting lark, you want to indulge they most you can!

Upvote 0
I don't know whether it's Google's fault (the last 2 Nexi have had fixed storage), a design thing (saves space if you don't have to include a slot) or some lunacy from marketing (people might buy the more expensive phone to get more storage, but they might also buy someone else's phone, so I hope it isn't supposed to be some clever plan).

Not seen hard specs from MWC yet, but all reports seem to be saying that the One X (formerly Endeavour) has 32 GB non-expandable and the One S (formerly Ville) is being reported by some as 16 GB non-expandable. That latter would be a bit gutting, as the S otherwise looks very nice indeed - admittedly if there is any phone in the range that wouldn't have room for a slot it would be that one, but giving it too little storage and thereby ruling it out for many people seems really dumb (the origin of my little speculation about marketing messing up specs above).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones