1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Accessories what's all this dock issue that I'm hearing about

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kenio8185, Feb 16, 2011.

1. kenio8185

kenio8185 Member

So from what I can get from other topics, it's that you need to teather while docking. Not sure if I got that right, could someone explain what's going on with it?

Like what if I just disabled 3G on the phone (I live in Canada, so no 4g anywhere for me yet, so that shouldn't be a problem), will it still teather?

Advertisement

2. IrrelevantD

IrrelevantD Newbie

From what I understand, you only need to tether when accessing the web on the carrier network via Firefox when connected to the dock. If you are on wifi its no big deal. The other issue with the dock is the price. Unless you buy the bundle (which saves you a few hundred up front), it costs $500. If you get it with the phone, it's only $300, but that requires you to sign up for the tethering plan.

My personal opinion is that I can get a $300 net book or low end laptop that can do more than just firefox and find a workaround to tether if I need data when not on wifi. What they are charging for what you get IMHO is absolutely insane.

3. scrounger

scrounger Newbie

Since you live in Canada, I will assume that you will not be on AT&T. They are requiring tethering is you use the laptop dock on their network. Check with your carrier. You should not need tethering for the multimedia dock or when you are using wifi.
    Hope this helps.