• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats all the excitement around handcent?

carbine, i had that problem too. it's just aesthetically annoying, no real problem tho. however, i stopped using popups...i realized that in 2.2, typing in the popup is much laggier than in just the app, and since 2.2 completely ruined typing on this phone causing ALL typing to randomly lag, i just turned that popup off.

Upvote 0
Supporting the developer is another reason to buy the paid version.

I just ran into an issue with Handcent. I just got a Samsung Fascinate and have WidgetLocker. I have pop ups turned on. Whenever I get a new text, it pops up like it is supposed to. However, when I press the text field and the keyboard pops up, the notification window does not move up like it is supposed to, so the keyboard is covering the text part of the window and I can't see what I am typing. Turning off WidgetLocker does not help.

Anyone else run into this issue? It was working fine on my Incredible with WidgetLocker.

Here is what I am talking about:

snap20101003_212618.png

snap20101003_212613.png

edit: switching to stock keyboard does not help, either
ok maybe im confused but you are in google voice?

does this happen when you click on the handcent icon and type a message there?

Upvote 0
nah hes not, hes texting FROM his google voice acct,w hich he put in his phonebook as 'google voice'

Correct

does this happen when you click on the handcent icon and type a message there?

Also correct :)

I have WidgetLocker and LauncherPro Plus installed. When I disable BOTH of these (not just one) the window moves up like it is supposed to. Does anyone else have both these apps and run into this issue?

Upvote 0
I use Handcent but I leave the stock app enabled for one reason: Message preview on the lock screen. When I'm at work I love to just hit the power button, check the message under the lock screen then cut my phone off before anyone notices :p

Is there anyway for Handcent to do this? It seems it only works with the stock app

Upvote 0
I think earlier in this post I defended handcent. I'm not taking back this statement however I am noting that I have deleted handcent and switched to Chomp for the time being. The last update from handcent has made it very unstable with multiple force closes and is driving lag into the keyboard. Not happy one bit about the change, I hate chat bubbles.

Upvote 0
I think earlier in this post I defended handcent. I'm not taking back this statement however I am noting that I have deleted handcent and switched to Chomp for the time being. The last update from handcent has made it very unstable with multiple force closes and is driving lag into the keyboard. Not happy one bit about the change, I hate chat bubbles.
i wont lie, i noticed the lag in handcent upon the recent update as well....somewhat annoying. wonder why this is?

how does chomp compare to handcent?

Upvote 0
Along with the other opinions here, I use handcent for the notification customizations. My phone is on vibrate most of the time and with the stock app, the notification is only 2 little vibrations. Handcent, however, has the ability to change the vibrate pattern for notifications, ie default, normal, long, mult short, mult long and completely custom. This tips the scales in my opinion.

I too have my phone on vibrate most of the time and would love to figure out how to get the custom feature to work a bit better. Anyone want to help?:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
With the stock message app when the threads would get filled with a lot of messages the thread would take forever to open with handcent there never is a lag no matter how many messages are in the thread
I found the complete opposite to be true on my Incredible! Handcent slowed the text threads down noticeably!

Handcent is so overrated! I am hoping Chomp gets faster and lighter and I might switch to that. For now I am happy with default texting and SMS Popup.

Upvote 0
I started out with Handcent as my first SMS replacement app and it was very good. But then I started to change more things on my phone like adding WidgetLocker and LauncherPro.

After doing this, I tried Chomp SMS and kept it for the sole reason that it will allow reply with a landscape keyboard without unlocking the phone (example: instant text alert with pop-up window on lockscreen- rotate phone- hit "reply"- full landscape keyboard). I haven't found another SMS app that would do this without exiting the pop-up, unlocking the phone, then going back to the message to type a reply with the bigger keyboard. All other apps I have tried only have the mini-qwerty in portrait while on the lockscreen.

Other than that, I like it beyond the stock program just for the customization and ability to assign separate tones to each contact for messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones