• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats going on with AndroidForums.com

Rastaman-FB

Extreme Android User
Sep 11, 2009
UK
For the last 2 days Android forums have either been extremely slow taking more than 1min to load a page or it just times out with a 504 page unavailable.
It is possible to access stuff if you are being patient but with no info being given out to users as to why Androidforums and phandroid are running slow im sure people will be getting frustrated as its a big community and people browse the forums regularly.

I know its not just me as ive had this problem on multiple computers on different isp's and even the mobile site is not working properly.

can you let us know whats going on?

This is agreeably unbearable. Believe me when I say we're as unhappy about it as you all are.

Unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do but wait. This is a problem with the hosting company and only they can fix it. Rest assured Rob is breathing down their necks about it. This has gone on far too long. (I'm not sure if this is the first time they've put us through something like this or not - I know we've changed companies before.)

Hopefully he will hear something soon. At least an explanation of what the problem is. (Or even better, hopefully it'll all be fixed soon.)

Very sorry for the inconvenience guys, hang in there.. Rob or I will let you know when we know more as soon as we do.

Upvote 0
I think the person who created the forum was responding to the need of a place where people can get their questions answered and interact with other users. There are many new Android users with questions they need answered.

No divide is being created, if anything the new forum is filling the void left by this one.

Reliability has been an issue with this forum for a week now, you never know when or if you're going to make it here. Not to mention the lack of response to members who sent e-mails to the administrators.

Upvote 0
Just an update:

- Ok, the problem is due to high traffic. Just last month phandroid hit the 1 million views per month mark, and now phandroid/af is sitting at 2 million. The new device probably had something to do with the sharp increase. We've had to up the dedicated server count before, and now we're going to have to do it again. So therein lies the problem. Rob is working on it - that's his area.

- Creating the other forums, what can we say.. go for it, and have fun! It is an awesomely fun adventure. :) But seriously - don't spend your time promoting it here. (And putting links in your signature "Go to forums that DON'T suck". That's just plane rude. We're doing our best to handle the sudden unexpected overload and we'll get it fixed.)

We'll let it go for now during this rough patch but once things get back to normal don't plan on using this place to advertise. You won't allow it there either so don't get too mad at me. ;)

Edit: On second thought (discussion), we're less inclined to be polite about it considering the middle finger we're being given in the signature/wordings. With that in mind, we've opt'd to remove the links and not permit the advertising. That's right - we're taking our football and going home.

- "Not to mention the lack of response to members who sent e-mails to the administrators." ... I apologize tp those who have inquired and got no reply. I myself have not received one single email. Not one. Rob has personal reasons as to why he's been away from his computer. I wish I'd known about the emails before now. I've got some questions in IRC from mods but that's it.

Thanks for hanging in there guys and we are very sorry about the inconvenience. Trust me on that. Yes, we were hit with a bit of a surprise. Yes - we will get sorted.

Please feel free to email or PM me with any concerns/questions.

Upvote 0
Politics politics. Be happy. AF is back up and there are lots of Android phones on the horizon. Let's be friends. No sides and no negativity from either party.

Sorry, I had to put some happy in this thread. I hate politics, and it's just a phone.

Thanks, Phases, for letting us know what was up.

Upvote 0
Rob I don't know what you did but its back and I’m glad.

I’m not sure if it helps but another forum I use is PPrune (professional pilots rumour network) and it has a traffic limit on it. When ever there is a crash or serious incident the traffic goes nuts. When it cant cope it only lets existing members inside.

Not sure if you can do it here but might be worth considering.

Upvote 0
must say when i did eventually get on to make this original thread (many refreshes and some 10 mins later)
i did notice it had 20 members and 376 guests just on android forums main page, this is excluding phandroid

basically you got hammered :p

EDIT:
mind you, everything is lightening quick today and its currently "39 members and 342 guests"
so im wrong

Upvote 0
must say when i did eventually get on to make this original thread (many refreshes and some 10 mins later)
i did notice it had 20 members and 376 guests just on android forums main page, this is excluding phandroid

basically you got hammered :p

EDIT:
mind you, everything is lightening quick today and its currently "39 members and 342 guests"
so im wrong

Ah but, we've upgraded hardware in between that time, hence the lightning quickness. ;)

FINALLY… WE ARE BACK!!! | Android Phone Fans

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones