• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats all the excitement around handcent?

How else is it better than the stock messaging app?

Because I get to see this every time I read a text message...

Katy-Perry-Topless.jpg

Upvote 0
Handcent makes sense if you have a text heavy friend. One of my friends has sent me over a thousand texts, and if I load them in HTC's text app, it takes forever to load up. Handcent allows the option to hide older messages.

I've been trying to set this up and couldn't find it for a while now. Still don't see it. Where's the setting for this in Handcent? I know the stock app allows you to set this. If you set it in the stock app, will Handcent reflect the changes when the stock app deletes them?

Upvote 0
I have switched between Chomp and Handcent since I got my Dinc on launch. Ive stuck with Chomp for now. But both seem to suck at deleting large threads, they will just sit there or the screen go black. It will eventually fix itself in a few minutes but still annoying. Handcent game me more trouble, it seemed, than Chomp. Both are far better than stock tho.

AdBlock doesnt remove ads from Chomp for me either. :mad:

Upvote 0
you can adjust those features if you dont like them....why not try it out!

I've tried them all out, i actually just prefer the stock app. yeah the customization is pretty cool and I'm not knocking handcent or chomp (except handcent does roll up some updates that occasionally that wreak havoc). i find pics in the background annoying, I enjoy vanilla ice cream occasionally too :p

The newer stock message app you can limit the size of the threads so that 1000 message thread doesnt hammer your phone because tada....they don't exist!

Also, maybe handcent does this now, it didnt have it last time i tried but i LOVE the fact that when I actually have the conversation open (in the stock htc app) and the screen is on (obviously I'm looking) my phone isnt bleeping or blooping. Pretty sure the stock moto x app does the same.

Upvote 0
#1 reason i use it is because the stock sense messaging app would have a slight delay opening threads. handcent does not.

on my moto droid (stock vanilla, no sense) i didnt handcent
So you think it's better on the DInc? It ran horribly on the Eris which is why I don't use it now. I'd be willing to give it another shot, though.

Upvote 0
I dont get it, what am i missing that the masses seem to know? I see it allows you to change the colors and puts them in little bubbles....how cute, but they actually reduce the number of viewable messages on the screen.

It is this customization feature that people like most? How else is it better than the stock messaging app?

Inquiring minds want to know...
I don't have short term memory loss so I don't care.

Upvote 0
I'm considering paying the $5.99 for Handcent VIP. Has anyone bought it and what benefits does it offer? For all I can see it just takes away ads when you are in settings, which I NEVER see anyway because I don't go to settings. Any other benefits? Anyone do it and can give feedback on their decision?

EDIT***

Never mind, I did research on it and found out that it removes ads, and offers you an online option to back up your text messages (which Google does for free), and back up settings (which ROM manager does for free). I can't see the benefit of the paid version $5.99 is a lot of money for something that you can get for free.

Upvote 0
I'm considering paying the $5.99 for Handcent VIP. Has anyone bought it and what benefits does it offer? For all I can see it just takes away ads when you are in settings, which I NEVER see anyway because I don't go to settings. Any other benefits? Anyone do it and can give feedback on their decision?

EDIT***

Never mind, I did research on it and found out that it removes ads, and offers you an online option to back up your text messages (which Google does for free), and back up settings (which ROM manager does for free). I can't see the benefit of the paid version $5.99 is a lot of money for something that you can get for free.

Supporting the developer is another reason to buy the paid version.

I just ran into an issue with Handcent. I just got a Samsung Fascinate and have WidgetLocker. I have pop ups turned on. Whenever I get a new text, it pops up like it is supposed to. However, when I press the text field and the keyboard pops up, the notification window does not move up like it is supposed to, so the keyboard is covering the text part of the window and I can't see what I am typing. Turning off WidgetLocker does not help.

Anyone else run into this issue? It was working fine on my Incredible with WidgetLocker.

Here is what I am talking about:

snap20101003_212618.png

snap20101003_212613.png

edit: switching to stock keyboard does not help, either

Upvote 0
I really like handcent a lot, I feel like I would dislike my dinc a little bit without it. The stock SMS app is a pain. But I really hate this glitch with the popup feature. When I send a message, the keyboard goes away, and my whole homescreen slides down from the top of my screen, like it was pushed up by the keyboard. It's really annoying. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones