• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's a worthy replacement?

just read reviews of the One S, One X, LG 4X, Xperia S. None of them is a replacement for the desire. I like the One S, but lack of battery access puts me off. One X is just TOO big for me anyway... Like the look of the LG, but as you say its an LG!
Just as well I can't upgrade until July as there is nowt that floats my boat yet!

Upvote 0
just read reviews of the One S, One X, LG 4X, Xperia S. None of them is a replacement for the desire. I like the One S, but lack of battery access puts me off. One X is just TOO big for me anyway... Like the look of the LG, but as you say its an LG!
Just as well I can't upgrade until July as there is nowt that floats my boat yet!

I think I'm settled on the Xperia S.
The One X sounds like a beast but may be a little over the top for my actual usage.

Upvote 0
I like the Xperia S's screen size+resolution, and if I have to have fixed storage then I want 32GB minimum. But I don't need to jump at any particular time - I'm in the "starting to watch the market again" phase rather than the "desperately looking for a reason to upgrade" one ;)

I've no experience with LG smartphones. I have seen a lot of their dumbphones fail fairly quickly (they appealed to girls my daughter's age a couple of years ago), and wasn't impressed with build quality of those, but their smartphones may be a different story for all I know.

Upvote 0
The battery pull can be simulated by holding down power for 10 seconds.
HTC One X Wins Two Awards at Mobile World Congress

Indeed, but as my testing earlier in this thread identified, the desire version of this would not be sufficient necessarily.

Blackberry have simulated battery pull. It's good and cures 90% of battery pull requirements as does the desires. But that 10% is where we modders need it.

There is no substitute for an.actual battery pull

Upvote 0
Hmm definitely concerned over these new breed having fixed batteries - I'd definitely want to carry on modding. Lucky in that I'm not due an upgrade until Sept at the earliest so will hopefully get the benefit of advice from folks on here who have had to change earlier, and keep an eye on level of dev for them.

I'd also like to know what audio hardware these things are going to have but really difficult to find much on this - eg SGS3 going back to Wolfson inside (i wish).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones